PDA

View Full Version : Where did Squirrelybird go?

winkytoes2
07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I recently released a 4 month old squirrel into a secluded section of a local park. We released her into an area packed with other squirrels, adjacent to a rarely used picnic table on a small lake. The first day, after about 5 minutes of cautious behavior, she took to foraging and digging on the ground like she had been taught to do it. She began to ignore us very quickly and began to climb every tree in the surrounding area. I came back 3 hours later and she came down a tree when I called her, but she had been high up the tree with another squirrel. Before the release, she had never been outdoors and had never seen another squirrel as her eyes were just opening when we found her about 3 months ago. Unfortunately for our furniture, we had let her roam free so to speak for most of the last month so she had gotten very good at jumping. She was stand-offish with other humans when they visited though.

Our plan was to visit the area each day to leave additional food/fruit/etc.while she adjusted but all I see now is lots of other squirrels when I visit the site. Do you think its likely that she was run off to find her own territory or has she simply become so wild that I don't recognize her any more? If she migrated, how far do squirrels go? I guess I just surprized that she wasn't there the second day as she appeared extremely excited and comfortable with the new surroundings the first day we let her out. And we guessed it was a female because we didn't see testicles...I hope that was right.

Just looking for insight....Patty

Secret Squirrel
07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Patty,
Released squirrels will need to find and sometimes get driven into an area they can call thier own. Check on her every day and hang out til you see her...up to an hour if you can. Sometimes I sit and talk in a low voice until they hear my voice and will come looking for food. Kids!!!!!

Keep up the good work and welcome to TSB!
I also live in SC, Summerville. Howdy neighbor!!:wahoo

Luv4scratty
11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
When we relalesed our squrriel we wern't sure what wasz gonna happen. The biggest mistake you can make is not introducing them to outside before you let them go. However some squrriels will have there instincts to take over. It may have jsut left the area. It's inportat there timeline. When they like to eat, is when they will most likely be on the ground. Good luck!

TexanSquirrel
11-04-2007, 02:40 PM
:Welcome

anneke
11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I can understand your concern.

Are you going to be going back to check for a while longer to see if she puts in an appearance?