PDA

View Full Version : Remedy for sticking plungers....any insight appreciated!

FallensMommie
03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
I hear a lot about the syringes used for feeding getting stuck, not sliding as smoothly etc...this happened to me. After reading and researching on raising baby squirrels I found this info. from a rehab lady who said to get food based silicone (can get at dive shop) and q-tip the rubber gasket and inside the syringe tube (only need a little, no need for pooling). I called my local dive shop and he said he had silicone but nothing stated "food grade" and then he said my compressor uses food grade but that comes in gallons. I told him I only need a tbsp. full, so he said come on in I'll just give you some, no charge. I have been using it for awhile now with success....no more stuck plungers and no big amounts of formula spewing out. It makes it glide easily and after each use I wash with hot soapy water, angle for excess water to come out and then right before feeding take a clean dry q-tip to dry the syrige out completely and take a q-tip with "FOOD BASED" silicone and swab it. No problems thus far.

Anybody with more experience see a problem with this? Or heard about it? :dono
Just passing on some tips that have helped me along the way as I continue to learn in the raising of Fallen.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/floridatlc/Family%20pictures/DSC05306.jpg

smoknbunny
03-29-2008, 11:43 PM
I've never had one of the O-ring syringes stick but using the others with the rubber head on the plunger I had that problem. I just quit with the other non O-ring syringes unless I ran out and then I used a teeny bit of Vit E. I wouldn't recommend it though because they would disintegrate, maybe on their own or maybe the E made it worse but I gave up.
I heard about the food grade silicone and you could maybe try a baking shop? Just a thought. Or maybe a craft store that sells cake and candy supplies.

TinyPaws
03-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I used them for feeding my rats...I always have many on hand...they can be bought at your vets, they are quite inexpensive....when mine start to stick I just throw it out and open a new one.....:thumbsup

island rehabber
03-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I have very good luck with the Luer Lock syringes from www.squirrelsandmore.com. I don't remember the brand names, but Chris sells the ones with blue imprinting on them. I have used the kind with green imprinting and they stuck a lot more for some reason......I order them 50-100 at a time and find that I rarely have to throw one away because of sticking. I toss them after a few days just for sanitary reasons. :dono

smoknbunny
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Those are probably the ones I had - with the blue writing. I don't think they ever stick! They just have that little black o-ring around the head and the rest is white plastic right?

island rehabber
03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Those are probably the ones I had - with the blue writing. I don't think they ever stick! They just have that little black o-ring around the head and the rest is white plastic right?

Yup -- here's a pic of the 3cc's I use. I only buy a few .5cc's, then a bunch of 1cc's and a whole lot of 3cc's....I never use anything bigger.

TexanSquirrel
03-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I toss them after a few days just for sanitary reasons.

Probably a good idea!
:thumbsup