PDA

View Full Version : where can i get a squirrel?

mzjd4life
11-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Well right now I'm living in California. I've heard that it's illegal out here to keep them so I havn't bothered trying to find out where I can buy one. But next year I'm moving to Nevada because I'm going to be going to college out there. Does anyone know where I can get a baby squirell out there?:dono

squiggs
11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Have you had a squirrel before, what kind of squirrel are you looking for?

Sciurus1
11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi, As you say they are not for sale in many states, being illegal to even have them, Many States require a permit to even keep an unreleasable animal, as well as training in order to know how to care for them. They are extremely time consuming, requiring frequent care to feed them just as is required for a human child, when they are still nursing. When the begin to reach early maturity they can turn on you, and boy can they BITE! Most of all the animal has to COME FIRST before your activities and even studies. Perhaps if you do have some extra time you can Volunteer at a local animal shelter that helps to rehabilate wildlife, and so can learn how to handle wildlife. In the meantime, may I suggest a fancy rat. They do not need the time and space other medium small mammals do, like rabbits, guinea pigs, or chinchillas. They are also hardier than gerbals, or hamsters, or mice, easy to train, being smart, and very affectionate as well, as one friend I have told me. That is the best advice I can give to you considering your present goals, let alone a career to follow. Blessings S1

Rhapsody
11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a baby squirell out there?:dono

Please know that the rare few members here on TSB that have a Squirrel as a Pet did not buy their Squirrel - but rather we came by them due to the fact that these precious babies had fallen out of their nest or was found on the ground or on a near by drive way after they fell from the tree... and Momma Squirrel did not come back to retrieve her babies, therefore, we became their adopted Mommy.

TexanSquirrel
11-29-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm afriad your average tree squirrel that you see running around outside does not make a good pet. They are cute and sweet as babies but they grow up and want to be free. They will start to bite and scratch people because their wild side is coming out. The 'pet' squirrels you see here are the rare exceptions to the rule.

Flying squirrels are a different story however. They bond to their owners and can provide years and years of companionship and love. :thumbsup

aurora42245
11-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree totally with Gammas baby. I recieved my three little guys because my boyfriend owns a tree service. Unfortunately when they cut down the tree they were living their mom was killed... which leads me to today.

I have spent hours of sleepless nights worry about if they have eaten to much or not enough, are they warm enough or to hot, am I doing everything I can to not let these little guys get MBD. I am a real estate paralegal and work from 9 to 5 which means I wasnt able to feed them for there afternoon snack and lunch. I had to have my mom come over and feed them (god bless her). Which then made me worry if she was feeding them enough or correctly. Ive even contimplated thaking them to work on a few occasions.... and my nightly and weekend activaties have been limited to what I can do and for how long. Now that they are older and are more active, they will only let me feed them and sometimes they even get angry and lunge at me.

Dont get me wrong, I would not trade them for the world it has been a wonderful experience having these precious babys in my life... But like Gammas baby said they are very expensive and time consuming. I am only 20 and just starting out in the field of real estate. When you go threw a can of powder milk every two to three weeks at 20 bucks a can and a lite thats 40 bucks and all the veggies and fruits and nuts they need, it can financially strap you.

With that being said. I would like to wish you good luck in what ever decission you may choose.:thumbsup

philomycus
11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Agreed. I'm all for people having squirrels as pets if they squirrel CHOOSES you...i.e., non-releaseable, etc. I did not go looing for Rocky, he "found" me. I may be all for you having one, but I still strongly advise you to get one AFTER college. I went both through undergrad and grad school and I can tell you now it not the right time. It's like having an infant. Environmental changes do spook them and stress them out.

Now a flying squirrel would make a great pet for you after college....and some people breed them on this forum.

Victor
12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Very good advice has been given here on the question asked by memeber mzjd4life.

We have a special needs squirrel whom we rescued a couple of years ago and is now non-releasable. She (Zipper) depends on us for a clean and safe environment and fresh water and food. Last Spring while my wife Bev was holding her after her bath, the door bell rang and our dogs began barking. Well, Zipper was frightened and bit Bev on the tip of her finger and would not let go! I admire Bev on not panicking but began calming Zipper down all the time blood was spurting from her finger! She has been bit more than twice I am sure, I once and even my older grandchild, once. It just comes natural.

I enjoy the back yard squirrels whom depend on us for food and water. I have an adorable black squirrel that has "adopted" me, and I feed by hand when I find the time. His name is Li'l Critter. I sometimes wish I could pick him up :shakehead and hug him, but I know I would have a fight on my hands, and he would win!:smilecolors

FLUFFYTAILNUT
12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I'll post my "little speech" here too, in case you didn't see it on your other thread. :D

Speaking as an "owner" of a squirrel, I an going to be very honest with you. THINK TWICE ABOUT IT! :D UNless you have raised one from a baby, I doubt very much, you would ever be able to tame an adult. Getting a non-releasable one is a different story, and may adapt to its new surrounding, as it would not be "well" enough to be free. Even then though, you must be aware of what all is involved in owning a squirrel...They can live in captivity for up to 20 years. It is very time consuming, expensive, and life altering. First you have to start with getting it a big cage, and placing it in your home somewhere, with all its nest, bedding, tree branches, food, and toys in it. The squirrel will require Full Spectrum Lighting every day, after it is off formula, so you must buy these expensive lights. It's diet consist of fresh fruits, veggies, and nuts, regardless, of whether they are in season, or not, which gets very expensive. Next, a squirrel usually only bonds with one person. It will attack and bite ANYONE else. Therefore, don't plan on any vacations, or weekend outings. No one else will be able to care for your "baby" while you are gone, and you can't take them with you, because in the states, it's illegal to cross any borders with them. They also are "chewers", which means, all electrical cords, stereo systems, computers, televisions, lamps, kitchen cupboards, window frames, etc., must be squirrel-proofed, as they must be left out of their cage several times a day to run. Another important factor is, are they legal where you live? If not, what will you do if your "baby" becomes ill? Very few vets will have anything to do with them.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, because I love my Baby more than anything. However, I have spent almost a year learning all I can on how to care for her, and am still learning something new every day. I just want to make you aware of what it takes to be "owned". :D

I have to say that a squirrel, honestly, is NOT the pet for a college student, or someone that has their whole life in front of them. :shakehead You will be experiencing too many changes in your life, in the next 10-20 years, as you get older, and a squirrel just doesn't fit into that. They HATE change, and can become very stressed, and die. :(
:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :goodpost :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Luv4scratty
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Hello, i would say that getting a squrriel would not be a good idea. You say that you are going yo collage, they would probly not allow you to have a squrriel in the dorm rooms. Also they are VERY VERY VERY time consuming. I am a stay at home mom. I could not imagine going to collage and taking care of a baby squrriel. It's a big job. I would suggest that you wait a while reserch them. They may look like good pets but they are still wild animals. Please take our advise.<3333Good Luck