PDA

View Full Version : nest placement

Mrs. Jack
06-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Okay, as I mentioned elsewhere, poppy built her nest in a tree branch. She hasn't fallen out again that I've seen, so I think it's pretty secure now. But I keep worrying, because it is directly over the patio behind my shed, which is concrete blocks. I keep trying to decide if I should put something back there.. I've wondered about breaking up a bale of hay or I don't know, an inflatable pool turned upside down... I'm worried about someone falling out and hitting that concrete.

Am I being a huge worrywart ? What are the chances of this and should I actually follow this compulsion or just let nature be?

Timber
06-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Well, there is always a chance that a nest can come down if there is a particularly violent storm. You know I have seen many nest blown out during sever tropical storms or hurricanes. And two summers ago there was a little girl,runt of the litter, that her siblings pushed out of the nest. Fortunately she landed in a thick plush clump of monkey grass. But when she got up and got herself together she headed stright for me whinning. It is scarey to think how many times a baby might fall from a nest and go stright for a cat or dog that may see this as an easy snack rather than a poor displaced baby. I shudder.

Mrs. Jack
06-24-2006, 11:25 PM
We don't have too many storms in summer here... The big windstorms are reserved for fall/spring. So that's good. I will just keep a good eye out, we do have neighbor cats stalking around that we chase off, if anything happened I'd want to get their first and keep watch in case mama came to get it or it needed help.

We just sat out on the steps and watched her hurry back and forth with big mouthsful of maple leaves. My dh was fascinated by her balance on the thinnest of branches.