PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

Abbyapple12
11-28-2007, 06:59 PM
In our duck box down by our lake a squirrel made a nest and had 2 or 3 babies. They r so cute. I opened it up and did not know they were in there and there they were so cute. huddled in the moss and twigs. then I looked down there today and one was crying. and I tried looking for 30 min for the mom but did not see her. so I went and left them alone and took care of my ducks. then I went back to check on them again and one was climbing up to peek out the whole. the other one was crying inside. I was getting worried. I have a bottle and the formula because I had to feed a gerbil before but I was prepared if I had to take them in. They took great intrest in me and looked at me. one cried at me. it started to rain so I went inside after that I came out to look at them again. The one that climbed up before herd me coming and came back up 2 c me. But it wasw so thirsty it started liking the dampness of the wood. I was wondering how many times a day a mother nurses her babies?

fotheloveofsquirrels
11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
In our duck box down by our lake a squirrel made a nest and had 2 or 3 babies. They r so cute. I opened it up and did not know they were in there and there they were so cute. huddled in the moss and twigs. then I looked down there today and one was crying. and I tried looking for 30 min for the mom but did not see her. so I went and left them alone and took care of my ducks. then I went back to check on them again and one was climbing up to peek out the whole. the other one was crying inside. I was getting worried. I have a bottle and the formula because I had to feed a gerbil before but I was prepared if I had to take them in. They took great intrest in me and looked at me. one cried at me. it started to rain so I went inside after that I came out to look at them again. The one that climbed up before herd me coming and came back up 2 c me. But it wasw so thirsty it started liking the dampness of the wood. I was wondering how many times a day a mother nurses her babies? Hmmm! usually squirrels are very territorial and you will hear the mother chattering close by if anyone approaches. I know my wild momma squirrels are very protective. Are there any signs of her around at all?

Abbyapple12
11-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Hmmm! usually squirrels are very territorial and you will hear the mother chattering close by if anyone approaches. I know my wild momma squirrels are very protective. Are there any signs of her around at all?
I just saw her as it was getting dark and she went in.the bbies r about 5 or 6 weeks.

fotheloveofsquirrels
11-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I just saw her as it was getting dark and she went in.the bbies r about 5 or 6 weeks. good! Just keep an eye out to make sure she keeps coming back. You can kind of keep a watch over her babies as she comes and goes. Hopefully you will get to enjoy seeing them grow.

Abbyapple12
11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
good! Just keep an eye out to make sure she keeps coming back. You can kind of keep a watch over her babies as she comes and goes. Hopefully you will get to enjoy seeing them grow.
do u know how many times she comes back to nurse with her babies?

LynninIN
11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
:alright.gif momma's back. Thanks for caring about the babies. Now you can watch them grow up in the wild, it's so fun when they start all their antics.

:Welcome

squiggs
11-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I had no idea they had babies in december, I thought it was a march/april/may thing, wow you learn something new all the time:D

Abbyapple12
11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
This is the actual duck box at my lake last summer when the wood ducks were laying eggs.

Buddy'sMom
11-28-2007, 08:41 PM
:Welcome It's great that squirrel momma came back! Once the babies get this old, she may leave for several hours in the afternoon, but should come back by nightfall.

Your duck box looks like it's about the size and shape of the squirrel nestboxes people build, so it would look like a good place to a squirrel. But ... is the duck box on the ground? THAT would make it rather unusual for a squirrel, as they usually live up high away from predators.

You are in for a major treat!! The babies are close to the age when they will become more curious and keep peeping out of the hole, then venturing outside the box to explore. It's so adorable to watch, you can hardly tear yourself away! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon If you have a camera and can post pictures, please share -- we LOVE pictures!! :D

:grouphug :grouphug

TexanSquirrel
11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
:Welcome

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
This is the actual duck box at my lake last summer when the wood ducks were laying eggs.
Oh..me too..cant wait for pictures!!!!:Welcome

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
11-29-2007, 05:26 AM
Glad to hear mom came back. When they are that old, she is probably only feeding them 4-5 times a day.

Don't worry Buddy's mom, if the nestbox is for wood ducks it is up in the tree. They lay their eggs up in a hollowed out tree or nestbox and the babies actually have little claws on their feet when they are young and climb up and out of the nest, fall to the ground and then go with mommy to the pond.

island rehabber
11-29-2007, 05:55 AM
To answer the question about breeding seasons, in southern climates squirrels breed all year round.....so there can be pinkies in December and fuzzies in January.....OMG if I lived where there were pinkies needing rehabbing all year round, I think I'd be dead by now....:sanp3 :D

squiggs
11-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Thank you island for verifying that, that is amazing!:thankyou

Abbyapple12
11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
:Welcome It's great that squirrel momma came back! Once the babies get this old, she may leave for several hours in the afternoon, but should come back by nightfall.

Your duck box looks like it's about the size and shape of the squirrel nestboxes people build, so it would look like a good place to a squirrel. But ... is the duck box on the ground? THAT would make it rather unusual for a squirrel, as they usually live up high away from predators.

You are in for a major treat!! The babies are close to the age when they will become more curious and keep peeping out of the hole, then venturing outside the box to explore. It's so adorable to watch, you can hardly tear yourself away! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon If you have a camera and can post pictures, please share -- we LOVE pictures!! :D

:grouphug :grouphug
it is about 3 or 4 ft above the ground. This morning we saw her go back in.

mzjd4life
11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
have u gotten any pictures?
that would be great
and have fun watching them grow up in the wild
it will be a very special treatmjs

Rhapsody
11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I had no idea they had babies in december, I thought it was a march/april/may thing, wow you learn something new all the time:D

She is from FLORIDA....... and what can we say but - "It is Warm all Year Around" - therefore baby animals are often born out of season around here.