Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Support Needed - Squirrel Pox Outbreak

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: Support Needed - Squirrel Pox Outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy'sMom

How is interferon dosed? (I mean, oral, IV, injection?) Any idea of the cost?
    Friend took injections for Hep C

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Hello Wheezer and tthank you, I see you are catching up...sad news! Glad your home. saw your post o me in another thread, sorry I was getting back to you, had a bump in the road...G nite

Hi Jackie, I am just getting caught up with this bad news.
    I was feeling as Buddy'sMom about putting the wild fuzzies through stressful treatment and either die or still be carriers. It is a BIG question with sad answers .
    I also wanted to say I think your Rachel and your other releases may have a chance of beating this because of your great care. They probably have strong immune systems and will continue this as they get supplemental food from you .
    My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time My heart aches too

I know the best solutions will be here on the board
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Kathy56 Guest

Prayers coming your way.

Jackie, I am so so sorry to read this. What a terrible thing for ya'll to have to go through, and such terrible decisions to make. Even though you know that you can't leave them to suffer, it doesn't make things any easier for you. I wish I knew something I could do or say to make things better, but all I can do is sit here and cry with you both.

My love and prayers and tears to you and your squirrels.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Apple Corps Guest

Buddy'sMom - the drug I am suggesting is FDA approved and on the market - the experimental part is using it on fuzzers and for viral infections.

The Baytril - I am guessing - is for any secondary bacterial infections - taking some of the load off her system as it were.

Apple Corps Guest

I forgot - it comes in pill form and is highly soluble in water.

Apple Corps Guest

kindismom - NIH research is for smallpox bioterrorism attacks - the drug I am going for is a specific kinase inhibitor - small world.

Buddy'sMom Guest

G'morning all!
    New lead that I am following now -- based on AC's post re interferon. (Human) interferon is understood to be very (prohibitively) expensive and could take time to acquire for veterinary use. (FYI, for the "non-medical types" : it is used for treatment of AIDS and other auto immune disease to strengthen the immune systems. Interferon is a protein that “interferes” with viruses, and allows cells to signal to one another. When a cell detects interferon from other cells, it produces proteins that help prevent viral replication.)

However .... Shaklee Corp (www.shaklee.com) has a plant based interferon patented under the name Nutriferon. It was developed by the man that identified interferon. Nutriferon is a dietary supplement claimed to boost the body's natural interferon (it does not actually contain interferon, just boosts the body's production). Its ingredients include pumpkin seed extract, safflower seed extract, Asian plantain seed extract, and Japanese honeysuckle flower extract. It is readily obtainable (I'm working on that now to see the fastest way to get it to Jackie) and very affordable. Shaklee products are reputable and trusted.

It has been clinically tested to show none of the other's side effects. Shaklee does not promote their products for critter use. There are no formal recommendations from the rehab community. But it HAS been used in critters (not necessarily for squirrel pox …) with good results.

From my VERY fast review of websites about this, and from other info that I trust, it seems worth a try.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY REASON WHY THIS SHOULD NOT BE TRIED -- OR ANY REASON TO DISTRUST SHAKLEE -- SPEAK UP NOW PLEASE!!!!

oh Jackie....I am crying with you.....this is the unthinkable. I am so sorry -- please PM me if there is anything I could possibly do to help.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Oh I am so sorry this is happening, I can check with some of the biologists I work with and get their spin on this. I was not aware that squirrels could get this. This is absolutely awful. My prayers are with you and your fuzzers, Don't give up hope, God Bless
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Dear All:
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank all those who have posted suggestions and ideas and those who are off checking with whatever sources are available. Things are moving pretty fast and I wanted to let you know that even if your post has not been individually acknowledged, that does not mean it was missed or ignored! ALL the posted information is being sucked in and added to the mix.

I know it is frustrating to post something and then wonder if anyone paid attention --- we ARE paying attention and . Just ... no time for the usual niceties (which doesn't really excuse it ... that's just the reality of it )

Apple Corps Guest

Tuesday morning update - already been on the phone with Novartis - may be able to get a tablet of Gleevec - MAY be more effective than Acyclovir and only $10 per tablet - which would go a looong way given the squirrel dosage.

The tablet would be dissolved in water and given orally.

Can someone PM me Jackie's mailing address ASAP?

AC

Buddy'sMom Guest

HELP PLEASE ....

We have a task that we could use some help with --- if anyone can make some phone calls this morning to Tampa-based Shaklee distributors to determine who has NutriFeron ON HAND and would be willing to work with us to get it to Jackie ASAP. Shaklee works only thru independent distributors and there are 5 listed w/teles in the right area code. I think it would be faster thru a local distrib. than thru corporate --- but no time to make calls.

Anybody? Post here if you can or PM me and I will get you this info for exactly what we need to do.

Apple Corps Guest

GREAT NEWS - a tablet or two of Gleevec may be purchased with a vet's prescription at the Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa. They are at 2 Columbia Drive in Tampa - phone 813 972 4673.

Can your vet write a prescription - that way you could have it today? I would suggest one or two 100mg tablets - I'll start thinking the dosage through now.

Also - should your vet ask - Gleevec is a kinase inhibitor that the National Institute of Health is working with to stop smallpox viral replication - early results show it to be highly effective - stopping the replication "in its tracks".

May or may not work with Squirrel Pox - but the Acyclovir or Gleevec route may make the difference.

AC

Buddy'sMom Guest

Info has been passed along -- she's calling her vet now.

If anyone remembers the member Hazel she also had information posted on SP, Medication ect.. that they used.
    This is very sad, prayers for all.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Buddy'sMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
    If anyone remembers the member Hazel she also had information posted on SP, Medication ect.. that they used.
    This is very sad, prayers for all.
    Thanks, rippie -- that was where we started -- unfortunately, her post did not include a dosage. Hazel hasn't been around in a long time (miss her!!!) -- does anyone have a way to contact her to find out what dosing she used? I know there were members that were friendly with her when she was here -- it would be very helpful if someone could follow up and ask her. [The dosage perhaps should not actually be posted, but could be provided more privately.]

Oh my goodness I did not fully read the thread, ugh! I dont know how to contact her.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

My prayers are with you all.

I have no knowledge to help.

I can only read, cry, and pray for both the poor sick squirrels and the humans.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1