PDA

View Full Version : Got my Rehab License!

sage1970
06-18-2006, 01:44 AM
I am sooooo excited...I got my rehab license!!! I am the 1st and only rehabber for my whole county.....:wahoo

Just got in 3 little rabbits as my first "legal" babies!:crazy

Anyway, had to share!!!!!!

:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo

Squerly
06-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Congradulation to you Sage, that's wonderful. :thumbsup3 And good luck with the rabits as it is my understanding that they are very difficult to rehab. Nothing like jumping in with both feet!

Do you want me to list your License # in your member name? See Post (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462)

Secret Squirrel
06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Congratulations Sage1970:crazy
You may need a partner since you are the only one in your county once the word get around!!! You just may have bunnies popping up everywhere!! Good luck with the bunnies and keep us posted!!!

island rehabber
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
:wahoo SAGE!! You Rock!!!!!
Good for you Number One, LOL! -- and I thought I had it bad being only number 12 in my county -- but you are IT. Oh boy, fasten your seat belts and get out the Esbilac!!! Good luck with the buns and it's great to have you with us :)

Momma Squirrel
06-19-2006, 07:18 AM
:jump CONGRATULATIONS Sage, that is wonderful, can't wait to hear all your stories. Also want to say :thankyou for taking the time and patience that it requires to become a momma to all that need your help.

sage1970
06-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Do you want me to list your License # in your member name? See Post (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462)

Please do list my number...its 263. Evidently, we do have rehabbers in the state...just not in my area! LOL

:thankyou for everyones support!!!

So far buns are doing fine....not wanting to urinate/defecate when stimulated, but from the looks of things they seem to be going some on their own.....not to sure about that part...never had a baby not go potty when stimulated????? Tried cotton ball w/warm water, tissue dipped in water, finger with water....anyone got any other ideas???

This is something I have done for a long time on my own....I just love the little critters....:crazy

nutz4squirls
06-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Congratulation! We need all the rehabbers we can get. Their are never enough of us! Nutz

sage1970
06-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Update on bunnies...seem to be urinating and defecating now....

Keeping fingers crossed that they make it!

randomblink
07-27-2006, 01:37 PM
So I gotta ask ( and I hope this is the right place to do this )...

What does one need to do to become a rehabber?
I should add that I doubt I could talk my wife into letting us become ONE...
But I am curious...

muffinsquirrel
07-27-2006, 05:30 PM
So I gotta ask ( and I hope this is the right place to do this )...

What does one need to do to become a rehabber?
I should add that I doubt I could talk my wife into letting us become ONE...
But I am curious...

The laws vary from state to state, but one thing holds true everywhere....you MUST have a notarized statement from a qualified physician saying that you are, at the very least, borderline nuts! Luckily, this isn't hard to get, since merely walking in and requesting one automatically qualifies you. Next, you need a statement from all your relatives, friends and close neighbors saying that this is a delusion that you have dreamed of for years, and, whereas they don't condone it, they can at least tolerate it. You and your imediate family must sign statements that (1) you enjoy the smell of squirrels and promise to sniff them at every available opportunity.(2) You think squirrel pee and poop is attractive on furniture and clothes (3) the idea of finding broken nut shells in your bedroom slippers at 3AM is great fun, and (4) you have no problem with the idea of spending all your money on fresh veggies for the squirrels, will mortgage your home to keep them supplied with pecans, both in shell and out, and you personally can live for 3 1/2 weeks on a total of 4 hours sleep, and a few crusts of bread with stale peanutbutter spread on them.

After all this is taken care of, all that is left to do is take courses and/or study with a licensed rehabber, pass a test proving that you know more about animals than God, build various cages that are safe and well built enough to keep everything from pygmy mice to elephants in, and then get your State Department of Parks and Wildlife to approve it all. (Oh yes, and the Federal Government gets in on all of that somewhere along the line.)

Is it all a pain in the a$$, physically demanding, and expensive? Of course it is! Is it worth it? More than anything you can imagine. These rescue babies are a constant source of joy and amazement to us all. Even when you lose one, you know that you did your best, and gave them comfort in their last moments. After you have done rehab work, you will never look at wild animals the same way again.

Seriously, if you do decide to look into it, start by getting in touch with your state's Parks and Wildlife department, or find a rehabber near you to talk to.

Good luck. It's not for everyone, but personally, I kinda like being known as "that crazy squirrel lady".

muffinsquirrel

island rehabber
07-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Amen to that, sister!! Only thing I can add (because I just did the laundry) is that you be prepared to never again have any type of shirt, blouse or sweater without Esbilac stains on it. And they are permanent. :crazy

Drew
08-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey I had a raccoon spit out all his formula and I got it out of my t-shirt. I am a laundry magician lol.
Drew

myflyer
02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
lemon dishwasher detergent 1:6 water, soak...stains bye bye

Dancingsquirrel
02-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Congratulations Sage1970, we will want pix of your babies of course!:D

TexanSquirrel
02-09-2007, 04:40 PM
That is so cool!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
02-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Way to go! Good luck with the little bunnies. I would definetely like to see pictures. One hint for piddling bunnies is that they don't go slow like squirrels, they will make a fountain, so be ready. I learned that one the hard way! I use a tissue and rub them gently but very quick, and before you know it the tissue is drenched. I would recommend having a few ready for each bunny.

Sissy
02-09-2007, 05:59 PM
:wott Congrats on the Rehabber License!!!!! :wott

Somebody's Mother
02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
congratulations!!

WildLifeRehab
03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Congratulations on your permit. :) A tip for raising orphaned buns is to add Biosol to their formula. It truly does help keep the diarrhea at bay!! I had very few buns with wet tail last year, and I attribute it to the use of Biosol. A very little bit goes a long way. I took in over 300 bunnies last season and most of the ones that died were due to dog/cat caught situations. I was able to release 7 that had been degloved by cats! :)

island rehabber
03-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Congratulations on your permit. :) A tip for raising orphaned buns is to add Biosol to their formula. It truly does help keep the diarrhea at bay!! I had very few buns with wet tail last year, and I attribute it to the use of Biosol. A very little bit goes a long way. I took in over 300 bunnies last season and most of the ones that died were due to dog/cat caught situations. I was able to release 7 that had been degloved by cats! :)

Over 300 bunnies????????? Whoa, you are my hero/heroine of the week! :bowdown :)

Gabe
03-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Over 300 bunnies????????? Whoa, you are my hero/heroine of the week! :bowdown :)

Mine too.:thumbsup

Momma Squirrel
03-25-2007, 03:09 PM
:hyper I bet they kept you HOPPING :rotfl I couldn't resist, sorry

That is quite an accomplishment :alright.gif :bowdown

TexanSquirrel
03-25-2007, 04:19 PM
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Too funny, MS.