Thread: New bunny mom needs help, please

Optima Guest

Default New bunny mom needs help, please

Hello everyone, my name is Patricia and I am new and VERY glad I found you all! What I have read so far has been so extremely helpful!
    I work as a volunteer at Wildlife Rehab here in Missouri and have started getting little orphan bunnies. I am taking them home to care for them and they are doing very well so far.
    My question is, how much Benebac should I give each bunny [each 7-10 days old] and for how long?
    I gave them 3 drops each this morning and it perked them right up, even the one I thought would be a loss is thriving!!
    Thank you, in advance, for your help on this....
    my first OF MANY questions!

TexanSquirrel Guest

Default Re: New bunny mom needs help, please

Hopefully one of the bunny rehabbers will be on soon to help you!

Buddy'sMom Guest

I'm sure some of our bunny experts will be along soon to help you. In the meantime, you might find answers on this thread as someone else recently needed help with bunny care. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9897 If I can locate the Benebac posts, I'll come back and let you know.

EDIT: You will probably want to look through the whole thread as baby bunnies are pretty complicated little guys, but the most specific Benebac discussions were at Posts #23 and 40-41.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

just remember to keep them warm and calm. you've got the right stuff, it sounds like, and we have a few bunny experts who can help you with more!

i'd like to add, please be wary of what you find on the internet. the board is usually a great source because we have each other to balance out opinions, but there are some sites out there that do NOT know what they're talking about!

if i were you, i'd call a fellow, more experienced rehabber as well. nothing's better than an extra person who's actually physically there!
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Mars Guest

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Here is a link to some great bunny info http://www.squirrelworld.com/RabRehab2.html. The single most important thing with baby bunnies is getting them the good bacteria. As that link says, the best way to do that is by getting the special night time number 2s from a domestic rabbit. Do you have a rabbit or know someone that does? If not, I use Bene-bac as a back up to give them the bacteria they need. Do you have the tube of bene-bac or the powder?

For the tube of bene-bac, the amount that you need is so small it can't be measured. What I do is add a couple drops to their milk for that feeding. Don't give it to them straight from the tube because they can choke.

If you have the powdered bene-bac add 1/8 tsp. of bene-bac to 1/2 cup of already made up formula.

I give the bunnies the Bene-bac in their milk for 2 feedings a day for 3-4 days starting the day after their eyes open. I don't give them ANY regular food until after they have had the probiotics for 3-4 days, then they should have enough bacteria to digest regular food and can have clover, dandelions, timothy hay, etc.

If your bunnies come in with their eyes open, they shouldn't need the probiotics because they got it by eating their mom's special night time number 2s. I usually still give it to them though, if it looks like they have just opened their eyes.

Good luck with your little ones! I can't wait for the first bunnies of the season here!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Optima Guest

You have all been so awesome!
    Thank you for the great information!
    As soon as I can, I will post pictures of the littles, these are my first of the season and I am so excited!
    I think I will get the benebac powder because this tube is hard to use and measure. I found that our pet store will give us bunny #2's when we ask and I was happy to learn that. I grabbed some tonight and the babies took to it right away.

Optima Guest

Here is a picture of each of my bitty babies. They were hungry and not holding very still for their pictures. They are still doing very well!
    Went into work last night and found out we received a baby FOX!! He is sooooo adorable! I added a picture of him too.

Talking Re: New bunny mom needs help, please

First of all to TSB! So glad to have you with us!!!
    OMGoodness! Those bunnies are so tiny! And adorable. That fox is just the icing on the cake. Too cute. I think he's a great candidate for our photo contest. http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/foru...ad.php?t=10045
    It's so nice to have you with us. Keep those adorable pics coming. And by the way. Feel free to introduce yourself when you find the time...
    http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/foru...splay.php?f=83
    See ya later.

Thanks for sharing the fox! Wow is it cute.
    I'm a bunny fan as well as a squirrel fan and I wish I knew more about wild bunnies. I was offered some last year and declined (they went to a proper rehabber) because I knew I'd either screw it up or get too attached. So thank you for helping the little ones - Good job!!

FuzzyTail Guest

Wow..big bunnies..they look much older...eyes open, ears errect...good coat of fur..seem closer to 21-23 days....
    Eating solid food? Refusing formula?
    Look almost ready for release into a nice bunny thicket!!!

I would feed wild diet as directed by your centers resident licensed wildlfie rehabber...not what we suggest, becasue we have not seen/examined your bunnies.

They know the bunnies, have done the exams, have the weights and all that..
    so do what they advise and keep it simple.

Sounds like they are on the right path for release very soon!!!
    Thanks for the pics!

Cure red fox too!!

Optima Guest

Thank you for the advice, these babies are getting big and doing very well. Their eyes opened on 4/6 & 4/7, so I place the age at around 12 days old today,
    just my guesstament. I looked at the pictures again and they do look big. I will try to take more pictures soon and
    resize them to fit the screen.
    (the pictures, not the bunnies)
    They are still on formula - 5cc's twice a day and still not very interested in greens. They take to strawberry tops more than romaine lettuce. The possibility of diarrhea, I am in no hurry to give solid foods.

I am actually looking forward to their release, I have the perfect site and I know they will be so happy!

i have 10-11 day old cottontails eating formula how much bene-bac powder to formula would you reccomend?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.