PDA

View Full Version : juvenile

yakyung
07-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I have started feeding a very friendly juvenile, girl, I believe. She only wants walnuts and pecans. I bought corn and squirrel mix but it looks like it would be hard for her to bite into. I want to make sure I am not hurting her and once I start feeding - what happens if I am OOT for a day or weekend?? I have never done anything like this before, I am a novice. Any advice in the form of posts or suggested reading would be great. Thanks.

nutz4squirls
07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
SS, you their? If your still up I'm gonna call you. Nutz

Secret Squirrel
07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
:Welcome yakyung!
It won't hurt the squirrel if your not there for a few days...they will find other things to eat on their own. I am sure your little girl knows how to forage just fine.
The food mix you mentioned sounds OK. Do give her some fresh veggies from time to time just so she can get a variety on occasion. Are the walnuts and pecans in a hard shell? Squirrels need hard nuts to help keep their teeth in shape. also it's good to let her work for her food so the hard shell nuts are best....not unshelled because they can get fat and lazy. Squirrels bottom teeth continue to grow daily and squirrels need to grind them on hard objects. Good luck and welcome to TSB!