PDA

View Full Version : Sqiurrel attacked by dog

Caglemedic
03-27-2008, 08:02 PM
My juvenile squirrel that was about to be released was attacked by my dog after my pig accidently knocked over thier cage. He has no superficial wounds but now has a buldge just below his sternum and a round circular bruise on his lower right abdomen. He is laying down on his belly and growling, when he is the swetest squirrel around. Tomorrow my friend is going to take him to the vet but I will fret tonight. He ate and drank a little but his respiration are shallow but good. He was sooo friendly, al the nieghborhood kids play with him. My husband is not a squirrel fan but adores Zack! I am going to put up a heating pad. I will check my email later but if any one has suggestions, please let me know.

TexanSquirrel
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Poor baby. Hopefully a rehabber will be on here soon to help you.

island rehabber
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
He should absolutely be in a warm, dark, QUIET place until he can be seen by a vet. The lump on his sternum may be internal bleeding. This is serious. If you can get to an emergency vet tonight I would urge you to do so. If not, don't handle him or allow anyone else to handle him until you can get him to the vet tomorrow morning. I would not give him any solid foods -- just liquid, like Pedialyte, as Gammas suggested. Poor squirrel. :(

Buddy'sMom
03-27-2008, 10:06 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

momoftooie
03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
My juvenile squirrel that was about to be released was attacked by my dog after my pig accidently knocked over thier cage. He has no superficial wounds but now has a buldge just below his sternum and a round circular bruise on his lower right abdomen. He is laying down on his belly and growling, when he is the swetest squirrel around. Tomorrow my friend is going to take him to the vet but I will fret tonight. He ate and drank a little but his respiration are shallow but good. He was sooo friendly, al the nieghborhood kids play with him. My husband is not a squirrel fan but adores Zack! I am going to put up a heating pad. I will check my email later but if any one has suggestions, please let me know.

How is the baby doing????? Please let us know.

Caglemedic
03-29-2008, 02:46 AM
His swelling went down and his bruise has virtually disappeared. he is emotionally traumatized but is eating and playing i his cage.I don't think he got bit but rather got hurt by the cage falling. he is having good bowel movements and can be pickd up without crying I gus I was over reatin. I love him so.

Jackie in Tampa
03-29-2008, 06:27 AM
yep, I get a little dramatic when Rocky or any of the furballs act out of character, but it is better to be safe and concerned. Hopefully he;ll be ok. :grouphug
Do you remember that song!? " ya gotta keep'em seperated"....wasn't that a song ...? Offspring....maybe I'm having 'brain fade' already this morning...
AAnyway, monitor that little one...:)

Buddy'sMom
03-29-2008, 08:48 AM
It's great news that he appears to be better -- but there still could be internal injuries that might cause problems later. A blow to the sternum (in any species) can have every serious consequences. :dono Did he get to the vet for a check? Since you are in Florida, you have the luxury of being able to seek vet assistance directly. Even if he seems better, it may be best to be overly cautious and get it checked out. Does this vet have wildlife/squirrel experience? If not, we perhaps can help you find someone in your area. :thumbsup

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Good advice B's Mom, there are alot of members in Florida, alot of help!I'll google Summerfield and see if you are close enough for any info I may have. I agree, we are lucky to be able to get help here. Yeah Florida!

Jackie in Tampa
03-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Not too close to us. North of us....I shop antiques up there often! Someone will have vet info soon!:thumbsup
If nothing else...I have 2 great squirrel vets here in Tampa. And a car if need be! Keep us posted on this little one!
A PIG!?! crazy crazy crazy!:crazy :crazy :crazy
ps....I have # for vet tech 24/7...very knowledgable with wild life. Good Luck:grouphug

muffinsquirrel
03-29-2008, 11:44 AM
My juvenile squirrel that was about to be released was attacked by my dog after my pig accidently knocked over thier cage.

Now where else could you read a sentence like this and never even bat an eye????:D

Buddy'sMom
03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
:thinking How is Zack doing today? :dono

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug