PDA

View Full Version : do squrrils need sunlight

pontiacfiero1984
11-28-2007, 11:28 PM
i have recently gotten a squrrile that was hit by 2 cars and she is extreamly well taken care of andi really need toknow some info on them con some people please tell me the things i need to do to keep her healthy she can eat againe after a long 2 months learning how to clip teeth when they grew too long cause noone wants to deal with these wonderful creatures in this area i have been to hell and back with miss. patatoes thats what i namede her among other names i love her with all my heart and i just want to know what i need for her please help martin i believe she is either a red or grey squrrile thank you u people are great i have read post u do everything for these lil guys please give me some pointers
martin

pamela lee
11-29-2007, 12:24 AM
:Welcome First off let me Thank Ya'll for saving this precious squirrel. I'm sorry I won't be much help but I do know that YES squirrels do need atleast an hour of natural sunlight (light going through glass or screen doesn't count) or Full Spectrum light. The light makes them produce vitamin D and in turn allows them to absorb the calcium they eat.
Hopefully by in the mornin' someone with more info will be here but for now you could let us know things like......What does her diet consist of so far? What kind of injuries did she sustain? What are your long term plans for her?
Pictures would be very helpful also.
Take care
Pamela

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 01:51 AM
ok this is the deal i had her on antibotoics for almost a month and a half a rehabber told me she had a broken jaw so i fed her applesauce for a month then the day came i saw her pich a nut up and crack it open i was so happy i almost cried cause she had came so fa as from the n ight she was found all dehyriated and mel nourished i that she was gonna sdie that nite i had ledt her outside she dident even move a inch them my mom afgreed to take me to a rehabbers house the day after this happen\ed it was a sunday morning and i found a great rehabber that helped me so much but then once she stabilizes she turned on me saying she could conme get her u know its illegal to have a wild squrrile in your home so i told her like this when she needed u most u got her antibotics but u dident help with her teeth or a help a bit with her when i need help with other things so i told her notto call againe so i have her in a cage in my garage she has lots of hay lots of blankets and plenty of food and she has her own lil heater i call it the squrriley warmer she has seeed to recover almost all the way but nomater what her teeth keep growing so i have to keep clipping them like told on a website i found they had almost turned into tusk the poor lil girl i was nervouse to do it but she would have died otherwise cause all the vets can offer me is to put her down hell no i am not gonna do that we have come a long way and miss patatoe deserves to live she was hit by 1 car and accidently ran over at night byu my moms 2 months ago she eats alot and she seems to be healthy now but she doesent get up much is it cause its winter she is really nice just dont pick her up lol she gets a lil mad but doesent bite also on the skin on her 1 back leg she seems to have a bump a hard bump just under the skin what would that be if anyone knows please let me know i feel i can trust you guys so thats why i have signed up fpt his siteplease help me out here and also post anything that can help let me know everything aa squrrile needs

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 01:56 AM
i feed her applesauce cause thats all she will drink for some reason and igive her romaine hearts celery cut up unsalted peanuts i crack the shells 4 her to make it easier with that past jaw injury i do giveher water i take the corn hunks out of parrot food she likes we had a bad expericence with a piece of corn 1 month after this happrned anything else yoiu wanna knoe ask me

oh yeah i give her .5 of a cc of liqid bird vitiman usually just to keep her up on vitimans is that ok i mean u cant find squrrile vitiman

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 02:00 AM
so in a nut shell she was mel nourished extreamly dehyrated hit by a car and ran over and is still alive what a will to live reason i know she was hit by a car the same day my mom accidently ran her over is my friend around the corrner said he saw his neighbor hit a squrrile earlier that day and she already had dried blood on her when i fund herso but she seems to be well now

squiggs
11-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Lets see some pics of this baby....:thumbsup

island rehabber
11-29-2007, 10:19 AM
:Welcomepontiacfiero1984....
First of all, thanks for saving this poor little girl and for caring enough to want to give her all the right nutritional foods. There is a ton of info on this Board about squirrel diets and nutrition. Most importantly, you have to think about calcium: squirrels get it from chewing antlers and bones, from eggshells, and from leafy greens like kale, broccoli, chickory, mustard greens, etc. I would suggest you start with the excellent list 4skwerlz has compiled here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7947&highlight=Diet+squirrel

Also your squirrel needs natural sunlight -- NOT thru a window or screen -- for some part of every day. If that is not possible, she needs to be under a Full Spectrum Light for at least a few hours every day. You can order one from Chris's Squirrels & More, www.squirrelsandmore.com.

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 03:18 PM
she is in a medium sized dog cage and i have used hay and straw as bedding since i have gotten gher and tons of blankets a small kittie bed she sleeps in covered with a blanket lol anytghing else ask me

pics will be up of her soon i need to take a couple

newowner
11-29-2007, 04:35 PM
she seems fine but she does need a light kinda like a turtle i think it was called full something anyway i am so happy you rescued her:) :) :) :peace :jump

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 04:40 PM
were can i get that light sorce she needs and i agonna try to do some pics tomorrow i am extreamly tired today i was up so late she yeah she hasent had much sunlight since this has happened what type of tree branched or do any type work let me know

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
she cant crack em compleatly herselfe i have to crack he shells a bit u know i cheat and then she thinks she is opening em

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
she also has 1 top tooth missing

pamela lee
11-29-2007, 05:06 PM
What kind of squirrel is she? Is she an adult or still fairly young? If you plan on keeping her long term then she will need a cage that's atleast 5 ft tall, she will also need to be kept somewhere she can have some playtime outside of the cage. Like a squirrel safe room. Right now I'd say getting her a FSL and on the right diet is the most important things. You can get the light at any pet store, usually in the reptile aisle, it must say Full Spectrum Light. It can also be found at Big Lots, WalMart and Lowes. If you can't get the light right away then maybe you could take her outside into the sunshine in her cage I'm sure she would enjoy getting out of the garage for a little while.

pontiacfiero1984
11-29-2007, 05:26 PM
i have been with her all the way through this and i will go to any extent to keep her saf so the answer is yes i will keep her if need be i will do all and everything to make her happy and healthy

4skwerlz
11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
i have been with her all the way through this and i will go to any extent to keep her saf so the answer is yes i will keep her if need be i will do all and everything to make her happy and healthy

It sounds like you really love Miss Potato. No matter what you decide to do, we are here to help you through it.

Does she seem to be recovered from being run over?

Do you have any specific questions right now?

If you need to talk, someone could join you in the Chat Room, Lobby. Sometimes it's easier to talk there. If you want to Chat, then just say so here, and whoever is available can PM you to meet there.

Pam
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
:wave123 Martin.:Welcome to TSB. You are doing a great job with your squirrel! It is amazing that she was HBC twice and didn't have more injuries than a broken jaw.

I have a pet squirrel that is missing a tooth. Roxy broke hers when she was a baby so it had to be pulled. I wasn't able to release her because she can't grind down her teeth. I take her to the vet about every month to two months for a trim. I saw that you learned to trim your squirrel's teeth. WOW! Roxy has to be sedated for her trimmings. She is tame, but does not like for me to do anything with her mouth.