PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Nose on Several Squirrels

DGannon
02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
We have a small peanut feeder on our kitchen windowsill which the squirrel's love & we can see them up close. One squirrel recently had a badly swollen nose, which looked festered. We found it dead today in the front yard and it's nose had no fur & was badly torn.

Now I see another one with the same ailment. I kinda looks like it was bitten and is terribly swollen & oozing red. What's going on you think??? Are they fighting & biting. I have seen a red-tailed hawk around lately, but don't think he's the culprit here. Then I thought maybe they were getting diseased.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Is this feeder causing too much fighting and biting???

HELP!:help

FLUFFYTAILNUT
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes it sounds like some fighting..and the Strongest one won..
The only way to TRULY know is to take the dead one to the vets autopsy.
If your willing to spend the $.
By the way..Welcome to The Squirrel Board..:Welcome :wave123
Maybe some one else can give you some more idea's of what they think..

thundersquirrel
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
if you've only seen two squirrels with this, i wouldn't think it's a disease. it sounds like they're fighting. although it's mating season, i wouldn't say rights to a female are the cause (squirrels are promiscuous).

it's possible that there's a shortage of food or trees in your area. you could try putting more food out, or hanging wooden nestboxes.

keep an eye on all the squirrels. if any become lethargic, lose weight, start limping, can't climb, don't run away from predators (including you), or simply can't get away, you should consider calling a local rehabber about helping you capture that squirrel.

good luck. ;) and welcome!

DGannon
02-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you ALL! I will try all of the above - especially more feeders. I do think these are both males. I am really amazed and impressed by the quick response. Glad to see there are so many squirrel lovers out there! :flash3

Buddy'sMom
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
:wave123 and :Welcome

Sorry to hear about your poor little friend :Love_Icon . We are seeing "The Mating Wars" being waged in full force now in Maryland, so probably that's what is going on near you also. It's so sad to see different ones show up with a chunk of skin out here or there.

They don't share well -- whether food or females. If it's possible to spread the food around, at least they will be less likely to fight over THAT. :) (not much we can do about fighting over the females .....)

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
:Welcome Thank you for caring about them!

Mrs. Jack
02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
:( sorry. I don't think your feeder is the cause. I've a little guy with a scar straight across his muzzle.. and I've seen similar injuries of the face. I had a female with one such, she didn't want to mate with Teddy, so teddy beat up Zag. :/ she healed up though. I think the death might've been unrelated to the injury, except of course that left squirrelly more vulnerable to other, unless it was so severe it inhibited breathing?

Mars
02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
:wave123 :Welcome :wave123