PDA

View Full Version : please help!!

fishrgrl
03-21-2008, 01:02 PM
hello, i have a squirrel approximately 2-21/2 months old she was recently attacked by a cat. i did not see it happen but her back legs are not working. i have been trying to keep her comfortable. there was no bleeding or open wounds visible. this happened 4 days ago, now this morning on her clean bedding there is blood. i have noticed that her pee pee is a bit swollen and red. she seems very happy but i'm not sure if this is a life threatening issue or even what is going on with her.

Gabe
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Is she able to pee since her injury?

Lady Squirrelly
03-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Cat bites can be deadly to a squirrel. She will prob. need antibiotics.

Keep her warm and confortable.

We are a legal state, thank goodness. I know that Argyle Animal will treat squirrels. I have taken mine there.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
There are vets..over here by me..Im in the Crystal RIver area..its about an hour n a half...from you...
Dunnellon Animal Hospital..352-489-2074==Dr Groupo She is
consider an exotic...I know squirrels arent exotic..But thats what they go under..In THEIR eye's..
Hope this is helpful.
FLUFFYTAILNUT...Rachel

AmyRose
03-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Any time you pee blood is bad. Internal injuries are usually to blame. If the cat didn't puncture the skin, it's possible the pressure went somewhere else. Sounds like a vet needs to see it! Just my opinion... Lady Squirrelly, what does a "legal state" mean?

Lady Squirrelly
03-22-2008, 02:14 AM
"Legal state" means that it is not illegal to keep a squirrel as a pet. Florida is one of those. I can keep my babies and take them to vets (exotic) for treatment without fear. I raise found babies and release when possible.

In many states is is not legal. It you are caught with one as a pet, you are fined and the poor squirrel is taken and killed.

It is really stupid because in most of those states, you are allowed to hunt them.

You can kill and eat them but not keep and love them.

Go figure.:dono

TexanSquirrel
03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Good luck!!!!

Secret Squirrel
03-24-2008, 10:21 PM
CAT CAUGHT IS LIFE THREATENING !!!!!!!
Have you seen a vet yet....cat caught squirrels need to be an antiobiotic ASAP.
Secondly you said she is "down in the rear" are her hind feet warm to the touch or cold???
If you pinch her rear feet will she pull them up or do they just hang there ???
I feel an xray is in order for your girl no matter what. She needs a wildlife vet right away.

AmyRose
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Um, how are we doing? Can we get an update, please?