PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for injured Squirrel in Rochdale area UK.

ljhpsauce
04-05-2008, 12:25 PM
hi its Lisa ( aka ljhpsauce) here, i have just had a lady in the Rochdale area phone me wanting help for an injured squirrel that she found crawling along on its belly on her garage roof,she has taken him inside, wrapped it up and put it in a box to keep warm but she sais his back leg seams to be injured although there are no injury marks on it the only thing is she said it is wet and he trys to get up but then looks at his back leg and flops back down again. i have suggested that it really needs to be seen by our 24 hour vet (it will be free of charge as it is a rescue and wildlife) Which is in Swinton they may even be able to collect it from her if the ambulance isnt busy i will also try to get to her if she has any difficulties getting to the 24hr vets,but i advised her to 1st try them,But what i was wondering is is there anybody else "UK ReHabbers" out there that may live a little closer than i as i live at least an hour away. But if not i will see what i can do.

Abi
04-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I do live on the other side of Manchester (the south bit) and Rochdale really, is a little too far to travel (it's very much north of here), however, what assistance I can provide I'll do that (lack of funds and transport here)

I've also been helping someone in the UK with their baby squirrel that they found - if I could get a response from this person, I'd feel better (it's someone on another forum where grey squirrels are seen as pests... irony? it's supposed to be a wildlife/nature forum... yeah.. I thought that too...although, I did point them in this direction for help and assistance!)

Also, there have been some precious little snowflakes using air-powered guns where I live... heaven knows what damage they've done, but right now, if they've injured or seriously hurt something, it's got no chance of survival as to add to the matter, its now SNOWING.... and my next chance of getting out properly at the back won't be until after the weekend......

Any sort of rehabbing is slightly out of the question as we're due to go to London (again) in 3 weeks time and to be honest, while there's a bunch of gung-ho precious little snowflakes around, I wouldn't want to further damage another squirrels life here right now. As far as I am aware, the police have been informed but as is always the case - they're slow to react. Air guns in the UK have been made illegal - as have many other weapons..

I'm actually finding it hard keeping my gang together - the recent easter break here has been tough on them because of the idiots as previously mentioned. I've got sparrows nesting all around me, blackbirds singing all through the night and I'm desperately worried sick about the next innocent animal to get shot as I really do appreciate everything around me!

Yes, it has upset me and angered me and infuriated me aswell as reduce me to tears...

Ok, sorry to go on!! ;)

jules
04-06-2008, 08:26 AM
hi its Lisa ( aka ljhpsauce) here, i have just had a lady in the Rochdale area phone me wanting help for an injured squirrel that she found crawling along on its belly on her garage roof,she has taken him inside, wrapped it up and put it in a box to keep warm but she sais his back leg seams to be injured although there are no injury marks on it the only thing is she said it is wet and he trys to get up but then looks at his back leg and flops back down again. i have suggested that it really needs to be seen by our 24 hour vet (it will be free of charge as it is a rescue and wildlife) Which is in Swinton they may even be able to collect it from her if the ambulance isnt busy i will also try to get to her if she has any difficulties getting to the 24hr vets,but i advised her to 1st try them,But what i was wondering is is there anybody else "UK ReHabbers" out there that may live a little closer than i as i live at least an hour away. But if not i will see what i can do.

HI, Sorry I didn't get here before now!
I think you have given her the best advice so far. If you look on the 'UK forum' under 'Uk rehabbers', there are lists of other places that might be closer to her! Post 4 is a good one to try, as they have a database of rehabbers all over the UK (Meon Valley Wildlife rescue) Telephone: 01329 832933 / 835931 • Fax: 01329-835933 • Mobile: 07903-297712
E-mail: enquiries@squirrels.info

You are actually closer to her than I am. I hope all turns out well! Good luck and keep in touch! :thumbsup

Thanks GB for passing on that great advice!:thumbsup
And Thank you BM for PM-ing me!:thumbsup
Jules. :Love_Icon

ljhpsauce
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks every1 for all your help, i did give her pretty much of the advice you have posted, except the Squirrel is Not a baby it is full grown but thanks anyway she eventualy got it to our vets but i dont think the out come must have been too good., because they would have then normaly contacted me to let me know about the injured squirrel and how it was doing etc.anyways thanx again everyone for your care and concern.:Love_Icon

ljhpsauce
04-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Are you anywhere near Derbyshire? Jules is a GREAT rehabber.

Here is an Emergency post for squirrels. It isn't just for BABY squirrels. If you can relay any of this info to the woman, that will help her, until help arrives.

Emergency Care for Baby Squirrels

Don’ts
Don’t try to feed the squirrel.
Don’t handle him more than you have to.
No loud voices, TV, music, or bright lights.
No children or pets in the same room!

1. Warm the Baby (never feed a cold squirrel!)

Quick Methods:
-Cup the baby in your hands or under your shirt next to your skin.
-Fill a plastic bottle with very warm water. Wrap in a cloth, place next to baby, and cover him. Reheat every 2 hours.
-“Rice Buddy”: Fill a sock with 1 cup of rice or dried beans and microwave for 30 seconds. Place next to baby and cover him. Reheat every 2 hours.

2. Find a Box or Container
A shoebox will do for small babies. A baby that can walk will need a larger box with a lid (with holes). Put a clean baby blanket, flannel shirt, or piece of fleece in the bottom of the box. No towels or terrycloth. Squirrels can get tangled in the loops. Place baby on the material and cover him with one flap. If you have a heating pad, turn it on low and place it under half of the box (not IN the box!) so baby can move away if he gets too warm. You can use the plastic bottle or rice buddy described above, but these are only temporary methods until you get a heating pad, since they must be reheated every 2 hours and won't keep baby warm all night.
NOTE: Monitor his temperature so he doesn’t chill or overheat. His feet should feel warm to the touch.

If the baby is injured, is having trouble breathing, has fly eggs on his fur, or is very skinny or dehydrated, he needs emergency care by an experienced rehabber or vet.

3. Rehydrate the Baby

Most babies are dehydrated when you find them and must be rehydrated before you can feed them. Never feed formula or food of any kind to a dehydrated baby!

Check for Dehydration
Pinch the skin on the back of his neck. If it doesn’t spring back immediately, the baby is dehydrated. If the pinched skin stays up like a tent for more than a second, the baby is badly dehydrated. Other signs of dehydration: pale grayish gums, dry mouth, sunken eyes, whites around eyes showing, rough spiky fur, dry scaly skin.
NOTE: If baby is badly dehydrated, he will need subcutaneous fluids, which can only be given by a rehabber or vet.

Supplies You Will Need:
--Heating pad without auto shut-off (if you don’t already have one)
--Pedialyte (any flavor)*
--Plastic syringes (1 cc size; no needles. Ask the pharmacist to get these for you) An eyedropper can also work.
These are available at most drugstores. You can also order supplies from Chris’ Squirrels and More. (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com)

*If you can’t find Pedialyte at the store, here is a recipe for homemade Pedialyte:
--1 teaspoon salt
--3 teaspoons sugar
--1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

How to Prepare the Pedialyte
Use a plastic syringe (with or without a nipple). Never use pet nursers or doll bottles. They will choke the baby. Fill a coffee mug with hot water. Fill the syringe with Pedialyte and place it in the mug for a couple of minutes. Squirt a drop on the inside of your wrist to make sure the liquid isn’t too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.

Proper Position
A tiny baby can be held in your hand. A baby with fur can lie on a flat surface on his stomach. A baby that can walk can be held upright or he can drink sitting up. Hold the syringe so the tip points UP to the baby’s mouth and the handle is down. Don’t let the baby get cold. Keep him wrapped up while he eats.

How to Feed Fluids
Place the syringe tip on the baby’s lips (from the side) and squeeze out one drop for him to taste. Don’t squirt a steady stream. Let him swallow one drop before squeezing more. GO SLOW! It sometimes takes a feeding or two for them to catch on. Hairless babies are fed drop by drop. With older babies (once they catch on) you can squeeze slowly for one second, wait for him to swallow, then squeeze more.

If fluids dribble out his mouth or come out his nose, you are going too fast. Stop and tilt the baby’s head down so the fluid drains out (support his head and neck like you would a human baby). Then wipe his nose and mouth with a tissue. Start over, slower. NOTE: There is now a chance your baby will develop aspiration pneumonia from inhaling fluid in his lungs. This is fatal. Please contact a rehabber or vet, or the people at The Squirrel Board, for assistance.

How Much Fluid to Feed
Give 1/2 to 1 cc every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours. Then give it every 2 hours around the clock. Do not feed Pedialyte for more than 24 hours. It is not a subsitute for formula. Refrigerate Pedialyte after opening. Throw away any open bottles after 3 days.

Check the baby every few hours using the “pinch test” described above. As baby rehydrates, he should “perk up” and become more active. Rehydrate all babies for at least 2 hours before feeding formula or food of any kind. Severely dehydrated babies should be rehydrated for 24 hours before feeding.
Note: If your baby will not take any fluids, he must go to a rehabber immediately or he will die.

Potty Time
A baby that is not fully furred will need help to pee and poo. Normally, the squirrel’s mother will lick the baby’s belly and bottom to stimulate him to go. Before and after feeding, use a warm, damp kleenex, cotton ball, or soft cloth to gently tickle the baby’s genital area. Do this until baby goes. NOTE: A dehydrated baby may not pee or poo until he has had several feedings of Pedialyte.
thanx for your concern and helpful info i did tell her pretty much all of this as well and the squirrel is full grown not a baby but thank you so much for you help, much appreciated:Love_Icon :thumbsup mjs :goodpost

jules
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Any word from the woman on how the squirrel is doing, or if she found a rehabber?

UPDATE;
Lisa is emailing this woman to find out what is happening, but we don't hold out much hope due to the type of injuries inccurred.:dono We believe that she has taken it to the vets, but will know more soon!
Im sure Lisa will keep us updated!:thumbsup

Abi
04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I should've realised - Hatton Hilltop Sanctuary... it's where our local country park has connections and as the name suggests - sanctuary(!)
Unfortunately, I don't have contact details, but... I'm sure that the relevant information can be found here: http://www.reddishvale.moonfruit.com (latest news - Hatton Hill Sanctuary (http://www.reddishvale.moonfruit.com/#/hattonhillupdatep/4524608131))

Thats probably the best I can offer...... :D