PDA

View Full Version : HEEEELPP!!!

kimbia
01-25-2008, 04:47 AM
GUYS need urgent help!!!!!!!!!!1
striep is shaking madly cant walk normaly and shes cold¨!!!!!!
help!!!!!!!!!!!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-25-2008, 05:24 AM
I am sorry, I haven't been following any of Stripe's threads. Has she been fighting MBD? It sounds like she is having a seizure. Has she calmed down yet? I would put her on a heating pad and try to get her calmed down, if she isn't already.

kimbia
01-25-2008, 05:32 AM
no, shes hasnt got MBD but, she got today out of house and she was shaking and the food that shes triing to eat was faling of he mouth..
I put her in my t-shirt to keep her warm, and I saw that her (um donno realy how to say:thinking ) where her poop comes out , is a bit red , ( think the chippie is pregnant), and like.. more open( cant find another word:shakehead )
I gave her to sip water from her water bottle where I put a bit of opti-vit rodent vitamins,
shes calmed down a bit now:)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Glad to hear she calmed down a little. If she is still cold, I would put her on a heating pad or give her a rice buddy (put rice in a sock and heat it up in the microwave). She was probably just scared outside.

squirrelfriend
01-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Like squirrelsrule&bunniestoo said. I would also give her a full spectrum lamp as well. Perhaps a calcium suplement.

If she is pregnant it can take a lot out of her. SHe may need extra nutrients. How about something sweet to bring her sugar levels up.

It does sound like a seizure. Keep her calm and warm.

Keep us updated. I hope she ends up ok.

kimbia
01-25-2008, 06:00 AM
I gave her a bit of lettuce and shes still a bit shaking,dunno how did it come to this:dono
she just got out of house,alll shaking and barelly could jump, I keepin her warm now.
Ill check the nestbox onemore time to see if there are some babys =o
I gave her the rodent vitamins with calcium and vitamin D..

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Just be careful giving her Vitamin D. You can overdose them on that because it builds up in their fatty tissue. That is why most pet squirrel owners use a full spectrum light instead.

Also, I am not sure if this is just me, but I NEVER give my creatures lettuce. I have heard it can kill a bunny because their digestion is slow and it actually goes bad in their stomach. I don't think it is good for squirrels either. I would go with something like kale, bok choy, turnip greens, or some other leafy green. That might just be me though.

kimbia
01-25-2008, 06:21 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: didnt know the lettuce thing, thanks for reminding me
the vitamin D is in the same vitamine bottle opti-vit for rodents
so I gave her just a sip.:thumbsup

Gabe
01-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Poor Kimbia. How is she doing now?
How old is she?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Ive been told..the spring mix..salad..blend is good..
It doesnt seem to have bothered ( Bean).. ...yet..?
I have an almost 8 month old Gray Squirrel.

It doesn't have any iceburg lettuce in it..MAYBE..it's the iceburg..thats not good?:thinking
I am..so, sorry..for the problems..your having with your little lady!

Walmart also has..this excellent..suppliment that has all of the goodies a pregnant..mama..would need.
I also give it to Bean..ITS really good for them.

kimbia
01-25-2008, 08:00 AM
shes feling beter now:)
Im stil keepin an eye on her, if she starts to shake again,
I l try to find that mineral treat in the pet shop:flash3 even though they got a mineral block near the water source.I gave her a bit of cuttlefish bone:)
and she managed to eat it.

Pam
01-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Healthiest Foods (high-calcium/low-phosphorus)—Your squirrel must eat at least one of these foods every day.
Collard greens, mustard spinach, papaya, turnip greens, tofu (w/calcium sulfate or Nigiri), fresh parsley, beet greens, dandelion greens, Chinese cabbage (bok choy), looseleaf lettuce, figs, kale, chicory

Lettuce is listed as a healthy food for squirrels. The greener lettuce is healthier. I don't think iceberg lettuce has much, if any, nutritional value. I buy the prepackaged washed lettuce mixes for my squirrels. Their favorite is romaine.

TexanSquirrel
01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Okay, stay calm. You're getting good advice here, just stay calm so you can think clearly and take care of your little baby.

Buddy'sMom
01-25-2008, 08:59 AM
...Ill check the nestbox onemore time to see if there are some babys =o ....
Yes .. check all her nest areas very carefully (they will be TINY!) -- From what I have read here, chippies are not always good first-time mommies. If you find any -- get them in a box on a heating pad right away as they will need to be kept warm. Then come back here and someone will tell you what to do for them. :)

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

[I sent PMs to some of the "chippie folks" who might have had similar experiences, and hopefully one of them will come online soon.]

Apple Corps
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
kimbia - I agree with the other posts about a varied / normal diet - low blood sugar will cause seizures - treated with a lil sugar and normal diet.

Chippy Tails
01-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I think you're getting some really good advice here. I deal with chippys in the wild and that's a whole lot different from keeping them as pets in a house. I can tell you that chipmunks get spooked easily and tend to shake all over. Your little friend may have gotten spooked just by being outside in a strange environment.

I can also tell you that I have had several pregnant chippys in the yard and they have made wonderful moms. They hide they're young in their dens and stay inside with them for the first four weeks. It would be different for a pet chippy because they would not have the same amount of food stored up and would have to leave their babies to get food.

Please keep us updated. We are all concerned for your little one, and try to stay calm.

kimbia
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
thanks you all for help and support:D :thumbsup
here I made a list of what they eat:
morning:
apple
a bit of carot,
sometimes I give em broccoli,kale ...
lettuce(the green one)
and I put some food from chippie mix(I changed their chippie mix, cos the previous one had sunflower seeds the most:shakehead )
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7957/prestigenaturee1xh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
then in evening:
bit of cuttlefish bone
yoghurt(3 times a week)
bit chippie mix
apple

it looks more and more like shes a preggy chippie:wott
like...:
she rarely comes out of house(only for food and drink)
then her belly, wow its biggie!
she looks for all kind of thing from woodchips to cotton to put in nest
as I said I saw her place where the poop gets out(sry cant think of a real word :shakehead )
is bit red, and bit bigger
Ill keep updating:thumbsup :grouphug

Buddy'sMom
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
:grouphug :grouphug

:) It sounds like you are calmer now, so Stripe must also be calmer :)

thundersquirrel
01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
just a thought;

heat would be a wonderful thing to offer her right now. heat is great for increasing circulation and calming shock. it will give her a sense of well-being. if i were you, i would make up a rice buddy (fill a sock with dry rice, tie it off, microwave it for about thirty seconds) and offer it to her.

please keep us updated on her condition. :Love_Icon

Crazymunk
01-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Check EVERYWHERE for babies......she may have had them when she was out of the cage!!!!!!! Once they start they are pretty quick. Fidget had ten in no time at all.....I'm out tonight but will check back as soon as I'm home. Prayers are with you :grouphug ..The main thing is to remain as calm as possible it will help her.

Got_Chippies
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Also keep in mind that too much fruit and veggies will give them diarrhea. We try to give them fruit and or veggies every other day to every third day, and a good nut and seed mix the rest if the time. Too much of a good thing can be bad :(

As far as being pregnant, you will notice the nipples getting larger and more obvious even before the babies are born.

Best of luck.

Crazymunk
01-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Also keep in mind that too much fruit and veggies will give them diarrhea. We try to give them fruit and or veggies every other day to every third day, and a good nut and seed mix the rest if the time. Too much of a good thing can be bad :(

As far as being pregnant, you will notice the nipples getting larger and more obvious even before the babies are born.

Best of luck.

Unless of course they are Fidget...then the only thing to get bigger before the birth was.....FIDGET...she was HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.......:D :sanp3

She had TEN...
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/Crazymunk/th_Evenfatter.jpg (http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/Crazymunk/Evenfatter.jpg)

Crazymunk
01-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Any news on Stripe this morning? :dono :Love_Icon

kimbia
01-26-2008, 04:02 AM
shes still in the house sleeping,didnt check the nestbox jet, cos Chewy looks pritty protective about it,and has a nasty bite:crazy

Abacat
01-26-2008, 04:09 AM
:morning kimbia,
Hope your Stripe is ok, any news yet? Sending good vibes for her...:D :Love_Icon
:grouphug

Crazymunk
01-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Did you check around the room she was running loose in? If there are babies in the nest box you might be able to hear them squeaking if you listen very carefully.....they are very tiny so if you do look around the room look well at every little pink bit of "fluff" etc

kimbia
01-26-2008, 07:46 AM
does this pic looks like shes pregnant?
crazymunk,does this looks anythin similar when ur chippies were havin babys?

Crazymunk
01-26-2008, 08:02 AM
To high in the chest to be babies...Do they have a lot of nuts to eat? :dono ..Fidget was like that but it was because she was fat from picking out all the nuts and leaving the rest so I cut out nuts for a couple of weeks...:nono

How is Stripe today?

kimbia
01-26-2008, 08:14 AM
she looks better today,just came out for some chow...
and no, they dont eat lot of nuts ,I give em some nuts like 2-3 times a week,
so I dont really know why does stripes chest part look a bit swollen:thinking ...

Crazymunk
01-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Is it both sides? If only one side could it be from an injury? :dono

kimbia
01-26-2008, 09:45 AM
no, its from the both side..

Buddy'sMom
01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
:grouphug :grouphug (she's beautiful! :Love_Icon )

kimbia
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
so is it normal in chippies ?:dono

Crazymunk
01-27-2008, 01:10 PM
How is Stripe today? It could be she has stored fat there..Same as Fidget did..

kimbia
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
she has been sleeping all day, she just came out in the morning for some chow ,and went back to bed..

kimbia
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I gave em food now, and stripe is looking more better:)
but...
more problems come...
they had a big fight and chewy bited her on her cheek and its bleeding!!!:shakehead
my parents told not to do anything and that, that will grow back...
but Im still a bit worried, what if she losts a lot of blood during the night!
need advice!

kimbia
02-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I would take a pic , but she has squiked a bit then dashed back into her nesting house:shakehead