PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!!!!!

Pamela
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Hurricane is losing more hair. I have some pictures but I really not sure about posting them. It shows his private parts.
I keep his bed changed and his cage clean. He doesn't have fleas or lice. Its not red. Just no hair.
Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of this?

:thankyou

Pamela, Hurricane & Mister

island rehabber
06-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Pamela I've been researching hair loss in squirrels for you, and it seems that some type of mange or fungus is generally the culprit. You cannot see anything on the squirrel's skin in many of these cases -- just the hair loss. Here's a very informative although scary link: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26949--,00.html

Hurricane may need an antibiotic like Ivermectin if mange is the problem. The best thing to do is pay a visit to a wildlife vet who can prescribe Ivermectin if necessary. If his immune system is otherwise good, he will be OK but this can go on for a long time. Try to get him to a vet if you can. :peace

rygel1hardt
06-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Pamela please feel free to post the pics as I am sure that most everyone here has seen a squirrels business. Are his hairless areas scabby or rough? Is he itching? I am thinking since squirrels are legal as pets in Florida it may be time to see a vet with Hurricane. I dont know what part of Florida you are in but if you post your general location maybe one of the people here from Florida can reccommend a vet for you. Good luck and please keep us posted. Stacey

Hurricane is losing more hair. I have some pictures but I really not sure about posting them. It shows his private parts.
I keep his bed changed and his cage clean. He doesn't have fleas or lice. Its not red. Just no hair.
Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of this?

Pamela
06-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Here are the pictures.

GhosTS
06-23-2006, 08:42 PM
My little boy Sparks is having a hair loss issue too.So I researched on the subject alot.Sparks is having mange.It can be cured with Ivermectin.But since he is so little the vet & myself didnt want to give it to him.

So does Hurricane has scabs in his boddy.Like dandruff.Does he scratch himself alot.Does his skin looks irritated & hard in the areas which has the hair loss.If so it is mange.You can go to a vet and do a skin scraping test to see it for sure.BUT the test is NOT 100% accurate.It might come off negative even if the mange mite exists.If its mange Ivermectin whould do the trick.Consult a wildlife vet about the strength.
Also this can be a fungal attack.If so an anti-fungal oinment can do the helping.

Hair loss is curable.But what does the harm is the stress.In most cases the scratching & hairloss will stress the animal alot that he will not eat properly, & he will get weak, which will lower his immunity & more mite or fungal attacks will occur.Also he will get emaciated.

The main thing is keep him healthy.Keep his immunity level in a high standard.

Good luck.

Pamela
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Island:

I have never taken him for a drive in the car and I don't know how he is going to like it. Do you know of any Homeopathy or Natural Remedies I can use for him. If not other than having him in a smaill cage to go to the vet, should I cover it ?

island rehabber
06-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Island:

I have never taken him for a drive in the car and I don't know how he is going to like it. Do you know of any Homeopathy or Natural Remedies I can use for him. If not other than having him in a smaill cage to go to the vet, should I cover it ?

Pamela, "Bach Flower Remedy", available in health stores or homeopathic pharmacies, is great for animals. Follow the directions for diluting it and then just drop some right on his skin...it won't hurt him but may help him not to stress out. I would put him in a small carrier for the trip to the vet, and yes do cover him so he doesn't worry about what is zipping along outside the car. Squirrels are amazingly resistant to shock....not like bunnies or birds that literally die of fright. GhosTS' recommendation of anti-fungal cream is also a very good one. It does appear as if he has something going on there, though -- a tick or a bite maybe?

Left
06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
pamela, I hope you find out what is wrong with Hurricaine real soon and the trip to the vet is not traumatic to him. I also have a male 10 month old squirrel Rocky with hair loss on his back. I have a thread posted here titled Help: Hair loss on back!!! A picture is posted there also. Although he still has it looks to be one layer of hair left. I can't figure mine out either. C and D's Dad thinks his may be his diet, too many nuts. I noticed Hurricaine's hair loss is on his belly also. I hope it is not mange, the other things seem much easier to treat. The closest vet I can find to treat squirrels is 90 miles away. If Rocky's condition does not improve I will take him though. Think I may try the anti-fungal cream first though. He does not even scratch the areas where his hair has fallen out. Rocky loves to car ride. he has a small cage we call his "to Go" cage so I would'nt have that problem. maybe Hurricaine will enjoy it also. Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!!!

Pamela
06-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I hope to be able to take him to the vet Monday. He doesn't scratch those areas either.
I'll let you all know what they have to say about it. I just hope the car ride goes ok.

Thank You ALL !!!

Pamela,Hurricane & Mister

rygel1hardt
06-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Pamela I have an adult female that has had frequent tooth problems and I transport her to the vet in either a rehab box (A storage box with a hardware cloth panel in the lid) or a cat carrier that has wire ventilation panels in each side and a metal mesh door. Either way the squirrel shouldnt be left alone in it as they CAN and WILL chew their way out if not watched like a hawk. I am happy to hear that you will be taking him to a vet for a diagnosis. Keep us posted and good luck! Stacey

la dame à l'écureuil
06-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I hope to be able to take him to the vet Monday. He doesn't scratch those areas either.
I'll let you all know what they have to say about it. I just hope the car ride goes ok.

Thank You ALL !!!

Pamela,Hurricane & Mister

A couple of times I transported my Jillis in a mesh sack with a solid cloth bottom and some familiar soft cloths for padding from his cage nest. The sack had a drawstring top and I wore it under my jacket like a front facing knapsack. I even took him on a 2 hour train ride like that. He was much calmer being close to my body and could see out but not get out. He was about 10 weeks when I last used it. I'm not sure if it would work with an older squirrel. But the being close to my body kept him calm and he slept most of the time. I use the same method when I take my cat to the vet.

Timber
06-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Hee Hee, Hey Pam, maybe Hurricane needs a product that I saw on TV this morning for balding...called folicare..."for less than a dollar a day you (Hurricane) to can have new and thicker hair". Just call 1-800- 431- 9635. Hope your trip to the vet goes well and that all will be well with Hurri.

PS: Squerly, hope you don't take this as promoting an advertisment. I am just kidding around with Pam about Hurricanes "Male pattern baldness" problem.:icon_devil :rofl4 :jump

Pamela
06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Everyone:

I took Hurricane to the vet. He was an Exotic Animal Vet and he was so nice. Hurricane was a nice young man to. They knew just how to held him.

Ok this is what we found out. They did a skin Scarping and checked his stool for parasite's. It did not show that he had mange or mites. He had no parasite's. But he did tell me that sometimes if they have mange and he named off some that it want always show up. So they gave him Ivermectin and he has to go back in 2 weeks. While he was there they did clip his nails.
Yesterday I went to the pet store and found a small cage used to take brid's around in. It worked great just for the drive to the vet. I'll post a picture of it.

I talked with Timber yesterday and she had me place it in his cage so he could get used to it. And that worked great he got right in it this morning. And if this med doesn't work then you may be right Pam he may have " Male Pattern Baldness" I'll keep the number just in case. LOL!!!

They did tell me that eating a lot of nuts can cause hair lost. So am going to cut back on those. They also told me some good things I can give him.
Phosphorus free calcium power.
Parrot Pellets (no Seeds) like Kaytee Jungle Mix.

I'm so happy that he pass all his little test and nothing bad is wrong with him.
Thank you all for the help ya'll have given me with him. I tried to resize this picture of the travel cage. I know to only use this for short times because I know that on part of it he would eat out of it.

The hard thing was getting him out of the house my cat kept trying to stop me. But he was happy when we came back in the house and he saw that I had Hurricane with me. I don't know what they said to each other but Mister talked to him and hurricane talked back. I'm not joking about that either.

Pamela, Hurrican & Mister

Left
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Pamela, I'm so glad that there are nothing bad wrong with Hurricaine. I've been checking your post regularly since Mon. for more info. Rocky eats too many nuts also. I've already cut them back and will try the phosphorus free calcium powder and parrot pellets also. Good luck and let us know how he comes along.:crazy :wahoo

Momma Squirrel
06-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Great news on Hurricane, that is so sweet about him and the cat. Funny how to arch enemies in nature can live happily together but humans can't !!

rygel1hardt
06-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey Pamela good to hear Hurricanes hair loss isnt mange. Instead of the parrot pellets which probably contain hot peppers I would get him some good quality rodent block. I use
8 in 1 Premium rat and mouse food purchased at Walmart in the one and a half pound box. These are pellets and just the right size for little squirrel hands. Mine all love them and they are very nutritious! Stacey

Secret Squirrel
06-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Pamela ,Hurricane & Mister,
I am so glad you found a vet that is good. It sure makes things so much easier!!!!! There are good vets for wildlife and you have found one.... not only good for Hurricane but good for you and Mister as well.:wahoo

Pamela
06-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey Pamela good to hear Hurricanes hair loss isnt mange. Instead of the parrot pellets which probably contain hot peppers I would get him some good quality rodent block. I use
8 in 1 Premium rat and mouse food purchased at Walmart in the one and a half pound box. These are pellets and just the right size for little squirrel hands. Mine all love them and they are very nutritious! Stacey

Hi Stacey,

I get that same rodent block at wal-mart. He like them but really loves his shelled nuts. But we are going to cut those back and let him have a few in the shell to keep his teeth cut down.

Pamela

island rehabber
06-30-2006, 05:00 AM
You guys are so lucky to have Wal-Marts....I live in the one place in the country which is "Wal-Mart free", and I have never seen this product you're talking about. It sounds great. Wonder if I can get it online....???

muffinsquirrel
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
NO WALMART!?!?!? You poor deprived yankee!!(just kidding) I can't imagine a life without Walmart - we're within easy driving distance of half a dozen of them.

Kidding aside, Walmart does have a web site, and you could probably order it on line.

Good luck, and I will start a prayer chain for you to get a Walmart up there soon - hehehe

muffinsquirrel

island rehabber
06-30-2006, 10:51 AM
NO WALMART!?!?!? You poor deprived yankee!!(just kidding) I can't imagine a life without Walmart - we're within easy driving distance of half a dozen of them.

Kidding aside, Walmart does have a web site, and you could probably order it on line.

Good luck, and I will start a prayer chain for you to get a Walmart up there soon - hehehe

muffinsquirrel

Those better be strong prayers -- they have to get through hundreds of unions and snooty neighborhood organizations in order to get a Wal-Mart here! Thanks and I'll check the website :)

Pamela
06-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Island

Do ya'll have a Sam's Club? That's part of Wal-Mart and they also have it. I looked on the web site and didn't see it but you could call there 800 number and ask for it. This is the name on the box.

Pet Mouse & Rat Food Premium 8 in 1
Made with Corn & Molasses

But now am worried about feeding it to Hurricane the Vet said I should watch his sugar. And reading the box it say's Cane Molasses.

Oh my the box has a web site and phone number.

www.eightinonepet.com

Hope that's ok to post.

Pamela, Hurricane and Mister

island rehabber
07-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks so much for digging up that info for me, Pamela. I will check out the ingredients if I can get a list of them somewhere. We don't have Sam's Club either....the powers that be don't let poor ol' Sam Walton get ANYWHERE near this place, LOL! All we have is Costco (used to be Price Club) and BJ's, but they don't carry much pet food at all.
Hey there was a front-page item last year that caused such a ruckus you wouldn't believe it.....New York City actually let in one....single.....HOME DEPOT!!!!!! AAAAKKK!!!!! :rolf :rolf :rolf

Secret Squirrel
07-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I have been to that Home Depot in NYC while doing a job in Da' Bronx. It was in a hard to find remote area and has a 12 foot chain link fence all around it!!! I have never seen a HD in a fenced in area.....locked gates and all !!!! :skwredup
Island, you must be the upper crust to live in a such swanky digs!!!! :bowdown Hee Hee !

Timber
07-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow, no Wal- marts,no Sams Club, I can't imagin. I live only 4 tenth of a mile behind Super Wal-mart and spend too much time and money there. I even bank there. And after the Hurricanes that is where my husband and I would go to cool off since they had their own generators and were able to open up the next day. If it weren't for Wal-mart, with all the babies I have to feed, we wouldn't be able to afford to eat ourselves.

island rehabber
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I have been to that Home Depot in NYC while doing a job in Da' Bronx. It was in a hard to find remote area and has a 12 foot chain link fence all around it!!! I have never seen a HD in a fenced in area.....locked gates and all !!!! :skwredup
Island, you must be the upper crust to live in a such swanky digs!!!! :bowdown Hee Hee !

SS I'll bet you were at the Home Depot on Gun Hill Road...with that chain link fence. It was one of the first around here and it's in a rather scary neighborhood. Funny thing about where I live: when we moved here it was the early '90's and real estate was in the dumps, to put it mildly. We bought our condo cheap at an auction because no one was buying at all. Now I could never afford to buy my own place if I had to!! Which is good because I ain't movin' :) Of course it's also why I put up with having only 960 sq ft to live in....but that's Noo Yawk for ya.

Pamela
07-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to give you an up-date on Hurricane. He went for his check up yesterday at his vet’s office. He was a good boy and I’m so proud of him. They didn’t even bring out those gloves to handle him. His so sweet and loving he just lets them pick him up. He only fussed one time and that’s when they gave him one more treatment of the med. The vet said that it does taste bad.

He does have hair coming back. I think it’s safe to throw away the phone number, Timber (Pam) for the Male Pattern Baldness cure. LOL!!!!!

He also didn’t seem as stress as he was the first time. This time when we got home he went right to playing and eating. He does go back one more time this coming Wednesday to be neutered.

I have to say how luck I have been to find a great vet. Who knows a lot about Squirrel’s? They treat 100’s. And the tech in his office is great he has squirrels, and knows how to handle them. Am sure that’s why Hurricane is so relaxed with them.

Momma Squirrel
07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Pamela, that is great news about Hurricane, it is so wonderful to find a Vet that enjoys their job still and loves squirrels. So many just think there are plenty so why bother. By the way, does he know his manhood is going to be taken away?? Maybe he should have a day out to have a little whoopi :crazy OK maybe not that would be torture, keep us posted next week on how the surgery goes and give him a kiss and hug for me.

Left
07-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Great to hear Hurricaine is doing so well. He has been such a brave little boy. You are lucky to have found such a great vet. I wish i could be so lucky. Hope his next visit goes as well. Keep us up!!!!:wah:wahoo oo

Momma Squirrel
07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Pamela, how is Hurricane doing since the surgery, we need an update :dono Does he know what happened?

Pamela
07-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Hurricane is doing just great. And I don't think he knows what happen.
Yesterday he slept most of the day. They gave me med's for pain that I give him every 24 hrs. Tonight his climbing in his cage. And I let him out for a little while. They had told me not to pick him up much for a few days.
He doesn't have stitches they glued him together.
He did much better than me. Had it not been for Timber(Pam) I would have had a nervous break down. They called and told me I could pick him up at 4pm I was there at 3pm. So they laughed at me and let me have him. I can't tell ya'll how happy I was when they handed his cage to me and he reached out and took hold of my finger.
Mister was happy when I got home and walked in the with him.

Thank You all for being here.

Pamela, Hurricane & Mister :grouphug

Momma Squirrel
07-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Great news Pam, so glad Hurricane is doing well. Thanks for the update, spoil him even more than usual during recoop time :crazy