PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans!!!

sarahraney
01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Okay,So last time i said i was getting my baby (flying squirrel) in 3-4 weeks. But, i called helen's little critters and i am getting one in 2 DAYS! I seriosly need any advice and info any one can give me. I have researched alot but im quite nervous. What will happen if i go to a sleep over and leave it alon for one day? Can they travel or is it too stressful? Do their claws hurt? How old are they when they start to glide? Any other advice? Will it kill my pet mice if they meet? Thank you soo much! i cant wait! i promis to ppost pics for you guys! :peace :) :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace

kimbia
01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
thats great news:thumbsup
but I dont know much about flyers, so beter leave it to those who have expiriance:)
post some pics:D
:grouphug

TexanSquirrel
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I know some people feed their sugar gliders baby mousies...dunno about flyers...

She'll start to glide when she's ready. :thumbsup I think she'd be fine with you gone one night, as long as you feed her before you go...Traveling would be pretty stressful so I'd try to keep that to a minimum. And I'm pretty sure those little needle claws might hurt, but they'll be worth it!

cr8zyanimalgirl
01-05-2008, 08:15 PM
First thing is calm down!!!! It will be fine if you sleep over a night just make sure thay have plenty of fresh veges and fruit before you leave. If it is the only one try to not make it habit to stay away too much they will get lonely. As to traveling if you have it shirt trained which will take a few days and then it can go anywhere with you in your shirt. I take mine to the grocery stores and to lunch all you have to do is get them used to you!!!!!! It will bond to you very quickly and easily. Their nails will no cut you. You will feel them in the shower they will sting but only for a second and they heal very quick. As for any other advise just be calm spoil them rotten and they will love you forever. There are other people on here that can give you advise too.

Sissy
01-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Pork & Bean is right. First thing is to calm down. I know it's not easy when something unexpected comes up, but you will be fine. I'm so happy you are getting your baby early. You will fall in love quickly, trust me. There is a lot of great info on the NSFA board. It's a board especially for flying squirrels. You will be a great mom for the baby and don't let your fears override your common sense. If the flyer is still on milk it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave it alone for a day. Once your baby bonds with you, you probably won't want to leave it alone, not even for a day. They are very sociable and love the company. If you don't have a bonding pouch you can bond with it in your shirt pocket or just your shirt. Mine love to climb in my shirt and go everywhere with me. I wouldn't recommend this until your flyer is bonded with you, or it may jump out and get lost. Just remember to breath and relax and everything will be fine. And always, always keep the toilet lid closed or it can drown! Post some pics of your new baby soon I can't wait to see them!
Good luck your at the right place for help.

muffinsquirrel
01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
It's GREAT that you will be a full fledged Squammy tomorrow! I can still remember the panic I felt when I got my first one. :D The panic quickly goes away, but the love and fascination never does!

Mine never liked a bonding pouch - I just stick them in my shirt and they are fine. Your baby will probably sleep most of the time at first - enjoy the peacefulness while you can - she'll soon be into everything. Their nails can prickle you a bit, but if it bothers you, try wearing two shirts - a tee shirt and a regular button up shirt over it. (Shirtails tucked in at all times, of course.) Then you can put her between the two shirts and she'll snuggle right down. They usually quickly learn to climb on your shirt instead of your skin anyhow, so all you feel is soft soft fur.

Eventually you WILL get scratched, as well as bitten. Neither of them feels good, but neither are life threatening! Their bite is just a very quick 'in/out' type thing - they don't hold on and chew or anything. (Well, maybe if they have new pups and you won't leave them alone! They are VERY PROTECTIVE mommas. :nono )

Just remember to feed their formula slowly, and you'll be fine. It will take approximately 15 seconds for you to fall completely in love, and maybe another two before she has you totally trained to do anything she wants! This is going to be a wonderful experience that you will never forget, and you will never be the same afterwards.

muffinsquirrel

PS - All of the above feelings apply to every flyer pup you ever get, not just the first! After all of them I've raised, I still feel the same way.