PDA

View Full Version : update on flying squirrel by thosterman

thosterman
11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone!! Well, this morning when I woke up and went to feed her, she wasn't doing real well. She didn't want to eat at all. I got frightened and managed after an hour of phone calling find a rehabilitator about an hours drive from me. So I took her there to be cared for. I feel like that was the best thing I could have done for her. The selfish part of me wanted to keep her with me, but I am just not experienced enough and with the trauma she suffered before I got her..I knew yesterday in my heart this was the right thing to do. I just hope I didn't wait too long. If she makes it, because she isn't in the best shape, she will be rehabilitated and released. The lady that rehabilitates flying squirrels has a colony of them living on her property. She will get to be free. YEAH!! I donated some money to help and the lady is even going to allow me to come to here house sometime and show me how to care for these guys. That way if it ever happens again, which it WILL...every orphan animal always shows up in my life...i'll know how to care for them better.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and caring, encouraging words. I don't think she would have made it overnight if it hadn't been for you guys!! The rehabilitator is going to keep me updated on her condition..even if its bad news...and I'll post to let you guys know. Thanks again and say lots of prayers for her.

Momma Squirrel
11-29-2007, 04:37 PM
:bowdown You are an angel, that was a great thing you did and have done for this little flyer. I am sure you will get another chance to save another little critter. Thanks for the update.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
That is so, excellent..very nice of you..to do..what you have done..thus far..very ..cool!!:alright.gif :thankyou
Be sure to keep us posted as to how your baby is doing...:wahoo :alright.gif :Love_Icon :grouphug

pamela lee
11-29-2007, 05:15 PM
:thumbsup :grouphug I know how hard that was for you but it's truly a wonderful thing you've done for that sweet baby. You made a very unselfish choice putting that sweet little fuzzer first. I'll be praying that all goes well for her so one day she may glide free in the trees.

thundersquirrel
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
thank you for making this decision. :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown it's not easy. but if i had never given up the first squirrel i found to a rehabber, i wouldn't have become a rehabber myself! :D it all works out. :grouphug

atlantasquirrelgirl
11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Many complimentst to you for such a difficult, selfless, and wise thing to do.

Buddy'sMom
11-29-2007, 06:41 PM
That's great news that you were able to locate a rehabber close enough to help you! :thumbsup If your little one needs expert care, that's where she is best. So sad for you, though, to wave goodbye to her. We will be looking for news on how she is doing. :) :thumbsup

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

LittleBabySquirrel
11-29-2007, 07:19 PM
You are wonderful. :Love_Icon :bowdown :Love_Icon

It's awesome that she will teach you how to care for flyers for future reference, and I know it will be very rewarding for you!

I understand how hard it was to give her up due to lack of experience. I had a grey named toby who hurt his foot and I made the 15 mile drive at 1am to bring him to a vet.. granted I had him for about 3 weeks, before his eyes were even opened, and yes I cried the whole 15 miles home..

I hope you stick around, there are great people here and lots and lots of information and experience! :D

fotheloveofsquirrels
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Aww! I know that is a hard decision to make, but you did the right thing. YOu did a wonderful job caring for her. By doing what you did do for her, you are already one step closer to knowing what to do the next time.

I myself have had to make some very difficult decisions when it came to making the choice to release my Grey squirrel babies. Thank you for taking such great care of the little flyer. Keep us posted on her progress.

:wave123