PDA

View Full Version : rehabber needed desperatly long island ny

kttykt1963
11-29-2007, 03:12 PM
i desperately need a rehab on long island in new york have a four month old raised since just a day or two but now needs to be released. someone please help me i have to move and cant take him with me kttykt963@hotmail.com

Critter_Queen
11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I sent private messages to three of our New York rehabbers here. Hopefully someone will be on soon to talk with you, or email you.

island rehabber
11-29-2007, 06:33 PM
OK I've given kttykt two rehabbers near her and I'm still looking for others. Prayers & hopes for a quick response!! :thumbsup

island rehabber
11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Good news everyone -- a wonderful rehabber I met through a rehabber's network is taking kttykt1963's squirrel Rufus so he can be properly released to the wild -- :wahooAnother Squirrel Board success! :thumbsup

Critter_Queen
11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
:jump :jump :wahoo :alright.gif :alright.gif :wott :wott :jump :jump

Mars
11-30-2007, 01:23 PM
:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo :alright.gif

Buddy'sMom
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo Great work, IR -- and very speedy!! :bowdown :bowdown :thumbsup :thumbsup

:Welcome kttykt1963, you did great, wanting the best outcome for your little Rufus and coming here for help! :bowdown :bowdown
You must have done a very good job with him if he was so young when you found him, and must love him very much.:Love_Icon We know how they wriggle right into your heart! It is sad to say goodbye, but it is a very good feeling to know they are going off to do their squirrely-thing in the trees! It sounds like Rufus owes his life to you. :flash3 Best wishes to you and to Rufus!

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

fotheloveofsquirrels
12-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Thats so wonderful!! Great job.................:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo :wahoo :wahoo :wahoo I love happy endings!!!

Momma Squirrel
12-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Great job IR, :thankyou kttykt1963 for caring so much to get the best care possible for this little one

anneke
12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
It's always so wonderful to here the happy endings :)

Congrats to all!

island rehabber
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
The little squirrel is in the best of hands now, and I'm so glad Michelle was able to help him so quickly, but I feel compelled to tell everyone the whole story behind this squirrel. I tread on dangerous ground again, because this one goes into that prickly category titled: Why Rehabbers Try to Discourage People from Keeping Squirrels:

Michelle told me that this person who had the squirrel had actually called her already, several months ago asking how to take care of a baby squirrel. Michelle told her, as did the nature center who referred her, that he needed to be brought to a licensed rehabber. The person argued and got nasty and said she wanted to do it herself, she works at a vet, yadda, yadda, meanwhile she was feeding him evaporated milk. Michelle thought he would die during the night, but with help from another very experienced rehabber, luckily he made it through. He is dehydrated, hypothermic and severely, severely malnourished. She thought he was almost having seizures last night. Michelle is so upset about this because she begged this girl to bring him to her or another rehabber, and even offered to pick him up and the person said she would call back and never did. She wanted to keep him as pet. The worst part is there was another woman that works at the same vet that told her to feed him the evaporated milk and coached her on how to take care of him. And so exactly what has this desperately ill baby been fed? Tomatoes, cucumber and mushrooms, that is it!!!!!! He had diarrhea all over the small cat carrier that he was living in for 4 months and his poop was pure tomato!!!!

I'm sorry to bring everyone's head down but I felt it necessary to air the sordid details of this poor baby's ordeal. These are the people that rehabbers think of when we hear "kept squirrel as a pet", unfortunately, and not the beautiful, caring, excellent pet squirrel parents we have here on TSB. If only they could all be like you guys. :(

Critter_Queen
12-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

IR, PLEASE thank Michelle for being willing to take this guy in even though he wasn't properly cared for, and will have a VERY VERY LONG road ahead of BOTH of them in order to make him releaseable. The poor thing. :Love_Icon

He's going to feel SO much better now that he's in proper hands. :grouphug If you wouldn't mind, could you remind Michelle (if she doesn't already know all of it) that he likely has MBD and will need supplemental heat until he decides his bones don't ache anymore. This is one key thing that I found made Tanna SO much more comfortable when she was sick. If her vet it willing, a big 'ol shot of calc/phos would do him well today, too. Help jump-start his system...and will help "hold him over" until he starts eating good foods again. (don't be surprised if he throws a hunger strike the first few days).

Again, probably all info she already knows...but wanted to help if I could. :grouphug

ETA: Putting him on Esbilac is probably the best thing she could do right now, if he'll take it...vanilla yogurt or heavy cream helps make it tastier to them as well as healthier. Again, she probably knows this...just making sure. :)

Buddy'sMom
12-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Sigh. At least he is in good hands now. :) :grouphug [I guess with the benefit of hindsight, it's perhaps more apparent why it was an emergency to find a rehabber for him this week. :shakehead ]