PDA

View Full Version : Common Mistakes and fixes

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Thought I start a thread where we can list the commom mistakes we see so often, why they are mistakes and how to fix them. I'll begin :D please jump in.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
#1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.

Miss Milo's Mom
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Mars, you may need to add to this, but........Never feed a cold baby. If you have found a orphaned baby squirrel, you must first get it warm.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
#2 Forgetting babies need to be stimulated imediately upon coming in.

Remember the longer they are alway from mom the more they really have to go. And again to avoid UTI it is important to keep the bladder and kidneys working properly. :)

Mikey
01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
#1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.

What? They dont do their... business on their own? Now that I DIDNT know! Well, how do you get them to do their... stuff?:thinking

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Mars, you may need to add to this, but........Never feed a cold baby. If you have found a orphaned baby squirrel, you must first get it warm.

Excellent :thumbsup

Never feed a cold baby.

When a baby is cold their little systems have shut down. Babies must have an external heat source as they cannot maintain their own body heat. Always warm your baby first.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:24 PM
What? They dont do their... business on their own? Now that I DIDNT know! Well, how do you get them to do their... stuff?:thinking

:D Well their mother will lick their genitiles to stimulate the process. We use a cotton pad or tissue.

Miss Milo's Mom
01-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Here's another one I thought of..... Never feed a baby squirrel milk while lying on its back. The milk can fill their lungs and can eventually kill the baby.

Please add to this Mars.

Mikey
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok. I didnt know that! :thankyou

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Never Microwave your formulas to warm them

The micro wave oven messes with the structure of the protein molecules in the formula changing their bioavailabilty. In other words it screws with them to the point the body no longer recognizes them as proteins and does not know what to do with them.

Fix - make your formulas fresh each feeding using warm water or, barring that, use a hot water bath to reheat your formula.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Here's another one I thought of..... Never feed a baby squirrel milk while lying on its back. The milk can fill their lungs and can eventually kill the baby.

Please add to this Mars.

Exactly :thumbsup

Aspiration caused by feeding baby either too fast or in a improper position.

Your baby should be held as a baby squirrel would naturally feed belly down with the syringe held at an angel coming up from below or held slightly upright and again the syringe comes up to the mouth.

AND SLOWLY Remeber baby must be given a chance to swallow. With an eye dropper the method is to place one drop just inside the lips and let the baby swallow then repeat. With a syringe it's tap swallow, tap swallow pointing the syringe at a slight angle into the cheek and never directly down the throat. If the plunger gets stuck DO NOT just push harder. Clear it into a cup and then start over.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Never shake your formulas to mix.

This may seem picky but remember bubbles formed in the formula end up in your baby's tummy and can cause bloat. And bloat can kill. Always treat your formulas gently and stir to mix.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Using the liquid form of Esblilac beyond it's use by date.

Actually this is just 72 hour after you open the can. And you may not think it is spoiling but trust me it is.

Easy fix - liquid Esblilac can be frozen. Use an Ice cube tray and then thaw out only what you will use each day at a time. Agian do not use the mirco wave to thaw with.

Miss Milo's Mom
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Before the baby's eyes are open and off formula keep rodent block in the cage so they can get used to the scent and more likely eat it when they are weened. This is very important because rodent block should be, I think, 40% to 50% of their diet.

Mars
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Before the baby's eyes are open and off formula keep rodent block in the cage so they can get used to the scent and more likely eat it when they are weened. This is very important because rodent block should be, I think, 40% to 50% of their diet.

:thumbsup Great suggestion. It makes a great teething food, too. :thumbsup

4skwerlz
01-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Buy the Harlan Teklad Vegetarian Rodent Diet. No fish meal. No animal fat. No bad smell.

(The KayTee Forti-Diet is vegetarian too, and widely available, though not as high-quality as the Harlan Teklad.)

TexanSquirrel
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Awesome thread, Mars. :thumbsup

Mars
01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Awesome thread, Mars. :thumbsup

Thank you. If you think of any please add to the list :)

4skwerlz
01-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Always mix formula with plain tap water or spring water. NEVER with Pedialyte or distilled water.

Miss Milo's Mom
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Alright 4S, that was my next post. You beat me to it.:rotfl :rotfl

Mars
01-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Underestimating the importance of probiotics.

Probiotics are made up of the good bacteria that lives in all mammalian guts. This is a symbiotic relationship that is vital to the well being of all mammals. Probiotics play many roles - here are two - first they assist in the absorbtion of nutrients from food. There are nutrients the body needs that cannot be absorbed without a healthy gut flora. And 2 they check the growth of the "bad" stuff such as yeast. All mammal babies are born with a steril gut. The gut flora is built slowly over time and comes from the mother's milk. Our man made formulas do not contain probiotics.

Easy fix - Add 1/3 to 1/2 part organic live cultured yogurt to your formula every feeding until weaned. You will see an increased growth rate, less digestive upset and a much healthier baby over all.

4skwerlz
01-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Alright 4S, that was my next post. You beat me to it.:rotfl :rotfl

*insert high-five-ing smiley*

4skwerlz
01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Underestimating the importance of probiotics.

Probiotics are made up of the good bacteria that lives in all mammalian guts. This is a symbiotic relationship that is vital to the well being of all mammals. Probiotics play many roles - here are two - first they assist in the absorbtion of nutrients from food. There are nutrients the body needs that cannot be absorbed without a healthy gut flora. And 2 they check the growth of the "bad" stuff such as yeast. All mammal babies are born with a steril gut. The gut flora is built slowly over time and comes from the mother's milk. Our man made formulas do not contain probiotics.

Easy fix - Add 1/3 to 1/2 part organic live cultured yogurt to your formula every feeding until weaned. You will see an increased growth rate, less digestive upset and a much healthier baby over all.

Go Mars!

I was going to suggest that yogurt be part of the STANDARD formula for baby squirrels. (Instead of waiting for digestive problems to arise.)

Mars
01-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Always mix formula with plain tap water or spring water. NEVER with Pedialyte or distilled water.

:thumbsup Distilled water is PURE H2O. It is completely stripped of other molecules by the distillation proccess. This is not the natural state of water and is called "empty water". It does not like to being in this state and will work hard to get back to it's natural state by pulling molecules for the blood system. Drinking a 8 oz glass of distilled water has the same effect as taking 2 aspirin. It is a very good choice for a cleansing after a toxin, but not for use it in formula as it can't really tell good molecules from bad and pulls nutrients from the body as well as toxins. Spring water would be a better choice.

TinyPaws
01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Suggestions on heating up the formula? and where do you get Harlan Teklad? and if refrigerated how long should one keep a bag of rodent blocks?:bowdown

Mars
01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Go Mars!

I was going to suggest that yogurt be part of the STANDARD formula for baby squirrels. (Instead of waiting for digestive problems to arise.)

Please do :thumbsup :grouphug Just remember it cannot be frozen or you kill the good stuff.

Mars
01-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Suggestions on heating up the formula? and where do you get Harlan Teklad? and if refrigerated how long should one keep a bag of rodent blocks?:bowdown

The safest way to reheat formula is with a hot water bath. Place your formula in a cup and then into a larger one with hot water. I use a mug and then a candle warmer on the bottom to keep things warm.

I believe rodent block can be store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Mars
01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Diluting liquid Esbilac

Remember when we talk about mixing formulas such as Esbilac and it's one part formula to 2 parts water we are talking about the powdered form of Esbilac not the liquid. The liquid form is already mixed and should not be diluted for normal feedings. :) Please let us know you are using the liquid form to avoid confussion.

Mars
01-31-2008, 12:16 AM
One more tonight and then I'm off to bed.:)

Mixing formulas using Pedialyte or other hydration fluids

Can actually cause dehydration - just the opposite of what we want. This happens because the proper balance of salts is thrown off and the formula draws fluids from the body as it passes through the digestive tract. It is much safer to either add a mini feeding of plain fluids between normal feedings or to alternate feedings of formula with ones of just fluids.

Mikey
01-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Dang this place is neat!:thumbsup

Mars
02-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Feeding with too large of a syringe

Babies under 50 grams are best fed with a 0.5cc syringe. from 50 to 100 grams I use a 1cc syringe. Over 100 grams a 3cc syringe works. And if you have a baby still nursing at over 200 grams a 5cc syringe is okay. If you think about it the diffierence in one tap on a 1cc syringe vs a 0.5cc is twice the volume and since it's coming through the same size hole comes through with twice the force. The difference between a 3cc and a 1cc syringe is 3 fold the volume and 3 times the force. Aspiration is a real danger if baby gets way to much in it's mouth at once to swallow properly.

Sarabi
02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
another add on Never feed cows milk.:nono

Mars
02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
another add on Never feed cows milk.:nono

Exactly :thumbsup Never feed babies cows milk or human baby formulas

30 years ago this was all we had. The success rate over all back then with that formula was very poor. Cow's milk has natural growth hormones in it to support a critter that will weight nearly a 1000 pounds in a very short period of time. And today's milk (unless you have your own cows) is not the milk of thirty years ago. Now, above and beyond the natural hormones, there are chemical hormones and antibiotics in the milk. It has been homgenized and pasturized and vitmined D and diluted and somehow given a much longer shelf life than real milk. It has been played with so much the calcium is no longer has it's natural bio availablity. Which means the body has a very hard time absorbing it. Today milk is more just a fancy junk food.

Formulas made from cow's milk kills babies or leaves them sick with MBD.

island rehabber
02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Sorry I'm late Mars -- great thread!!

Never Underestimate the Important of Supplemental Heating -- ESPECIALLY WITH PINKIES (newborns, neonates) !!!!
Neonates and eyes-closed baby squirrels need to burrow under warm bedding and have heat under at least half of their container. DO NOT PUT THE BABIES ON TOP OF THE HEATING PAD (I have seen this more than once :shakehead) !! Put the heating pad UNDER the container the babies are in. And yes, they can breathe when you cover them up completely with blankets -- they prefer it that way. In the wild they are deep in a nest with a whole lot of leaves and bedding on top of them!

island rehabber
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Another one:

Never Underestimate the Importance of Regular, Frequent Feedings.....especially with very young babies, frequent feedings may mean the difference between thriving and dehydration/death. It also makes them less likely to suck on each other, which is not a good thing! If you feed them through the night during their first two weeks of life, trust me they will be far more likely to live and be healthy. And you will not die if you only have to do it for a couple of weeks. :D

Lady Squirrelly
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
About how old should they be before we can stop the night time feedings?

You last comment made me think that maybe I have deprived myself of sleep when I could have slacked a little during the night.

I would appreciate the info.

island rehabber
02-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I feed them every 2.5 hrs thru the night for the first two weeks....then I'll let them go 3.5-4hrs during the night in the third week -- for example, feed them at 11pm, then at 3am, then I can sleep till 6:30am - :wahooSo you're really only getting up once, instead of twice as you do during the first 2 weeks. :sleep1

Lady Squirrelly
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks.

I have done the every 2 hour thing. When I had 3 babies, it was wake up, get up and make milk, feed for 20-30 min, sleep two hours, wake up and do it all again. Then I fed them through the day too.

I thought I was going to die.

I got them at about 2 weeks old and did that till they were almost 4 weeks. So that was 2 weeks of no sleep for me.

:osnap

scoobysnack
02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Air bubbles in your syringe...

Fix...

Fill your syringe with formula, plunge the formula back out, then refill your syringe. Gets all the bubbles out! I discovered it by accident but I follow it to this day. Errr.. not that my six month old squirrel still likes a taste of formula before bed or anything... that would be crazy.. who the heck would spoil a baby like that??!!

Mars
02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Long term use of pedilyte or hydration fluids can kill

Hydration fluids such as pedilyte were never meant to be used over a longer period than 48 hours. They are designed for rehydration. You can overdose your baby on toxic levels of salt.

Fix - plain water ( not disstilled ) either spring or from the tap. If you have this problem post to the emergency thread and we will assist you.

FallensMommie
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Important to keep young babies warm during feeding time, with no extremes in tempature changes

To keep babies warm during feedings: I always rolled a blankie/fleece up in a heating pad and when it was time to feed, I turned the heating pad on and while fixing the formula the blankie/fleece got nice and warm. I then would unroll it, and roll under one side of the heating pad for a semi up position and feed on the warm blankie with heating pad underneath.....kept baby nice and warm, and the other part of the blankie/fleece can be flipped over them for warmth and security. Keeps them at a nice stable temp, especially during the cooler nights we have. After feeding I would swaddled with the warm blanket while cleaning the formula from mouth and while doing the bathroom biz.

squirrel princess
04-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Air bubbles in your syringe...

Fix...

Fill your syringe with formula, plunge the formula back out, then refill your syringe. Gets all the bubbles out! I discovered it by accident but I follow it to this day. Errr.. not that my six month old squirrel still likes a taste of formula before bed or anything... that would be crazy.. who the heck would spoil a baby like that??!!
:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump

KimbleSquible
04-04-2008, 05:05 AM
On keeping the formula warm during a feed:
I make up half a days formula at a time, I invested in tiny little plastic containers and I divide the formula into these.
I put very hot water into a slightly bigger cup and put one small container into it. It heats it up really quickly and maintains it's temperature for a good 15 minutes. By dividing the formula I don't reheat it again and again.

(sdfghjjjjjjjjjgfdslt6y) Some input from Scrib the Squib and his stick...

Which leads me to another tip: Cover your keyboard in Cling Wrap!!

Mars
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Not Weighing your baby!

The scale is your best friend when raising a baby squirrel. It can quickly tell you if things are not right. So weight your baby daily. You want to see a consistant weight gain daily as they are growing very fast. No weight gain is a warning signal and a weight lost - even just a gram - is an alarm bell.

Grams scales can be found in the kitchen gadget section at Wal mart for reasonable price. And I tell you truely - if you cannot afford the price of the scale you cannot afford to be raising a baby squirrel. To do it right with formula, food, indoor caging, outdoor caging, toys etc it gets expensive. Please concider this serouisly as you take this on.

Sarabi
09-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Ok, I have a question and need some helpful suggestions. I have 4 babies, 3 are between 4-5 weeks and one is between 5-6 weeks. I change bedding 2x a day and always clean up throughout the day. They are in a small carry cage for now and I take it back and forth to work. Well my boss lady just pulled me aside, and she has has several complaints about the "Odor" emanating from my office. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I have the bottom lined with a puppy pad, then a peice of T-shirt over that then I cover the entire cage with a towel. They are still on a heating pad partially, which seems to make it worse:dono I have been trying to think of ways myself, but now thet want me to set up and area outside of my office, which I hate, because I like to be able to keep an eye on them. (My alternative is behind our office in our compound), maybe in our evidence drop room:sanp3 They would be safe but out of sight.

Sarabi
09-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I have thought of that, it wont hurt them if they get it on them, but what if they inhale some?? Just being cautious, but i did think of that too.:grouphug

Sarabi
09-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I will try it for sure:Love_Icon And let you know.

Tum Tum
09-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a gram scale, and weigh him everytime im writting something on his little note pad, what he weighs, date, time, activity, and then food if any.

Comes in handy. :alright.gif

rocky the secret squirrel
09-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Re: using tap water or spring water.....I was told to ALWAYS use distilled water to make the formula, and although I would have thought tap or spring would have been better, I have stuck with the distilled for 3 years. I find that whatever I read or hear is the only way to do something and the absolute rule, I will find another rehabber or post that swears that (whatever it is) should never be done. I would have assumed that spring water would offer some minerals that aren't in distilled water-is that why you say to use tap or spring?

Anne
09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Witt1189- Take an orange and push cloves into it until it is completely covered. Place the clove studded orange in your area near the door. The orange will last for weeks and cover up any odors. It's an oldie but goody remedy.

Anne

digiandchipper
09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Obviously your boss is not a squirrel person:skwredup ? Maybe I'm weird but I think the squirrel smell is kind of sweet. I do like the orange/clove pomander idea. Or maybe a little mini-fan circulating your area.

Mars
09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Re: using tap water or spring water.....I was told to ALWAYS use distilled water to make the formula, and although I would have thought tap or spring would have been better, I have stuck with the distilled for 3 years. I find that whatever I read or hear is the only way to do something and the absolute rule, I will find another rehabber or post that swears that (whatever it is) should never be done. I would have assumed that spring water would offer some minerals that aren't in distilled water-is that why you say to use tap or spring?

Distilled water is PURE H2O. It is completely stripped of other molecules by the distillation proccess. This is not the natural state of water and is called "empty water". It does not like to being in this state and will work hard to get back to it's natural state by pulling molecules for the blood system. Drinking a 8 oz glass of distilled water has the same effect as taking 2 aspirin. It is a very good choice for a cleansing after a toxin, but not for use it in formula as it can't really tell good molecules from bad and pulls nutrients from the body as well as toxins. Spring water would be a better choice.

I believe the use of distilled water dates back to wanting to use sterile water. Distilled water is sterile but so is boiled water and a much safer choice if you feel concerned your water source may be condaminated.

muffinsquirrel
09-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Ok, I have a question and need some helpful suggestions. I have 4 babies, 3 are between 4-5 weeks and one is between 5-6 weeks. I change bedding 2x a day and always clean up throughout the day. They are in a small carry cage for now and I take it back and forth to work. Well my boss lady just pulled me aside, and she has has several complaints about the "Odor" emanating from my office. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I have the bottom lined with a puppy pad, then a peice of T-shirt over that then I cover the entire cage with a towel. They are still on a heating pad partially, which seems to make it worse:dono I have been trying to think of ways myself, but now thet want me to set up and area outside of my office, which I hate, because I like to be able to keep an eye on them. (My alternative is behind our office in our compound), maybe in our evidence drop room:sanp3 They would be safe but out of sight.

If you don't have this problem solved yet, try getting one of those ashtrays with the fan and filter that removes the smell of cigarette smoke. They are pretty quiet, run on batteries, and are fairly efficient.

muffinsquirrel

rocky the secret squirrel
09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I believe the use of distilled water dates back to wanting to use sterile water. Distilled water is sterile but so is boiled water and a much safer choice if you feel concerned your water source may be condaminated.[/QUOTE]

This is one of those places where my instinct would have been to use Spring water (that is what we drink too), but have used distilled on advice from a rehabber-the idea was that the squirrels would get everything they need from the formula and the distilled water wouldn't have any contaminants in it. I think I will start using the Spring water-thanks!

Mars
09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Good instincts :)

Al's mom
11-08-2008, 07:51 PM
The distilled water ban does not make sense to me, once you mix it with Esbilac it is not just distilled water, it is now formula. Formula is good for baby squirrels, I don't know, I'll ask my son, he's going to school for chemical engineering, but i think he'll say H2O is H2O, he drinks filtered/purified water, not tap or spring.

Anne
04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Mixing dry powder Esbalic with a fork makes for easier mixing and lessens the formation of bubbles.

ozadelic
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
:D Well their mother will lick their genitiles to stimulate the process. We use a cotton pad or tissue.

Well that was easy! He finally went to the bathroom, yay!

ozadelic
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM

My baby was found with his eyes open, just barely. Should I just go get him a rodent block?

littlesquirt
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
What type of rodent blocks? hamster, rat, rabbit? What brand is most recommended?

Also, if when they are older and don't take to rodent blocks could you still feed them esbilac once a day as a supplement?

Pointy Tale
08-26-2009, 01:42 PM
What type of rodent blocks? hamster, rat, rabbit? What brand is most recommended?

Also, if when they are older and don't take to rodent blocks could you still feed them esbilac once a day as a supplement?

littlesquirt—Henry's Healthy Blocks (http://healthyblocks.com/index.html): The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Squirrel Nutrition > Henry's Healthy Blocks (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510)

I am the worst linker, so Henry's Healthy Blocks can be found here: http://healthyblocks.com/index.html

GuardianEarth
08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Using the liquid form of Esblilac beyond it's use by date.

Actually this is just 72 hour after you open the can. And you may not think it is spoiling but trust me it is.

Easy fix - liquid Esblilac can be frozen. Use an Ice cube tray and then thaw out only what you will use each day at a time. Agian do not use the mirco wave to thaw with.
Powder doesn'tvdo that does it???
Cause we bought a rather large can and it says it keeps for 3 months in the fridge

Mars
08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Powder doesn'tvdo that does it???
Cause we bought a rather large can and it says it keeps for 3 months in the fridge

The Powder keeps very nicely in the refrig. It can also be frozen to extend the use by date for up to 6 months. It is also easy to mix up only the amount you need for each feeding so it is always fresh.

GuardianEarth
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM
awesome thanks

Stefalicious
09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
When I get the Fox Vally formula will I still need to mux it with yogurt or is that everything that mine needs for the time being?? I have 3 males and they are about 3-4 weeks old, they are grays. And if I do need to get yogurt do I mix it with the formula or do I feed it to them by its self, and also is it just plain yogurt or some kind of flavor?? Also I am bringing them to the vet tomorrow to be weighed, how much are they suppost to weigh at about 4 weeks old?? Thanks.

spykitten01
09-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Im not positive about the weight - but I continued to mix yogurt and a little heavy whipping cream into my formula once I got the FV. Probiotics from the yogurt are ALWAYS a good thing. Plain is best, as it has no artificial sweeteners or too much sugar, but you can use vanilla or banana if you cant find any plain. You also want it to be full fat yogurt. A lot of people here use the yobaby yogurt, Ive used the Dannon or Old Home plain yogurt and mine like that just fine.

spykitten01
09-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Another add-on for the thread:

NEVER USE TOWELS AS BEDDING FOR YOUR SQUIRREL!

They can catch their little toes and claws in the weave and have been known to break toes, feet, and even legs when they struggle to free themselves. By far the best and most widely used material is fleece. If you dont have any fleece, you can use a few t-shirts until you can get some.

Stefalicious
09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Im not positive about the weight - but I continued to mix yogurt and a little heavy whipping cream into my formula once I got the FV. Probiotics from the yogurt are ALWAYS a good thing. Plain is best, as it has no artificial sweeteners or too much sugar, but you can use vanilla or banana if you cant find any plain. You also want it to be full fat yogurt. A lot of people here use the yobaby yogurt, Ive used the Dannon or Old Home plain yogurt and mine like that just fine.
And by whipping cream you mean the kind in the cans that you put on icecream???? May be a stupid question but Im just making sure. lol

Mars
09-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Heavy whipping cream is in a carton ready to be whipped or cooked with. Check the carton to make sure it doesn't have any added sugars you want real cream.

:)

spykitten01
09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Yup - the heavy whipping cream in the little cartons - Thanks for clarifying Mars :)

Stefalicious
09-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Heavy whipping cream is in a carton ready to be whipped or cooked with. Check the carton to make sure it doesn't have any added sugars you want real cream.

:)
ok, gotcha. Thank you. So would I use something like 1 part FV, 1 part cream, 1 part yogurt and like 2 parts water per feeding??

bellabella05
08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Exactly :thumbsup

Aspiration caused by feeding baby either too fast or in a improper position.

Your baby should be held as a baby squirrel would naturally feed belly down with the syringe held at an angel coming up from below or held slightly upright and again the syringe comes up to the mouth.

AND SLOWLY Remeber baby must be given a chance to swallow. With an eye dropper the method is to place one drop just inside the lips and let the baby swallow then repeat. With a syringe it's tap swallow, tap swallow pointing the syringe at a slight angle into the cheek and never directly down the throat. If the plunger gets stuck DO NOT just push harder. Clear it into a cup and then start over.

I think its important to stress the difference between apspiration and asphixiation. Also, that aspiration doesn't IMMEDIATELY kill, but comes back later as pneumonia, so if anyone has ever seen formula/liquid come out of the baby's nose, they should IMMEDIATELY seek the help of a rehabber or someone who can get the baby medication. I don't think I was aware of these differences until after Munchkin's death. I don't think this is stressed enough. I figured its like with humans, you choke/get some liquid up your nose, you give it a second and life goes on. Its NOT like that with baby squirrels. I was always very careful with feeding him, always in right position and very slowly, but he loved to eat and ate so fast, if I had known how dangerous aspiration can be, I would have taken the syringe out of his mouth and given him little bites and LOTs of time to swallow his food.

pappy1264
08-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Actually, just because it comes out their nose, does not necessarily mean they will get pneumonia. You have to be prepared in case it does (have meds on hand and know babies weight or know where you could get them at a moments notice). You should not just automatically give meds because it came out their noses, but you have to watch closely, listen even more closely, for signs of pneumonia (clicking heard with breathing, loss of appetite, lethargic.) Sometimes for a while afterwards, they will sneeze, this does not mean they need meds, their nasal cavities can/do get irritated from the milk coming out and they can sneeze for a while afterwards. But you listen for breathing, watch for them to be acting 'different', it is subtle at first, but tends to come on pretty quickly (hence having meds ready just in case) but to give meds when not needed can make the meds not work down the line if/when you do need them.

And while on this subject, knowing you have a vet (or vets) you can go to that will help before you are facing an emergency. Call around BEFORE you even have babies, and just ask. Have a list of rehabbers who are near you you can call, night or day, if you have a problem. All this should be in place before you need it, if possible. (A little black book just for squirrel stuff!)

bellabella05
08-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Actually, just because it comes out their nose, does not necessarily mean they will get pneumonia. You have to be prepared in case it does (have meds on hand and know babies weight or know where you could get them at a moments notice). You should not just automatically give meds because it came out their noses, but you have to watch closely, listen even more closely, for signs of pneumonia (clicking heard with breathing, loss of appetite, lethargic.) Sometimes for a while afterwards, they will sneeze, this does not mean they need meds, their nasal cavities can/do get irritated from the milk coming out and they can sneeze for a while afterwards. But you listen for breathing, watch for them to be acting 'different', it is subtle at first, but tends to come on pretty quickly (hence having meds ready just in case) but to give meds when not needed can make the meds not work down the line if/when you do need them.

And while on this subject, knowing you have a vet (or vets) you can go to that will help before you are facing an emergency. Call around BEFORE you even have babies, and just ask. Have a list of rehabbers who are near you you can call, night or day, if you have a problem. All this should be in place before you need it, if possible. (A little black book just for squirrel stuff!)

I completely agree. I never implied that babies should be given meds without illness, but that one should be watchful and expect the baby to get sick if aspiration occurs, so that they are prepared with meds on hand.

vickyjhnsn
09-10-2011, 11:43 PM
This thread has been so helpful. I am learning and getting ready to start some serious rehabbing. Most of you probably know I'm new at this and just lost my first little baby and was devastated. Since I've got some training with a local girl here and she has been wonderful. She has given me one to start with and she is monitoring me to check progress and I'm glad I get to start off slow and have her help. You guys have been wonderful. I just got this little boy. Eyes just opened and I've only had him a couple of hours but he is wonderful. He has diarrhea and its yellow but I think after reading its because she was giving it Esbilac formula mixing it with pedialyte every day. She did not mention to me that he had diarrhea but overall he seems like he is in good health. Very active and strong. He is peeing clear and does not seem dehydrated. If anything I think he may be over hydrated.

I have the FV here and am weening him from puppy formula to FV. My question here for this post is do you have to mix whipping formula? Also, I have not heard about the yogurt. What is the suggested mix for the FV. I thought you could just give that alone. Should I be adding whipping formula with the FV and yogurt? Want to clear this up I'm confused by the suggestions on this thread. Thanks.

astra
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
This thread has been so helpful. I am learning and getting ready to start some serious rehabbing. Most of you probably know I'm new at this and just lost my first little baby and was devastated. Since I've got some training with a local girl here and she has been wonderful. She has given me one to start with and she is monitoring me to check progress and I'm glad I get to start off slow and have her help. You guys have been wonderful. I just got this little boy. Eyes just opened and I've only had him a couple of hours but he is wonderful. He has diarrhea and its yellow but I think after reading its because she was giving it Esbilac formula mixing it with pedialyte every day. She did not mention to me that he had diarrhea but overall he seems like he is in good health. Very active and strong. He is peeing clear and does not seem dehydrated. If anything I think he may be over hydrated.

I have the FV here and am weening him from puppy formula to FV. My question here for this post is do you have to mix whipping formula? Also, I have not heard about the yogurt. What is the suggested mix for the FV. I thought you could just give that alone. Should I be adding whipping formula with the FV and yogurt? Want to clear this up I'm confused by the suggestions on this thread. Thanks.
this thread is not intended as a "live" thread, to which people respond regularly and which they check out regularly.
The reason it might seem so confusing is because it deals with "Common Mistakes and Fixes", it's a "sticky" - means, it contains important information for references. But again, it's not a "live" thread.

It might be better if you post your question either in Nutrition forum, or Non-LIfe Threatening forum, depending on the urgency of your situation.

As far as I know, it's very hard to "overhydrate" a baby, especially, when they have diarrhea.
Mixing formula and pedialyte is a no-no. They can be alternated, but never mixed.
As for specifics of how to mix FV and what to add to it - I will let experts speak. Most likely, you will have to use a diluted FV for the first few feedings and gradually bring it to full strength. So, re-post your question as a separate thread in Nutrition forum, or Non-Life Threatening forum, and experts will advise.:grouphug

island rehabber
09-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Good advice from astra. I will put my two cents in right here: you don't need to add ANYTHING to the FV, especially for an eyes-opened baby. Keep it simple, and he will thrive. :)

Nelly's mama
11-22-2011, 08:05 AM

The micro wave oven messes with the structure of the protein molecules in the formula changing their bioavailabilty. In other words it screws with them to the point the body no longer recognizes them as proteins and does not know what to do with them.

Fix - make your formulas fresh each feeding using warm water or, barring that, use a hot water bath to reheat your formula.

How should the milk be warmed?

CritterMom
11-22-2011, 08:25 AM
If you put the formula in a little plastic cup and float it in a custard cup of hot water, it will warm up quickly and stay warm for quite a while - like a tiny double boiler.

island rehabber
11-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Just for argument's sake here, since we are updating this thread, I posed the question a few months ago to a group of the BF's fellow engineering types: "Can microwaving formula really mess up the molecules?"

They unanimously snickered at me. NO. :rotfl
The amount of time you would have to microwave the formula in order to do that would turn it into cheese. :D Basically, nuking for 10-15 seconds will not change any molecules whatsoever. :peace

mpetys
11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Just for argument's sake here, since we are updating this thread, I posed the question a few months ago to a group of the BF's fellow engineering types: "Can microwaving formula really mess up the molecules?"

The amount of time you would have to microwave the formula in order to do that would turn it into cheese. :D Basically, nuking for 10-15 seconds will not change any molecules whatsoever. :peace

Oh this is music to my ears! I may consider asking Santa for one of those small microwaves to put in baby squirrel room.

Kristal
05-04-2012, 09:53 AM

I remember reading that it is dangerous to microwave formula. But the actual reason why is that the microwave causes uneven heating. If formula is heated in a bottle and then given to a human baby, it can possibly be cool in some parts and then scalding hot in others, so that is the danger with microwaving formula. I give it a thorough stirring first to be sure that the heat is evenly distributed before feeding it to a kit.

Squirlgirl
05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Kristal....This is the perfect thread for my question.

Could you please post a pic of the "plastic container" that was ripped through?

I think prevention is KEY now.

People NEED to know what kind of containers NOT to use or that are not dog safe.

:thankyou

Squirlgirl
05-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh Dear...I don't mean the "crime scene"!

I mean like a link to a new one..sorry.

Sterilite bin...Critter Keeper....just so people will be aware.

Jackie in Tampa
07-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know where there is a pic of a milk line??

Mrs. Lumberjack
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
DO NOT OVERFEED YOUR ADULT SQUIRREL

or any of your pets for that matter. Pet obesity kills. Just as it does in humans, it can cause an array of health problems that could be avoided in the first place. This includes:

-Type 2 diabetes
-Osteoarthritis
-Heart/ kidney/respiratory disease
-Cancer
-Shorter life expectancy

If you don't know how big a normal squirrel is, just look outside (at the wild ones) and compare and think twice before you feed your baby that snack. :shakehead

schrislip00
08-08-2013, 09:33 PM

This may seem picky but remember bubbles formed in the formula end up in your baby's tummy and can cause bloat. And bloat can kill. Always treat your formulas gently and stir to mix.

Wow, I'm glad I found this. On the FV formula package I received it said to shake the formula to mix. They should probably change that since not everyone is a rehabber that buys the formula.

Thanks for the tip!:thankyou

MollyBear361
08-08-2013, 11:43 PM
I think (and correct me if I am wrong) you can shake to mix but then have to let it sit for a VERY VERY long time to get the air bubbles out. That is the problem...and with baby squirrels everyone is usually making formula to use NOW so that is where the problem is...

Anne
08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
If fixing a small amount to feed one or two squirrels, use very hot water and stir your FV with a fork. Dissolves well and no bubbles!:grin3:thumbsup

schrislip00
08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know where there is a pic of a milk line??

http://http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41741-How-are-my-squirrels-developing

Rags97007
02-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Please elaborate on that, what is wrong with distilled water or Pedialyte mixed with formula? Also what about making sure they are hydrated before first feeding?

island rehabber
02-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Drinking distilled water is not good for any living thing; it is "too pure", devoid of all electrolytes, minerals, etc., and will interfere with your body's natural balance of these elements.

We don't use Pedialyte to mix with formula for several reasons:
*it is high in sodium, so you only want to use it for 24 hrs maximum
*mixing formula and Pedialyte changes the nutrient and mineral content of both, and not necessarily for the better. Formula will counteract the hydrating properties of the Pedialyte, defeating the purpose of using Pedialyte in the first place.

Hope this helps!

Akashia
08-13-2015, 07:38 AM

How do you know if they are going on their own consistently?

I think there was a post that answered this question.

I shake mine but slowly pour into a smaller container. This is like the same way you would do any liquid (i.e. resin and silicone) to prevent air bubbles. I also tap the syringe when I fill it to make sure there are not any that got trapped when I filled it

Kolby315
09-03-2015, 02:14 AM

Why not distilled water? I don't but I'm curious as to why not.

Kolby315
09-03-2015, 02:19 AM
Drinking distilled water is not good for any living thing; it is "too pure", devoid of all electrolytes, minerals, etc., and will interfere with your body's natural balance of these elements.

We don't use Pedialyte to mix with formula for several reasons:
*it is high in sodium, so you only want to use it for 24 hrs maximum
*mixing formula and Pedialyte changes the nutrient and mineral content of both, and not necessarily for the better. Formula will counteract the hydrating properties of the Pedialyte, defeating the purpose of using Pedialyte in the first place.

Hope this helps!

I've been told not to use the store bought baby pedialyte because it has a lot of junk in it. Is there a more natural pedialyte recipe that you can make?

Kolby315
09-03-2015, 02:32 AM
this thread is not intended as a "live" thread, to which people respond regularly and which they check out regularly.
The reason it might seem so confusing is because it deals with "Common Mistakes and Fixes", it's a "sticky" - means, it contains important information for references. But again, it's not a "live" thread.

It might be better if you post your question either in Nutrition forum, or Non-LIfe Threatening forum, depending on the urgency of your situation.

As far as I know, it's very hard to "overhydrate" a baby, especially, when they have diarrhea.
Mixing formula and pedialyte is a no-no. They can be alternated, but never mixed.
As for specifics of how to mix FV and what to add to it - I will let experts speak. Most likely, you will have to use a diluted FV for the first few feedings and gradually bring it to full strength. So, re-post your question as a separate thread in Nutrition forum, or Non-Life Threatening forum, and experts will advise.:grouphug

Do you mean pedialyte should never be used to make the formula?

I have my babies on pedialyte and I have been slowly moving them on formula. I've been told and doing this for awhile and I haven't had any trouble but I just want to make sure. I've been doing a 25% formula 75% pedialyte for two feedings, then 50% f 50% p for two feedings, then 25% pedialyte 75%formula for two feedings, then a 100% formula. I do not make my formula with pedialtye or distilled water. Does that sound right? Or is there a better way to transition them from pedialyte to formula?

stepnstone
09-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Do you mean pedialyte should never be used to make the formula?
That is correct!

I have my babies on pedialyte and I have been slowly moving them on formula. I've been told and doing this for awhile and I haven't had any trouble but I just want to make sure. I've been doing a 25% formula 75% pedialyte for two feedings, then 50% f 50% p for two feedings, then 25% pedialyte 75%formula for two feedings, then a 100% formula. I do not make my formula with pedialtye or distilled water. Does that sound right? Or is there a better way to transition them from pedialyte to formula?

You do not have to "transition" from pedialyte / hydration to formula. You hydrate first a couple feedings To hydrate (depending on dehydration, some require longer) and or to flush baby's system. Then you start them on formula mixing 3 parts water 1 part formula for a couple feedings, then you increase to full strength which is mixing 2 parts water to 1 part formula. They need the nutrients in the formula. If baby still requires hydration you hydrate in between formula feedings. Example: If your feeding every 4 hrs. you would feed formula at 6 and hydrate at 8 feed formula at 10 hydrate at 12 and so on.

pappy1264
09-03-2015, 07:11 AM
To add to this, after 24 hours, pedialyte will actually begin to dehydrate due to the sodium, so if extra fluids are needed either sugar water, honey water or even plain water is used between feedings.

Kolby315
09-03-2015, 01:29 PM
That is correct!

You do not have to "transition" from pedialyte / hydration to formula. You hydrate first a couple feedings To hydrate (depending on dehydration, some require longer) and or to flush baby's system. Then you start them on formula mixing 3 parts water 1 part formula for a couple feedings, then you increase to full strength which is mixing 2 parts water to 1 part formula. They need the nutrients in the formula. If baby still requires hydration you hydrate in between formula feedings. Example: If your feeding every 4 hrs. you would feed formula at 6 and hydrate at 8 feed formula at 10 hydrate at 12 and so on.

Finally found your reply, thank you again for your help. That does make a lot of sense.

Roxi's mom
12-21-2016, 04:40 PM

If you did shake it to mix, How long before it is bubble free?

Roxi's mom
12-21-2016, 05:00 PM
On keeping the formula warm during a feed:
I make up half a days formula at a time, I invested in tiny little plastic containers and I divide the formula into these.
I put very hot water into a slightly bigger cup and put one small container into it. It heats it up really quickly and maintains it's temperature for a good 15 minutes. By dividing the formula I don't reheat it again and again.

(sdfghjjjjjjjjjgfdslt6y) Some input from Scrib the Squib and his stick...

Which leads me to another tip: Cover your keyboard in Cling Wrap!!

Amen! I make my living typing from home and lost more than one keyboard from squirrel pee. I think it was because that keyboard kept me from playing with her. I have found keyboard skins on line. Best thing ever made!

Treecat
02-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the helpful thread.

Why not use distilled water?
What do you do for diarrhea?

ScrappyDo
02-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Hello, I'm new here. May I add never use cardboard boxes to keep your babies in as it can pull the moisture out of the air. Learned this the hard way recently and now I am trying to soothe their poor cracked skin (it literally happened in a few short hours after keeping them in the box for a week...the cracking I mean...they were obviously drying out all week!).

island rehabber
02-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Hello, I'm new here. May I add never use cardboard boxes to keep your babies in as it can pull the moisture out of the air. Learned this the hard way recently and now I am trying to soothe their poor cracked skin (it literally happened in a few short hours after keeping them in the box for a week...the cracking I mean...they were obviously drying out all week!).

:thankyou:thankyou ScrappyDo, for bringing up this extremely important point! I know that we have mentioned it many times in the course of many threads, but putting it here is even more effective. Especially with pinkies but with all babies, cardboard is a NONO :nono.
(PS: I have resorted to smoothing a bit of high-quality olive oil on their skin. If my grandma used it on her human babies, it can't be bad for little squees, either. :grin2 It worked.)

Oh, and WELCOME to The Squirrel Board!

ScrappyDo
02-20-2017, 07:13 AM
:thankyou:thankyou ScrappyDo, for bringing up this extremely important point! I know that we have mentioned it many times in the course of many threads, but putting it here is even more effective. Especially with pinkies but with all babies, cardboard is a NONO :nono.
(PS: I have resorted to smoothing a bit of high-quality olive oil on their skin. If my grandma used it on her human babies, it can't be bad for little squees, either. :grin2 It worked.)

Oh, and WELCOME to The Squirrel Board!

Thank you! Sooo happy to have found this site! I used a bit of neosporin right when I realized what was happening (it happened sooo fast!). Olive oil is a great idea! I am out at this time but I do have unrefined organic coconut oil and Emu oil. I was thinking of using Emu oil as I use it myself because it is supposed to resemble our natural oils. What do you think? I will post pics and questions in the help section as soon as I get my sweeties skin rubbed down.

island rehabber
02-20-2017, 07:17 AM
I do have unrefined organic coconut oil and Emu oil. I was thinking of using Emu oil as I use it myself because it is supposed to resemble our natural oils. What do you think? .

I don't have personal experience with the Emu oil, but I believe the coconut oil is mild and effective for little ones. Be VERY cautious regarding tea tree oil, though -- a member here had a scary experience with that stuff as it is far more toxic than its publicity people want you to know and I would never use it on a baby squirrel. :nono

Nancy in New York
02-20-2017, 07:45 AM
I was thinking of using Emu oil as I use it myself because it is supposed to resemble our natural oils. What do you think? I will post pics and questions in the help section as soon as I get my sweeties skin rubbed down.

Emu is perfectly safe.
CritterMom suggests it for pox squirrels.
As you know a little goes a LONG way. :)

ScrappyDo
02-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Emu is perfectly safe.
CritterMom suggests it for pox squirrels.
As you know a little goes a LONG way. :)

That is great news, Nancy, thank you! It is such a healing oil! I just applied a tiny amount on them both!

silversibby
03-01-2017, 08:37 AM
:hurt

Hello....I am searching your forum high and low looking for what Ive done wrong I woke up this AM and one of Two 4 week old gray squirrels had passed away. I last fed it about 11:30 the night before and went to feed them at 5 this morning. It had eaten very well the night before and used the bathroom more than it had in the 5 days I had them. They were finally eagerly searching for the milk, and I thought we were out of the woods. =(
*I have them in a tub with a heating pad but inside a smaller box with towels, sitting on the heating pad
*The deceased baby had crawled to the very bottom, closest to the heat
*It appeared to have thrown up milk and defecated as well
*Its belly was more swollen than normal(what made me think Id given it too much air)
*This particular baby was hardest to fed, it constantly turned its head
*They had a traumatic separation and another litter mate died the day they were found with crushed legs (land being cleared with heavy machinery)
*I am feeding them canned goats milk(though after finding this forum I will do better)

Wmlkll2007
03-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Hello. Where would I get heavy whipping cream?

Nancy in New York
03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Hello. Where would I get heavy whipping cream?
In the grocery store near the milk.
Some say whipping cream, others say heavy cream,
same thing but heavy cream has more milk fat.

There are differences in milk-fat content.
All cream contains at least 18 percent milk fat: "whipping cream" is made up of 30 percent,
while cartons labeled "heavy cream" or "heavy whipping cream" must contain 36 percent or more.

awolf
04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
I am not sure if I am causing this or how to fix the following:

First - this is my first squirrel rescue, my goal is for a successful release, and I have already made a couple mistakes, so hoping for eliminate yet another one at the expense of this cute girl.

I made Girl Squirrels nursery one of those blue low edge clear totes. Well overnight she just grew (now 6 wks old), and so I moved her to a large clear tote with higher edges.

When I went to put her into the new tote, she started spinning, moaning, light squeaking. I put my hand in to comfort her, and she puts a death grip on my hand. So, I nested the two totes together so she could see the blue. Once I finally got her settled I put her in her bed sock and put her back in the new tote. I evaluated her off and on until she needed fed. Pulled her out, played with her and went to put her back in the tote to rest and fall asleep. She repeated the spazzy spinning, moaning and light squeaking. I put my hand down to comfort and sure enough a death grip on my hand.

This repeats throughout the day, but this evening right before I get to the box, she starts getting fidgity, and moaning. Clearly she is not happy about this change, and right now is curdled up next to me sleeping.

What should I do or not do?

HRT4SQRLS
04-10-2017, 09:29 PM
I am not sure if I am causing this or how to fix the following:

First - this is my first squirrel rescue, my goal is for a successful release, and I have already made a couple mistakes, so hoping for eliminate yet another one at the expense of this cute girl.

I made Girl Squirrels nursery one of those blue low edge clear totes. Well overnight she just grew (now 6 wks old), and so I moved her to a large clear tote with higher edges.

When I went to put her into the new tote, she started spinning, moaning, light squeaking. I put my hand in to comfort her, and she puts a death grip on my hand. So, I nested the two totes together so she could see the blue. Once I finally got her settled I put her in her bed sock and put her back in the new tote. I evaluated her off and on until she needed fed. Pulled her out, played with her and went to put her back in the tote to rest and fall asleep. She repeated the spazzy spinning, moaning and light squeaking. I put my hand down to comfort and sure enough a death grip on my hand.

This repeats throughout the day, but this evening right before I get to the box, she starts getting fidgity, and moaning. Clearly she is not happy about this change, and right now is curdled up next to me sleeping.

What should I do or not do?
It sounds like she is a little spoiled. :tilt I doubt it's the new bin. She just wants to be with you. Do you have fleece or a T-shirt in the bin. Is the bin half on a LOW heating pad? Usually after they eat they are ready to sleep. They like to burrow under the fleece. You could also try a rice buddy. Fill a cotton sock with rice. Microwave it for a minute. Massage the rice buddy to mix the rice. This will eliminate 'hot spots'. Wrap it in something. A warm buddy might help Girl Squirrel.

awolf
04-10-2017, 10:07 PM
It sounds like she is a little spoiled. :tilt I doubt it's the new bin. She just wants to be with you. Do you have fleece or a T-shirt in the bin. Is the bin half on a LOW heating pad? Usually after they eat they are ready to sleep. They like to burrow under the fleece. You could also try a rice buddy. Fill a cotton sock with rice. Microwave it for a minute. Massage the rice buddy to mix the rice. This will eliminate 'hot spots'. Wrap it in something. A warm buddy might help Girl Squirrel.

HRT4SQRLS - thank you for the quick reply.

1. have a heating pad set to low, situated on one side.

2. I have a fleece thing she curls into to sleep. I cut the sleeve off one of my kids coats that was super soft.

3. Typically she will go to sleep, no problems. Not today.

Are you recommending a rice buddy in addition? Am I encouraging this behavior and should I just let her flip out to self sooth? Truthfully I probably feel guilty since she is a loner.

Spanky
04-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Just throwing this out there: Is there any sort of a smell / order to the new bin? Maybe try wiping it down with a diluted vinegar solution or something? I have seen similar reactions to ammonia type smells.

island rehabber
04-11-2017, 06:43 AM
I had a single one like her, once, who screamed on top of his little lungs if I tried to leave the room. :grin2
A rice buddy and a few stuffies in the bin with him did help. Darkening the room he was in, or covering the bin 3/4 of the way with a dark cloth also calmed him. Remember that in a natural setting, mamma would have her 6-wk olds shoved waaaaay down to the bottom of the nest, with all kinds of stuff piled on top of them, and it would be pretty dark.

Nancy in New York
04-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Just throwing this out there: Is there any sort of a smell / order to the new bin? Maybe try wiping it down with a diluted vinegar solution or something? I have seen similar reactions to ammonia type smells.

Thinking along these lines, you initially said a blue clear tote.
Now you have her in a clear tote?
Just wondering if she is feeling too exposed when looking out,
and if the blue somehow muted what she was seeing. :dono
Do you have a top on the tote?

Word of caution, don't pile anything too close to the sides,
they can and do pull themselves up and out without a top. :)
(oh, and make sure you have PLENTY of air holes in the tote as well)

Edit: I was babysitting some little ones a few years ago.
I would put them in a bin when I cleaned their cage.
I have NO other animals here, so there was never a need for a top..
unless it was to keep the squirrel inside the bin. :)
Here's a perfect example of what they can do, and they do it so fast too!~ :)

VIDEO Click on picture
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Bronx%20Babies%202012/th_MVI_1925.mp4 (http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Bronx%20Babies%202012/MVI_1925.mp4)

awolf
04-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Thinking along these lines, you initially said a blue clear tote.
Now you have her in a clear tote?
Just wondering if she is feeling too exposed when looking out,
and if the blue somehow muted what she was seeing. :dono
Do you have a top on the tote?

Word of caution, don't pile anything too close to the sides,
they can and do pull themselves up and out without a top. :)
(oh, and make sure you have PLENTY of air holes in the tote as well)

Edit: I was babysitting some little ones a few years ago.
I would put them in a bin when I cleaned their cage.
I have NO other animals here, so there was never a need for a top..
unless it was to keep the squirrel inside the bin. :)
Here's a perfect example of what they can do, and they do it so fast too!~ :)

VIDEO Click on picture
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Bronx%20Babies%202012/th_MVI_1925.mp4 (http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Bronx%20Babies%202012/MVI_1925.mp4)

Nancy I was wonder the same exact thing regarding exposure. I am going to try and post pictures of the totes, but I have to do that from my phone, and then find this message. *Haven't figured out how to follow things.

My cat would be ok so thankful if there was no lid. :)

awolf
04-11-2017, 01:33 PM

Spanky - good thinking. I had clothes in the tote previously, but didnt think to "clean" it.

awolf
04-11-2017, 01:37 PM
I had a single one like her, once, who screamed on top of his little lungs if I tried to leave the room. :grin2
A rice buddy and a few stuffies in the bin with him did help. Darkening the room he was in, or covering the bin 3/4 of the way with a dark cloth also calmed him. Remember that in a natural setting, mamma would have her 6-wk olds shoved waaaaay down to the bottom of the nest, with all kinds of stuff piled on top of them, and it would be pretty dark.

Ok, now I am getting a better picture, because my room is full of light and I moved the new tote to an old Sewing Table Stand. I may have to create a cave like setting.

Thank you

awolf
04-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Nancy I was wonder the same exact thing regarding exposure. I am going to try and post pictures of the totes, but I have to do that from my phone, and then find this message. *Haven't figured out how to follow things.

My cat would be ok so thankful if there was no lid. :)

Sorry just can not get the photos to load from my Google Album, but I can include the link to the folder. The last photo shows the set up the totes.

Thanks for taking a look and giving me feed back.

awolf
04-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Sorry just can not get the photos to load from my Google Album, but I can include the link to the folder. The last photo shows the set up the totes.

Thanks for taking a look and giving me feed back.

Here is the link for the photos https://goo.gl/photos/3EhZpeN4DfkQGyqb6 (https://goo.gl/photos/3EhZpeN4DfkQGyqb6)

HRT4SQRLS
04-11-2017, 06:51 PM
The pics are awesome. :grin2

One thing I wanted to mention is the heating pad. It should be under the bin, not in it. Because they chew everything, an electric cord in the bin is dangerous.

Didn't you say Girl Squirrel was 6 weeks old? She looks older than that to me. I'm not that familiar with fox squirrels though. They are much larger than our tiny FL greys. :tilt I wish we had them here.

awolf
04-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Thank you. The the heat pad will be moved. She is going to be soo angry when I do that, she loves the heat pad. Safety first.

I am absolutely shocked at how big she is getting. Her mom was huge too.

Lucy's Luck
09-01-2017, 02:16 PM

Directions are on the bag. 3 months, once opened. You can also freeze an unopened bag.

Lucy's Luck
09-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Cardboard boxes are also very filthy.

Lucy's Luck
09-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Amen! I make my living typing from home and lost more than one keyboard from squirrel pee. I think it was because that keyboard kept me from playing with her. I have found keyboard skins on line. Best thing ever made!

Small jars are much healthier than plastic.

Lucy's Luck
09-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Hot water from the tap, and Amazon. ;) Read the bag.

Gray Squirrel
09-01-2017, 03:06 PM
A question that you probably should ask is how good is your tap water what is in it? Not all tap water is the same. Probably not a spring water is the same.

Gray Squirrel
09-01-2017, 03:38 PM
It might be a good idea to practice using a syringe (you could use water) to learn how a syringe reacts when you try to go slow before feeding a squirrel with it. I think O-ring syringes are the best because they work smoothly but they are not all the same. Some O-ring syringes move so easily that a squirrel may be able to suck hard enough to get too much formula too fast. I think even pinkies can suck hard enough to do this. The shaft of the plunger can be pinched next to the syringe to slow the plunger and moved by a sort rolling of the fingertips if it needs some help moving. Perhaps others may have a better way to do this or can explain it better.
Although practice before using a syringe may help it I important to realize that it would be hard to simulate a squirrel sucking hard, but I think that practicing with the syringe you are going to use before you use it is still be a good idea.

Gray Squirrel
09-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Thank you. The the heat pad will be moved. She is going to be soo angry when I do that, she loves the heat pad. Safety first.

What is the new tote made of? Plastic containers are recommended and cardboard dehydrates, but I always wonder if plastic can be giving off something bad , especially if it is on a heating pad. I have been wondering if there is not some kind of material that is better than plastic to keep young squirrel in. I do not know what might be better than plastic, may be a wooden box made out of some kind of thin wood. Some plastics and synthetic do give of gases.

Pauladavelle
09-14-2017, 10:20 AM

I read last night to use pedialyte if baby was dehydrated? So now confused, I haven't done this as we just brought him home, or should I say he followed my daughter home from the park, and pretty much claimed her as his. I've never seen anything like it before, I was quite literally shocked.

Nancy in New York
09-14-2017, 10:29 AM
I read last night to use pedialyte if baby was dehydrated? So now confused, I haven't done this as we just brought him home, or should I say he followed my daughter home from the park, and pretty much claimed her as his. I've never seen anything like it before, I was quite literally shocked.

What 4skwerlz wrote was NOT to mix formula with Pedialyte or distilled water.
Mix formula with PLAIN Water or tap water.

You can hydrate with homemade pedialyte, or Pedialyte.:
From 4skwerlz site, the recipe for homemade.

Homemade Rehydration Fluid

1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or apple juice
2 cups warm water
Store in refrigerator. Discard after 24 hours.

Note: If the baby refuses fluids, try leaving out the salt.

It's no unusal for a little squirrel to walk up to anyone looking for herlp.
The will even approach other animals. :(
Can you post a picture, and also let us know what you are feeding etc.

Here is a "crash course" in baby squirrel care.
It's 6 short concise pages long with the next button at the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Pauladavelle
09-14-2017, 10:51 AM
I changed my profile pic with a pic of My daughter holding Sammy, as he has been christened. He's eating solid food, found out by pure accident he LOVES yogurt, little guy tried to eat it right out of my mouth, I just happened to be eating some when I went outside to see my daughter's "new friend". After some debating we decided he was too little to leave outside. We have a lot of hawks in our area. So we made a mad dash to Walmart and petsmart. $150 later we got the biggest ferret cage we could find, and four different kinds of rodent food mix and naturals "salad greens" because we weren't sure what he would like or eat. He spent a lot of time eating. We bought him a water bottle but ended up just using a small ceramic sauce cup for water. I told my daughter to check the bottle this morning and if she didn't see any decrease in the fluid amount to try a bowl so he didn't go to long without water and he sucked it right up out of the bowl. His food and water dish are ceramic because I read not to use plastic because they will chew them up. I sent my husband a msg already to stop on his way home and pick up a rodent block and hard chew toys. In researching today I learned they need about 50% of heir diet to be the rodent block and need to chew a lot because their teeth never stop growing. Found you guys and started avidly readin through posts because I don't want to do something wrong for the little guy. And this book pretty much brings y'all up to speed on the last 18 hours of my life lol.

stepnstone
09-14-2017, 12:15 PM

If she still needs it you do not have to remove the heating pad altogether,
just remove from inside the bin and place (half) under the bin.

JLynne
09-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Really? I’ve read on so many different sites to mix with distilled water

JLynne
09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Oh wait I think I meant purified.

Spanky
09-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Really? I’ve read on so many different sites to mix with distilled water

Oh wait I think I meant purified.

No to distilled water. Tap is okay (if you drink your tap water) otherwise use bottled water.

Somya
03-15-2023, 11:10 PM
One more tonight and then I'm off to bed.:)

Mixing formulas using Pedialyte or other hydration fluids

Can actually cause dehydration - just the opposite of what we want. This happens because the proper balance of salts is thrown off and the formula draws fluids from the body as it passes through the digestive tract. It is much safer to either add a mini feeding of plain fluids between normal feedings or to alternate feedings of formula with ones of just fluids.

I was actually searching for this i don't mix hydration formula with milk formula so i satrted giving them in betweens but wanted to understand how much should I be giving cuz over feeding is fatal after all and they need hydration too

Also instead of adding salt or making hydration formula i use sweetened water so that it can energize the babies so please guide me how do I give my babies in betweens and how much quantity is good for them

Mel1959
03-16-2023, 05:51 AM
Give them no more hydration fluid then the 5-7% of their body weight (which is the amount of formula you’re giving per feeding) in between normal feeding times. The 5-7% amount is the approximate capacity of their stomach which is based on their weight. They probably will not need hydration fluids between every feeding, just occasionally.

Lake Gypsy
12-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Sorry for the necro! But I have a couple tricks I've learned along the way.

The easiest way i have found to put holes in plastic totes is using a soldering iron. It is the perfect width to make holes or lines that squirrels can't fit their teeth into and chew. Use in a well ventilated area and be careful not to drip melted plastic onto yourself. You can usually find varying size totes for cheap after holidays and back to school time.

To make an oxygen cage use an O2 concentrator and stick the nasal cannula through a couple holes on your tote.

Make your own oral rehydration solution, it is sooo much cheaper!

I make and shake my formula the night before so it has plenty of time to get rid of the dreaded air bubbles

If a baby aspirates quickly flip it so it is nose down and gently pat on its back until there is no more formula coming out and the baby is sneezing and clearing the nostrils.

*this is only for very experienced animal handlers. I do not recommend the majority of people do this.* I also will do a *very gentle* suction a few times by closing my mouth over the entire muzzle and barely breathing in. (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. YOU CAN COLLAPSE THE LUNGS)

If I think of more I'll add on. Happy squirrelling!