PDA

View Full Version : Help please

caseyjazmin
11-29-2007, 06:59 PM
My little Thomas's penis is red and swollen.I pittled him and he peed but screamed.I have been feeding him apples,bananas,cherries,pears,nuts,and variety of veggies.He is only about 10weeks old.Please help i am very worried.:dono

island rehabber
11-29-2007, 07:18 PM
caseyjazmin, don't panic :). First off, do you think he chews or sucks on himself when you're not around? Sometimes when baby squirrels get hungry between meals they will do this, and all you need is to increase the amounts you give him or feed him more often. You don't mention any formula in his diet -- is he weaned already? If he is no longer on Esbilac then make sure he is drinking enough water to stay hydrated. Have you noticed any scabbing on his penis that would stop the flow of urine and cause swelling? Or, is he peeing on himself and getting "urine burn", which can be very painful for him? Also check that there are no threads or hairs caught around it.
Give him a nice warm bath from the waist down, using a little baby shampoo. Dry him off thoroughly, and put an antibiotic cream like Neosporin on his penis and the immediate area around it. If you can get something called Silvadene, that works even better. Apply the cream liberally and see if there is some improvement in the 12 hours after that.....there should be. Poor little dude!!!

caseyjazmin
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Thank you so much.He is already weened he did it himself.Again Thank you.

atlantasquirrelgirl
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Poor little fella. Good advice given so far. Let us know if these suggestions help him.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
You could also start giving him some cranberries. That will help take a lot of the ammonia out of his urine, and it shouldn't burn so much until he gets better. Now that he is completely off formula, is he getting Full Spectrum Lighting? That's a MUST to keep him healthy, along with the correct diet. :)
AND some blue berries..also good for the bladder...produces..easier urine..to pass...not strong....:D

squiggs
11-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Poor lil guy....glad to have you here keep us posted...:Welcome

TexanSquirrel
11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Poor little man! I hope you get him fixed up soon!

GhosTS
11-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Like Gamma already told you, cranberry will clear things up.if its urine infection.