PDA

View Full Version : lethargic baby

rockiesmom
03-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I rescued a baby .. and we think the age to be about 6 weeks,(we have had him 2 weeks) Been eating great, playful .. then last night we noticed he was not himself. Rapid respirations, cool to the touch. Now, the condition has worsened and I am pretty sure he had a seizure a minute ago. Not wanting to eat. We are holding off on the formula, and trying to get him to take pedialyte. We are holding him, to ensure warmth. (this squirrel is like our child) The only thing we did different was we introduced a pinch of bannana yesterday and a peeled seedless grape? we thought that was ok ? Good heart beat and no clicking noise? We are really scared ... he seems to be going downhill FAST !! Please if anyone can offer advice .. .Thanks so much

Rockiesmom
By the way, we are peeing and pooping normal ?? The only thing we think it might be is the fact that we did not have a heating pad in the cage yesteday. We are so scared .... we want to help this baby

atlantasquirrelgirl
03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
A couple of quick questions:

1. What have you been feeding him?
2. Is he dehydrated (do the skin pinch test behind the neck and see if it stays tented).
3. Do you have him on a heating pad now and if so, is he warming up? You should have him on a heating pad if he is not maintaining his heat, and never feed or give fluid until he is warmed.

rockiesmom
03-23-2008, 07:17 PM
the food is diluted Esbilac

He is tenting a little but not bad

My husband has him wrapped in a heating pad with towel right now ... we have not given food or fluids, because he is still cool even while being wrapped in the heating pad

rockiesmom
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
He is warming up, but when he moves he throws his head back ? In the human world I would call that seizure activity, but he does not seem to have trouble breathing. My husband and I will continue to hold this baby, but it looks like he might not make it.

Apple Corps
03-23-2008, 07:31 PM
You should give him a bit of sugar to be sure that low blood sugar is not an issue. You can wet your finger with water and dip it in some table sugar or a bit of Karo syrup - not much - just a drop or two on your finger. The lining of the mouth will absorb the sugar.

atlantasquirrelgirl
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
OK, sounds like the dehydration is not an issue at this juncture.

How long have you been giving him diluted Esbilac, and what dilution ratio? I'm wondering if it is a drop in blood glucose levels.

You can put him in a box with some blankies, and then put the box on a heating pad to help continue with the heat through the night.

Did he sufffer a fall before you found him? Another theory is that he may have some head trauma that is just now showing some seizure symptoms.

Apple Corps
03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
How much of the grape was eaten?

atlantasquirrelgirl
03-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Good point, AC. Could it be something is stuck in his throat? Grapes are bad for that.

rockiesmom
03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Ok I am going to try the sugar, we have been mixing about half and half of the formula, He has been eating great ..... Not even 1/4 of the grape was eaten, we are nervous parents, so we took it away.

Let u know about the sugar

Thanks

rockiesmom
03-23-2008, 07:44 PM
as I was giving him the sugar he seized once more and died ..thank you all so much for your quick help. I feel terrible that we could not save this baby. We feel like we have lost a family member

we tried little CPR and I listened, but the heartbeat was gone

atlantasquirrelgirl
03-23-2008, 07:44 PM
OK, so the grape is not the culprit. Let us know how he does with the sugar water.

atlantasquirrelgirl
03-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm so sorry. You just don't know what kind of head injury he had before you tried to help. RIP baby.

Apple Corps
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Have you tried tapping him on the nose / top of the head with your finger?

Apple Corps
03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
rockiesmom - so sorry to hear of the loss :-(

Warm, hydrated, breathing normally, no clicking sound, Esbilac, eating, peeing & pooping normally - all great signs for a healthy life.

Just make certain he is really gone - seizures can mimic death for awhile.

rockiesmom
03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok now that I have my composure, Thanks so much for your site and all the helpful advice you gave. My husband and I are deeply appreciative. I am not sure what we will do different if we get another baby, for now we cant even think that far ahead.

Thanks again .. God Bless you and all your furry babies

LynninIN
03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
:grouphug

Apple Corps
03-23-2008, 08:09 PM
rockiesmom - he has a special place in your hearts - there will be more fuzzers needing help and our hearts are big enough to accept them all.

RIP lil fuzzer :-(

Buddy'sMom
03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss rockiesmom. RIP little sweetie. :Love_Icon I'm glad atlantasquirrelgirl and Apple Corps were here with you to guide you through things you could try. Sadly, that couldn't change the outcome.

It sounds like you were doing the right things for him. A healthy 6 week old should be able to maintain body heat, so you shouldn't feel like no heating pad yesterday caused this. Especially with seizures, there may have been a head injury that you couldn't have known about. I know your hearts are broken -- baby squirrels just have a way of grabbing your heart. Try to take comfort in knowing that you gave him a safe and loving place for his too-short little life -- that is a great gift to have given him. :Love_Icon

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Mountain Mama
03-23-2008, 09:59 PM
RIP baby...:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

thundersquirrel
03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
it sounds like he may have had pneumonia. throwing the head back, trouble breathing.....unless he was shaking throughout his body, i don't think it was a seizure.

they're hard to keep alive. don't feel bad.

Kathy56
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug