PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE

mkcccole
03-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I have 3 orphan babies that are about 1.5 -2 weeks. i've had them 3 days and they are feeding great on esbalic puppy formula, but just today i noticed that one of the females tip of the tail(about 1 inch) was red. now it has progressed and has turned black and very dry and dead looking on the tip and it lookes like it might just get worse and fall off,also they all have decreased in the amount of formula that they have been drinking. They pee and poop, they are staying warm, staying clean, they eat every 3-4 hours. what is happening, do they need antibiotics?

Apple Corps
03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Pictures of the tail problem please. Any bites or visible damage that may be the cause?

Are you diluting the esbilac formula with water - full strength per the normal mixing directions may be too much at this stage of their little lives.

mkcccole
03-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I've never posted a pic before. i'll try. she haden't had any thing on her tail that I noticed before. On the last inch of her tail it started out red, then progressed, and now its very sore, crustydark(black)dried up tissue on the last 1/4 inch or so. maybe frost bite? but that wouldn't make sense. I do mix the formula regularly, 2 to 1. should I change? thanks

thundersquirrel
03-12-2008, 12:18 AM
hi there-

we haven't gotten all the information we need, but IF the tail tip falls off here's what to do;

1. apply pressure if wound is bleeding
2. keep wound away from dirty surfaces or feces; make sure there are NO flies in your house, and keep the babies covered to avoid maggots!
3. get bacitracin cream (an antibiotic cream) and rub a little on the wound once a day. make it a thin layer so that it will absorb (don't want babies licking it off).

if you can't find bacitracin, most basic antibiotic creams will work. just run the brand name by us before using it so we can be sure.

i'm worried that the heat source is too hot; perhaps the baby's tail got caught near it and fried the poor appendage. please check your situation to make sure this is not possible (feel around to find hotspots). it's true, though, that the tail end should fall off rather cleanly; squirrels handle tail injuries quite well, usually.

more will come tomorrow.

mkcccole
03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Thank you for all your help. They are back to feeding normal,give or take 1.25-1.8 mL every 3-4 hours,peeing pooping, there aren't any hot spots I have been reugularly checking with a temp gun, I am keeping them in a square shoe box with the hot pad on low on the underneath, inside of the box there is a peace of fleece type material on the bottom with another layer, then I put them down in a sleeve type of fleece. The babies temps are all the same where they should be. I keep them clean and dry. with the female that has the injured tail I put equate (thin layer) triple antibiotic on it, its not getting worse. I'm still not certain to the day how old they are though. Ive had them for about 5 days now. they have fur on most of their body its just starting to get a little darker on the heads. Illl have to get a scale to give you the weight but do you think that I am feeding the right amount. they also don't seem hungry after feeding, they poop,pee and sleep.

Apple Corps
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Sounds as if you are making great progress - thanks sooooooo much :bowdown

Not sure if you know this - most people put the heating pad in so that it covers ONLY 1/2 the bottom of the box / cage. That way, the lil fuzzer can crawl off if it gets too hot and back on if warmth is needed - self regulating.

Hope the tail tip responds to the treatment.

NaturesGift
03-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey! TY for rescueing these babies! If you ever need any help let me know!
I live in Mo to:thumbsup ..and yep Pic are a must have! I would offer advice! but you have been given the best!