PDA

View Full Version : GRACEY NEEDS HELP!

TERRI
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I can't believe 2 days ago I was introducing Gracey, and today I need help. I got a call this morning from Rich that he heard a thump, looked down in the cage, and Gracey was lying on the bottom panting. When I got home at noon, I had to coax her out of her sleeping bag, but she did come out. She sat on the arm of the couch all day or let us just cuddle her. It' 7pm, and she's moving very little, still panting. Shes taken a few bites of collard greens. I did get her the full spectrum light today. Background- We've had Gracey since she was 1 1/2- 2 wks old. She is now about 4 1/2 mo. Raised on esbilac, she now eats broccoli, collard greens, carrots, grapes, cucmbers, oncooked oatmeal,some walnuts,dried bananas and an occasional cracker. We let her run freely when we're here to watch her, otherwise she is in a med. to large ferret cage with shredded paper in the bottom. Please help me, she really looks bad. Last night she was fine, very playful.

LynninIN
12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Is Gracey having any problems breathing?

squiggs
12-05-2007, 06:44 PM
is there any chance she has eaten something around the house? plants or something like that?

TERRI
12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't think so. She does like to try and bury acorns in one of my potted plants, but I shoo her out when I see herbecause she makes such a mess with the dirt.

TERRI
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
It looks like she's panting

TERRI
12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
No her gums don't look pink, but they're difficult to see. I haven't seen her drink anything, but I've seen her take a couple nibbles of collard greens.

TERRI
12-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Rich said he didn't know if it was a seizure, but her back legs were streched out and she shook for a few seconds.

LynninIN
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
GB was asking about the gums because they will look pale if she is not getting enough oxygen. Do you hear any wheezing? Try the molasses or Kayo syrup if you have any in case it's low blood sugar.

Just saw your last post, it does sound like a seizure. Try the above and let us know if it helps at all then we can meet in the chat room. I'll be back in 15 minutes. Do you have any Tums around the house? For emergency calcium.

TERRI
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
This evening we did see a small bit of a creamy yellow, something on the side of her mouth , just a small bit, and wondered if she had vomited.

TERRI
12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I have molasses, I can get pedialyte, and she's not wheezing. How would I mix mmolasses?

Ryleigh's new mom
12-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I just got on to give an update on Ryleigh, and when I read this it reminds me so much of what I've been going through with mine. She was totally fine last night, then all of a sudden got really lethargic, vomited (was bright watery yellow also), then ate a little yogurt, seemed a little better, had one bout of really nasty diarrhea, drank a ton of water, then totally listless for the rest of the night (she slept on me) and most of the morning. I really thought I was going to lose her. Now, suddenly, she seems to be back at 100%, ravenous, and more playful than ever. The night before she got sick, she seemed to be lethargic, grinding her teeth from side to side, and hiccuping. I'm wondering now if that could have been a seizure. Also, because the symptoms came on suddenly and seem to be mimicking Ryleigh's, could there be some squirrel bug going around? If you don't mind me asking, do you live in the Northeast? :thinking

TERRI
12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
She DID NOT like the molasses. I wiped it on her mouth hoping she'd have to lick it off. The good news is, I made her so mad, she had to get up and wipe her face. She's now moving around the cage, pooping and peeing. Still seems to be panting slightly, but her curiosity is back, and activity is dramatically increasing. I'm amazed!!! You guys are miracle workers. Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou.How did she bounce back so quickly? I really thought we were going to lose her. Will low blood sugar cause a seizure?

Apple Corps
12-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Terri - yes, low blood sugar is fatal if not corrected. The brain operates on blood sugar and stops functioning without the "fuel" - seizures are normal - followed by death. Placing some type of sugar in the mouth will treat low blood sugar - it is absorbed by the lining in the mouth - no harm done if it was not low blood sugar. Not much is needed.

4skwerlz
12-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I think we need to figure out what was wrong with Gracie. If it is MBD, she will need long-term treatment. If not, then it could be serious. Can you go to Chat (main lobby)? It is easier to talk there. Or is someone helping you via PM?

pelohojo
12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Terri, so sorry your little Gracey hasn't been feeling well! I can certainly say with confidence you are in wonderful hands with all the fantastic and knowledgeable squirrel lovers in here.

In addition to the potential MBD, I wonder if the potted plant dirt or plant itself might be the culprit? Gracey might have eaten something bad for her, had a reaction, and then it worked its way thru her system?

You did great keeping a close eye on her for all the signs she was giving you, and then taking care of her as best you could & coming here for help. If it makes you feel any better, my little squirrel Leeloo even hated the smell of the molasses, much less the taste! :P

Hang in there, the squirrel cavalry here is awesome...

TERRI
12-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, I'm from Pa. Gracey played for 5-10 min. ate a grape and seems to be resting now in her sleeping bag. Hopefully she not still having symptoms. Although she's more alert when i peek in at her. She's picking her head up to watch me.

4skwerlz
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes, I'm from Pa. Gracey played for 5-10 min. ate a grape and seems to be resting now in her sleeping bag. Hopefully she not still having symptoms. Although she's more alert when i peek in at her. She's picking her head up to watch me.

Terri, We really need to get to the bottom of this. If it's MBD, the treatment will be long-term. She could also have some other serious health issue.

Is someone already helping you one-on-one via PM?

TERRI
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm in the main chat room now

jules
12-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Just catching up with reading new threads!
How is Gracey now? Hope you can get it all sorted and get her back to 100%!

Best wishes!

Jules. :Love_Icon

4skwerlz
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
UPDATE:

For anyone following this thread, last night several folks joined Terri in Chat to try to figure out what was wrong with Gracey.

History: Gracey had collapsed suddenly, had a seizure, vomited, and was lethargic and breathing rapidly. By the time we met in Chat, her gums were pale and she was very dehydrated. Diagnosis: A reaction to something toxic on some grapes purchased from a Northern Virginia area Giant Food. Treatment: As Gracey was no longer in acute distress, the main goal was to treat her dehydration, which is a serious problem all by itself. Also plenty of fluids will help dilute and clear out the toxin. Terri gave her some water, also purchased some Apple Pedialyte. Prognosis is excellent for a full recovery.

TSB members really pulled together on this one: LynninIN, Island Rehabber, new members Pelohojo and Ryleigh's New Mom, and anyone else I've forgotten (sorry, it was late....) :grouphug

squiggs
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Terri i am so happy to hear your baby is doing better:grouphug , how do you prevent low sugar if that is what is was, how scary that is..

squiggs
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Ok i just saw it was the grapes, but my question still stands?

Apple Corps
12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
squiggs - low blood sugar is prevented via the diet some carbohydrates do the trick.

AC

jules
12-06-2007, 01:47 PM
So glad to hear that Gracey is feeling better!
My fingers are crossed for a full recovery!:thumbsup