PDA

View Full Version : Lillian's tail thinning and tip about to fall off... What is wrong???

Princess Lillian
02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Lillian's tail is thinning in the middle of her tail. It is not red nor does it look irritated, but the hair is reallly thin in the middle. I don't know if it is falling out or if she is pulling it out herself. The tip of her tail is also worrying me. It looks like the last inch and a half is about to fall off. Please Help if you know what is wrong and what I can do to help her. Thanks for your help!

island rehabber
02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry your squirrel is having tail problems! Thinning tail fur is often due to nutritional issues -- can you tell us what her diet is like? Also, if the tip actually looks as if it is going to fall off she may have gotten injured there; it would not just fall off unless she had gotten in caught someplace -- in a cage, a door, or if someone stepped on her (it's happened before!). It's hard to tell without a picture, so if you're able to post one of her tail it would help us to help you. :)

Princess Lillian
02-19-2008, 10:44 PM
She gets a variety or fruits and veggies, and a variety nuts and seeds. I also put vitamin drops in her water. I also have a red squirrel who gets the same diet. She has a towel at the bottom of her cage, and she sleeps in a big plush sock that hangs from her cage with shredded tissue inside. Her cage is right next to the sliding glass door, so she gets plenty of light. Do you have any advice as to what I should do or what I am doing wrong? Thank you for your help.

Princess Lillian
02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
:bowdown Thank you for your help. I went to the store and got the bulb and lamp, but I need to know how long I am supposed to have it on each day. Does it need to be on all day, or only a few hours? :thankyou