PDA

View Full Version : Redness on cheeks

Chatterluv
12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
My little girl has been doing great she is eating pecans, some pecans from outside that I have cracked some too. She eats carrots, celery, and other nuts too. She is getting very active in her cage and growing, she is starting to look like an adult squirrel. I do have one concern her tail is getting furry but I noticed that it is either losing hair on the actual tail part or all of the tail hair has not grown there yet???? I also noticed she has some red not looking like blood but maybe a little rash on her cheeks??? It also looked like it could be just her red hair growing in, she is a fox squirrel I believe. I would love to release her where I am, there are plenty of trees and other squirrels but I worry that since she is by herself that would not be a good idea. I spoke with a rehabber for the Wildlife Dept. and they said since winter is here maybe it would be best if they took her and put her with other squirrels her size and released her in the summer. I am not sure what is best to do? I think they will most likely look her over and if there is any problems they would treat her wouldn't they? I want what is best for her. I had never taken on the task of raising a baby squirrel and she was very little when I got her, I hand fed her the esbilac after doing much research but even then she would try to eat the pecans I brought in from outside but she couldn't crack them open yet. I have had her for two months. I think she may have been 6 or 8 weeks when I got her judging by the website photos I visited for help with her. She is so sweet and smart. The only reason I took her was someone called and said they found her and didn't know what to do. She seems to be healthy and happy with a very good appetite and she is energetic other than the above concerns I have already mentioned. If you can give me any advise we would both appreciate it. Thanks from Chatter and me.:)

island rehabber
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Chatterluv, if you could get us a picture of her red areas that would help a lot. It could be the beginnings of mange, and she'll need to be treated for that ASAP. It starts with bare, red spots especially around their eyes and ears.

TexanSquirrel
12-20-2007, 08:53 PM
:Welcome
Please get those pics up soon!

Chatterluv
12-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your replies. She is going to a professional licensed rehabber tomorrow. I am happy after speaking to her about Chatter and she is affiliated with a Vet and they can check her out and make sure she is healthy and more important treat her if she is not. They said they have two other ones right now who sound like her age and she will be put her with them in an outdoor cage with plenty of room, food and nests with blankets. This lady has been rehabbing for 3 years and sounds like she knows what she is doing. They will wait till after winter to do what she calls a "soft release" where Chatter will be able to come back into the outdoor cage when she wants and they will maintain food for all of her releases so that if they wish to come back now and then they can have that option. I am happy for her but I am really gonna miss her. I want her to be with her own kind and to live happy, healthy and free, God willing.:grouphug

Chatterluv
12-21-2007, 03:17 PM
This is me again. My heart is breaking right now thinking of taking her tomorrow. I know it is for the best but I am still emotional because I think she is so special and I am gonna miss her. I want what is best for her. I want to keep a positive attitude, and It helps knowing that I can contact her
new rehabber friend and she will let me know how she is doing. I think I am being a big baby about all this. (crying) It is hard letting go, that's why I need to take her to someone else who can successfully do it. I miss her already. (crying):Love_Icon

island rehabber
12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Chatterluv you are absolutely doing the right thing for your little wild girl -- giving her the chance to be free in the healthiest, safest way possible. :bowdown It takes real strength of character to put your emotions aside and do what you know is right for this squirrel -- good for you! Hopefully the rehabber won't mind if you keep in touch with her and get updates about Chatter, too. :thumbsup