PDA

View Full Version : Black and white squirrel

Janet
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about why we have some black squirrels that have had some of their fur change to white? I noticed one early in the fall and he looked like he had some sores on his back..as the fur grew back it came in white. I will try to get a picture on here if I can figure out how!
Thanks,
Janet

Sissy
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
That is interesting. I haven't ever heard of that happening before. I have seen Black and White squirrels in South Carolina but they were marked like a raccoon. With a black mask and all. I can't wait to see pictures of them.

Mars
01-09-2008, 10:06 PM
:wave123 :Welcome :wave123

I would love to see the pictures. I'm not sure why it happens. But it is not unusual for squirrel to grow in new hair in a new color. Perhaps someone else has learned why it happens. :thinking

:)

TexanSquirrel
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
:Welcome

squirrelfriend
01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
My squirrel Squeetie had an abcess on a broken tail and the hair grew back white in that spot. I have noticed that some of my others have white spots over areas that have been injured. Do note that many of the black squirrels are born with white spots on them. They don't grow white spots in after an injury and then have it go back to black. once the white is there it stays. Your guy probably got a cut in that area then it grew back in white. are you sure it is the same squirrel though?

island rehabber
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Squirrelfriend, doesn't our beloved Mr Tilty have a white 'blaze' on his nose, after that bout of mange he came in with? Guess it's the same type of thing.

Janet
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank you everyone..now lets see if I can get a picture on here!!!

Janet
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Not sure if I did that right and the pic doesn't look as good as it does in my files...Should I have made it smaller?

Rhapsody
01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
No it looked fine...... some files just do that when they are transferred.

.... that poor little fellow looks like he is getting old and turning gray as I am.

TexanSquirrel
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
awww:Love_Icon

muffinsquirrel
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Here's an interesting thread on NFSA about Powder, a flyer that had large areas of white as a result of injury. She is now a normal colored flyer.

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5008&highlight=powder

Tom is a fantastic rehabber with flyers. He has pulled some through that anyone else would have given up on. I admire and respect his talent greatly.

muffinsquirrel

Rhapsody
01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Here are some interesting INFO & PICS about Black & White Color Squirrels.

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/longleafalliance/teachers/teacherkit/squirrel.htm

Black & White Squirrel - PICS

http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2006/12/canadian-black-squirrels-take-over.html (colour morph)

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/mammal-forums/2851-black-squirrels-2.html

http://www.fotosearch.com/UNZ610/u19444003/

http://www.fotosearch.com/SBY853/200351337-001/

Janet
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow..thank you again everyone for the info..I have discovered today that the one squirrel that I thought we had was actually 2 coming to the feeder at different times, they were both there today and are almost identical!
There was also another with tiny white spots on his tail and side. So, not sure what that means. Anyway, going to look at all the links you sent me and thank you again!!

4skwerlz
01-11-2008, 12:48 PM
If the white is in random spots then I believe it is new fur growing over a wound or bald spot.

I had an unusual case of late fall mange this year. She had a large, well-defined bald place on her right shoulder/neck. After two Ivermectin treatments, that fur grew back in WHITE. It looks really odd. Usually it grows in to "match" the rest of the squirrel, but then mange is usually a summer thing around here.

Here's a theory:
In the fall/winter, squirrels normally moult into a coat with more white/grey in it, right? So their hair growing mechanisms must be set to grow white fur at this time. Thus, if a squirrel gets a wound or bald spot in the late fall or winter, the new fur grows in WHITE. During the spring/summer, the new fur would grow in the normal darker color. :dono

Sciurus1
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont' know much about flyers, but I was wondering in the flyer shown on their website, if the white coat was an undercoat, that is the softer coat all squirrels have, and then the top stiffer colored coat grew in afterwards?

I have another question on flyers that my friend in Northern Minnesota, who has them in her yard would like an answer to. She and I would like to know if it is the Northern, or Southern flyer that has the white tummy hair tip to root. I read it was an identifying characteristic of one or the other.

muffinsquirrel
01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I dont' know much about flyers, but I was wondering in the flyer shown on their website, if the white coat was an undercoat, that is the softer coat all squirrels have, and then the top stiffer colored coat grew in afterwards?

I have another question on flyers that my friend in Northern Minnesota, who has them in her yard would like an answer to. She and I would like to know if it is the Northern, or Southern flyer that has the white tummy hair tip to root. I read it was an identifying characteristic of one or the other.

The SFS has white belly hair all the way to the roots. The NFS has white belly fur turning to grey at the roots.

Although the SFS does have a soft dense coat, it is dark all the way down. Flyers do not seem to have the longer stiff 'guard hairs' that some animals do - their entire coat is as soft as a cloud. When you stroke one, it is almost like petting a dream - it never ceases to amaze me. Can you tell that I am smitten?

muffinsquirrel

Novelle
03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I have read that when scientists do studies on wild squirrels, sometimes they freeze-brand them which causes some hair to grow in white so they can be more easily recognized from far away.

BuckeyeSqrl
03-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I had a black that I released get about half of her tail degloved. When the fur grew back on the end, it was white.

I think the white is in response to the injury.