PDA

View Full Version : found a pinky

kidzzoo
02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Our cat found a pinky. I do not know if it is a squirrel or something else. We have rescued several squirrels over the years but none this young. We cleaned it up and find no obvious injuries. Got it warm and gave it warmed water. Not sure what to do now. Can send pics after reducing size of file.

Ryleigh's Sister
02-20-2008, 02:42 PM
awwww:D do you know what to do with it?

squirrelfriend
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
can you post a pic so that we can confirm that it is in fact a squirrel? Do you have Esbilac for it?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
02-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Put it on a heating pad set on low, you will need Pedialyte and a syringe with a nipple, A 1cc syringe. Warm the baby completley, then give pedialyte amount according to what baby weighs, do you have a gram scale that you can weigh the baby?
Would you like help locating a rehabber? You may need antibiotic since the cat had the baby in its mouth cats carry a bacteria that will kill squirrels.

After rehydration you can feed with esbillac again, amount depends on weight.

macytree
02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
awww good luck to you. if you find her to be too much work right now i'd love to take her in. our house is pretty empty without the hunny and i'm desperate to do this again. i can't wait to see pictures of her!

FLUFFYTAILNUT
02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Our cat found a pinky. I do not know if it is a squirrel or something else. We have rescued several squirrels over the years but none this young. We cleaned it up and find no obvious injuries. Got it warm and gave it warmed water. Not sure what to do now. Can send pics after reducing size of file.
Hi..Im in The Crystal River area...and there are vets..that can see it..in Weekiwahci(sp).Fl....if need be..just let me know...
:Welcome Welcome to the squirrrel Board...:Welcome
Hurry..get us some pictures..dont worry about resizing them..we'll take care of that for you...just get it on here...

thundersquirrel
02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
keep it warm! look around for mom! she will be frantically searching for her baby if she's still alive. if i were you, i'd put the baby in a shallow box with a heating source where you found it, and watch for a few hours. if you keep your distance, hopefully mother will come to claim her baby!

thank you for helping this pinkie! :Welcome

kidzzoo
02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
attaching pics. it has a long tail. can anyone confirm what it is?

kidzzoo
02-20-2008, 03:31 PM
how do i make the pics smaller?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
02-20-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/feature/174/How_to_determine_the_age_of_a_baby_squirrel.htm
Here is a link to help determine babies age.

macytree
02-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure how to make the pics smaller. Is that shredded paper she's sleeping on though? I would switch that to old t-shirts and cover her up a bit, she'll be cozier and retain more heat that way.

Your should see if her momma is around though.

TexanSquirrel
02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Good luck!

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Welcome kiddzoo!

Can you post a better picture of the squirrel.....we need to see the squirrel in it's un altered state.....so nix the paint brush effects. :D

Keep the baby warm and call a vet or rehabber in your area ASAP. Oh yes, cat caught means antibiotics are necessary.

kidzzoo
02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
i don't know why the first pics look like that. i had to make the orig pics smaller they were too large to send. hope these are better.

kidzzoo
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
how do i stop the pictures from being so large?

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
There is brusing on this baby and it needs medical care....have you tried to call a rehaber or vet yet ???? It's very critical that this baby gets the proper care...asap

Dont worry about the pictures...they are fine...this baby needs medical care first....the pictures are fine it helps us see the baby better .

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Do you have a heating pad or hot water bottle...a soda bottle or zip lock bag work good in a pinch.
Fill the bottle or zip loc with hot water, wrap it in a t-shirt and put the baby ontop and cover him/her with a soft clean t-shirt for now.

kidzzoo
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
since i do not know if it is for sure a squirrel i am not sure how to proceed. the only thing i know is it is less the 2 inches long stretched out and has a long tail. I changed from paper to an old t-shirt and it is on a heated reptile rock platform.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
here's the one resized with the bruising

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
sorry...it's a squirrel!!! email this lady.... nova.avon@yahoo.com she is a rehabber in Clearwater FL.

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 04:10 PM
We have many Florida members and they can help you find a vet or rehabber quiclky. This baby is sooooo tiny and need extra special care which most finders do not have.....no offense...we just see soo many die when they are so tiny.
FTN are you close to kidzzoo ??? I know Pork&bean are in Pinellas FL which is close.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
02-20-2008, 04:11 PM
The most important thing is to get him the medical attention he needs, then you can worry about what he is. Have you gotten a hold of any rehabbers? Since he was in a cat's mouth, he might need antibiotics. Baby squirrels take a LOT of work and they really are better off in the hands of someone with more experience. With a rehabber your little tyke will be able to grow up with other squirrels his own age and will get all the medical care he needs.

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
kidzoo, be sure the hot rock don't get too warm...I don't remember how hot they get....I used to raise iguanas....but not sure of the temp.
Just check with your hand to be sure the baby squirrel dosen't over heat. Check every few minuits until you feel it's a safe heat source for the baby.
You may have to layer the rock with more t shirts until you get the temp just right for the baby.
Don't feed the baby anything yet...locate a rehaber in your area who can help this baby.

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Kidzzoo....here are some rehabbers that may be close to you. Let us know what you are going to do. We are here to help :thumbsup

Florida, West Central region, Pinellas County (Clearwater)..... 727-449-8176
Sally Hannameyer (Director), Safe Haven Wildlife Center, Inc. safehvn@tampabay.rr.com (safehvn@tampabay.rr.com) Wildlife Species: Armadillos, Opossums, Squirrels, Rabbits

Angelic Animals Enterprises, Inc. (http://www.angelicanimals.org/) info@angelicanimals.org (info@angelicanimals.org) Wildlife Species: mostly small mammals, reptiles, and birds (and Class III wildlife); No venomous reptiles Specialty: reptiles (especially snakes); have permit for trapping nuisance wildlife Florida, West central region (Tampa)..... 813-932-9545
Debbie Bond, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator DebbieKBond@hotmail.com (DebbieKBond@hotmail.com) Wildlife Species: small mammals and birds Specialties: opossums and other small mammals, birds, non-venomous reptiles.

Florida, West central region (Tampa)..... 813-340-0529
Jeff Yorns, Permitted nuisance wildlife interventionist, First responder to injured/ill wildlife for all authorities in region. Specialty: wildlife rescue/capture only (delivery to wildlife rehabilitators) Comments: extensive experience with trational species considered "nuisance wildlife", behavior related to tracking, habitat, capture of all wildlife, with emphasis on dangerous situations.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
02-20-2008, 04:34 PM
We have many Florida members and they can help you find a vet or rehabber quiclky. This baby is sooooo tiny and need extra special care which most finders do not have.....no offense...we just see soo many die when they are so tiny.
FTN are you close to kidzzoo ??? I know Pork&bean are in Pinellas FL which is close.
hI..p&b..IS CLOSER..iM in Crystal River area.....(( Citrus County))

jules
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Kidzzoo, this baby looks extremely young and is going to need some intensive care. Try to contact a rehabber asap! :thumbsup

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM

I just want you to know that pinkys that small have a "self sealing skin" for lask of better words.
A cat fang can puncture the skin and the squirrel skin will re seal and show not wound but a bruse instead. So even though you see no actual wounds they can still be present. And the bacteria in a cats mouth is deadly to a squirrel and already at work under the skin.
My rule of thumb is when a cat is even present with the squirrel I give antibiotics as a precautionary measure. A vet or rehabber can prescribe the proper meds and dosage per the weight of the squirrel. They are many antibiotics to choose from.
Don't wait too long before you get this baby some medical attention.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
[quote=Secret Squirrel]Kidzzoo....here are some rehabbers that may be close to you. Let us know what you are going to do. We are here to help :thumbsup

SORRY THIS NUMBER IS DISCONNECTED...BUMMER!!!
Florida, West Central region, Pinellas County (Clearwater)..... 727-449-8176
Sally Hannameyer (Director), Safe Haven Wildlife Center, Inc. safehvn@tampabay.rr.com (safehvn@tampabay.rr.com) Wildlife Species: Armadillos, Opossums, Squirrels, Rabbits

Angelic Animals Enterprises, Inc. (http://www.angelicanimals.org/) info@angelicanimals.org (info@angelicanimals.org) Wildlife Species: mostly small mammals, reptiles, and birds (and Class III wildlife); No venomous reptiles Specialty: reptiles (especially snakes); have permit for trapping nuisance wildlife

I CALLED THIS NUMBER AND IT'S AWORKING NUMBER...AND I LEFT A MESSAGE
Florida, West central region (Tampa)..... 813-932-9545
Debbie Bond, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator DebbieKBond@hotmail.com (DebbieKBond@hotmail.com) Wildlife Species: small mammals and birds Specialties: opossums and other small mammals, birds, non-venomous reptiles.

Secret Squirrel
02-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Got a PM from kidzzoo. :thumbsup They got intouch with a rehaber in thier area ....I asked kidzzoo to keep us posted on the outcome. That's all I know....g'nite ya'll :wave123

island rehabber
02-20-2008, 08:23 PM
:goodpost :wahoo :goodpost :thankyou:thankyou:thankyou

Buddy'sMom
02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
:thumbsup :alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif

Great news! :thankyou Secret Squirrel and everyone else that helped here! :thumbsup :bowdown

And especially, :thankyou kidzzo for rescuing this little one and finding help for him/her!! You got wonderful advice here, but there's nothing like having access to a local rehabber -- especially for a cat caught little baby like you have!! We all look forward to hearing an update -- and are hoping for a happy ending! :Love_Icon

Oh, and :Welcome

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

macytree
02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=Buddy'sMom]You got wonderful advice here, but there's nothing like having access to a local rehabber

I have to say that is one of the wonderful things about living in this area. There are several rehabbers and a ton of squirrel friendly vets. I didn't end up using a rehabber with hunny but that was mostly because i didn't truly need help. I have no doubt that if she'd been sickly that someone would have stepped into help.

jules
02-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Excellent news Secret Squirrel! :thumbsup

And :thankyou to Kidzzoo for helping this little baby!:thumbsup :grouphug

island rehabber
02-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Especially for a cat-caught pinky....I am so happy kidzzoo found a rehabber who will have access to antibiotics and the correct dosages. The dose is miniscule for a pinky squirrel -- but so necessary! Those bruises on that poor little one's neck looked nasty. Here's hoping for good news about the pinky soon.