PDA

View Full Version : HELP BABY SQUIRREL QUESTIONS

LUCKYSTARZ1128
06-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I HAVE JUST FOUND A BABY SQUIRREL, AND I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FEEDING IT...HE SEEMS VERY HUNGRY AS HE'S SUCKING ON MY FINGERS...

rygel1hardt
06-24-2006, 01:22 PM
My suggestion would be to go to the rehabber section and find one in your area. If this baby is dehydrated and you feed him before rehydrating him it very well may kill him. Also he shouldnt be fed anything other than Esbilac puppy formula or Fox Valley formula made for squirrels. NO HUMAN BABY FORMULA OR COWS MILK!!! He should be fed very slowly with a long tipped syringe with the needle removed and not a bottle also. Please find a rehabber as there are many of them in Florida. Stacey

LUCKYSTARZ1128
06-25-2006, 02:15 PM
THANKS,,,My squirrel is doing so much better now...Eats with a syringe and plastic nipple with esbilac formula...

rygel1hardt
06-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Thats great news I hope he continues to thrive. How old is he? Please feel free to send a picture! Stacey
THANKS,,,My squirrel is doing so much better now...Eats with a syringe and plastic nipple with esbilac formula...

atlantasquirrelgirl
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Glad you were able to find the Esbilac. :crazy

I received a squirrel from somebody last year who was feeding him cow's milk, and didn't seek help until it's sibling had died. Many people don't realize how deadly it can be.

Good luck, and please share photos.

thundersquirrel
06-29-2006, 08:26 PM
how's the baby doing?

we can help you get through initial care, but you may want to consider finding a licensed rehabber for your squirrel soon. a squirrel's best chance of survival is in the hands of such a rehabber. i'm sure you're a capable person, and it sounds like you saved the baby from the edge there. good job. :thumbsup3

if you don't want to give it to a rehabber just yet, you should at least get in contact with one. this sight is helpful, but having a local rehabber in an emergency situation (if one occurs with your baby squirrel) is far better. most rehabbers are kind and understanding people, and if there aren't many rehabbers in your area it's likely that your rehabber would let you raise the squirrel until it needed a larger pre-release cage.

sorry i'm a little late in the running, i just got back from vacation. :peace