PDA

View Full Version : Wild squirrel balance problem

Topsy
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Hello, last summer 2 young squirrels turned up together who toppled over when I fed them peanuts. I thought maybe they were just young and uncoordinated.

One is still around and has looked healthy (until recently) other than she hasn't got good balance. About a month ago, I saw her fall twice from a squirrel feeder in the back yard. So I started to put all food on the ground where it seemed safer.
Long story - but she has really won my heart. I call her Topsy.

Her balance has slowly gotten worse (cold weather?) In the past few days, she can't walk far without falling and sometimes almost drags herself. Now she is going downhill fast - I just try to make sure she has shelled nuts so can get energy quickly. Her eyes are still bright, but she seems like she is getting paralyzed. Still climbs the trees, but who knows how often she has fallen. I called Oregon Dept of Fish & Wildlife about 2 months ago - he thought it might have been caused as a bot fly larvae was exiting and damaged the spinal cord. I am not sure what to do for her now- any advice or information is welcomed. Has anyone seen squirrels like this?

Critter_Queen
11-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I've seen squirrels like that on my work campus before...never been able to catch one, though. Do you think Topsy would allow you to capture her? Either by trapping her (Hav-a-heart) or if you can toss a bath towel over her and scoop her up that way. (would need a cage handy though!)

thundersquirrel
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
this sounds like a problem, esp. if it's been getting worse.

is there any way to catch this squirrel? it sounds like she may have an inner ear infection, or something along those lines. that can be fixed with antibiotic, but you'd probably have to catch her.

if i were you, i'd call a local rehabber and talk about options. they could help you catch her, and would have access to any medicines she needs.

i've never heard of a bot fly doing that, but if it is a bot fly, the problem should go away soon. it's kind of out of season for bot flies, though...

squirrelfriend
11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I have a few squirrels like this. I watched them get worse and worse outdoors. Once I got them indoors they improved a little. They don't seem to recover completely but it seems to stop in its tracks with some TLC and good diet. If you can catch and keep her she will be safe from predators as well. I have never been able to figure out just what causes this. It could be head trauma, poisonings from toxins, bot fly larvae like they told you or who knows.

If you want to read up on some other cases like this you can read up on my Mr. Tilty in the Grey Squirrel forum, Grumblebee and also Weebles. They all have the same problem.

squirrelfriend
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2529&highlight=head+injury

Here is where Grumbles story started on here. It continues in the grey squirrel forum. Grumbles has it the worst of all my guys.

Topsy
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for every one of your replies - I don't feel so alone with this problem now. May have to try to catch Topsy tomorrow or soon, as she is getting so vulnerable. The hearty squirrels even try to chase her off. And of course, there are cats around the neighborhood. All I have is a blanket & cat carrier for now, which is so small I wouldn't want to keep her there long. I have never done anything like this before. And I know she might bite out of fear. I will read about some of your squirrels that also have had similar problems. (Mr. Tilty - great name.)

Also, I will look on the list for a rehabber near Salem, OR. In Oregon, I don't think we can keep injured animals as pets. I don't really want to make a pet out of her. Yes, information on how to catch her would be good. And if anyone has any Oregon specific information, that would be good also. Your support is great! So glad I found this website.

thundersquirrel
11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
some tips about catching a squirrel;

-always wear gloves or put some kind of barrier between yourself and contact with the squirrel
-if it's a squirrel that trusts you, try not to break all trust barriers in catching the squirrel; it's best food source is you, and if you fail it may be too afraid to return to eat
-call animal control and ask if they would help you; sometimes they are very glad and willing to help, if they have the time, and they have more equipment than you

there are a few methods to catching, here are some;

- simply get a towel over her, grim firmly (but gently), and place her and the towel into the carrier. one hand should have the squirrel's neck in between fingers with pressure on the shoulder blades, the other hand should hold the squirrel's haunches above the back legs with you palm on their behind. note that the squirrel WILL fight your grip at all costs, with a lot of muscle, so it'll need to be quick and steady

- wear gloves and catch the squirrel with a net- best net to use would be a butterfly net. once the squirrel is in the net, have someone else cover it with a towel and hold it.

- when the squirrel next comes for food, place a little food around and a little food inside a hav-a-hart live trap. once the squirrel is caught, simply open the trap door near a small sheltered area within the cage. watch the cage to make sure you get the right squirrel. i recommend you try this method, as it is the easiest if you can pull it off.

please let us know how this goes. good luck. :thumbsup

4skwerlz
11-27-2007, 10:24 PM
May have to try to catch Topsy tomorrow or soon, as she is getting so vulnerable. The hearty squirrels even try to chase her off. And of course, there are cats around the neighborhood. All I have is a blanket & cat carrier for now, which is so small I wouldn't want to keep her there long. I have never done anything like this before. And I know she might bite out of fear.
Hi there,
I see Thundersquirrel has given you some good options for catching Topsy. In her condition, it shouldn't be difficult to catch her. I know it is scary to touch a wild animal. But you have to do what is best for her.

She will probably settle down much quicker than you think (see Luv4Scratty's threads--he caught a wild squirrel that needed help and he is adjusting fine). Believe me, they know when they need help. Once you have her you can feed her up and see about finding a vet. One day at a time..... Be brave! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Let us know if you need help catching her.

island rehabber
11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Topsy, you're an angel for trying to save this little one. There is something called Bach Flower Remedy or Bach Rescue Remedy, available in health food stores, that will calm down your little girl a bit after you catch her. Another rehabber here suggested that you can put a few drops of the remedy into a spray bottle of warm water and "mist" the squirrel with it -- it works very well. You can mist yourself, too, since this is a nerve wracking thing to do! If you don't have a spray bottle you can put a drop or two on her fur in the back of her neck and it will have the same effect. Good luck! :)

Topsy
11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow - it's cold outside, that is, for us here in the valley in Oregon. Rumor has it we may even see some flakes tonight which is not too common. Birds are active & stocking up. Squirrels were out also. Topsy finally showed up but stayed close to the Douglas Fir & came after some of the others left. She tries to stay away from the bossy strong squirrels. I hope she ate enough to stay warm tonight. She goes slow & unsure along the wooden fence.

But I can tell, she still has enough strength so that it will not be easy for me to catch or transfer her to a cage. The good news is - I found a place right here in Salem for wildlife rehabilitation. If I can catch her, they will take her. I found the link through this website, so thanks again. This little squirrel has led me to this neat Squirrel Board & a local wildlife rehab center that I had no idea existed. She has broadened my horizons! I will let you know how it goes. You are all just great!

island rehabber
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
This little squirrel has led me to this neat Squirrel Board & a local wildlife rehab center that I had no idea existed. She has broadened my horizons! I will let you know how it goes. You are all just great!

you're pretty great yourself for caring so much about her! Please keep us posted and best wishes for an uneventful capture!! (The best kind. :D)

squirrelena
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi Topsy,

You have received a bunch of good advice from people more experienced than I, so I will try to be brief. I rehab squirrels with my daughter, Thundersquirrel, and she is much more talented at handling adult squirrels. You might be brave too, but I want to tell you how I do it in case you get nervous when trying to catch the squirrel. My first choice would be a Have-a-Heart cage. They work so great, I accidentally caught a favorite squirrel one time (was trying to catch chipmunks that were under my cement). Anyway, most good hardware stores have them and they are not very expensive. What worked really well for baiting it was a cracker with peanut butter (smell really travels) and then sprinkle no-shell peanuts or bits of apple on it. It is so easy to transfer them to an appropriate cage when in a gentle trap like that. Another way I have caught one was to put a laundry basket over it. I could then cover the basket with a towel to calm the squirrel (remember "if they can't see you - they think you can't hurt them"), I then placed a heavy stone on top and called the humane society. They helped me to put it into a carrier. They are skilled and have very thick gloves, and they can see the squirrel through the holes in the basket. Hope it helps, good luck and thank you for caring about the squirrel.

Topsy
11-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I feel so awful - can't seem to capture Topsy. She seems to know she is vulnerable & stays close to trees. Unless she goes slow, she can hardly walk on the ground without falling now. I gave it a gallant effort today when she came down to feed on the ground. My thought was to get her to more open ground away from a tree trunk as she can't run fast anymore. I did that, and she did everything in her power to escape me. She squirmed across the ground & into pile of wood debris and then got away. Poor thing, she used all her strength to get away from me & I feel so bad. I probably injured her further. I can see this is a two person job - one to corner her & the other to pick her up. Maybe someone can help tomorrow. No one around today. Each day she navigates worse & worse. I'm sad . . . May try the laundry basket idea. :(

Critter_Queen
11-30-2007, 04:26 PM
definitely try the l-basket and using two people if you can find a helper.

Try not to feel bad about not being able to catch her. I'm a licensed rehabber and I had two like yours last year that I never was able to catch...so it's not you. They are just so afraid of people they can't help it. :Love_Icon We know the love in your heart, though. :grouphug

4skwerlz
11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
I feel so awful - can't seem to capture Topsy. She seems to know she is vulnerable & stays close to trees. Unless she goes slow, she can hardly walk on the ground without falling now. I gave it a gallant effort today when she came down to feed on the ground. My thought was to get her to more open ground away from a tree trunk as she can't run fast anymore. I did that, and she did everything in her power to escape me. She squirmed across the ground & into pile of wood debris and then got away. Poor thing, she used all her strength to get away from me & I feel so bad. I probably injured her further. I can see this is a two person job - one to corner her & the other to pick her up. Maybe someone can help tomorrow. No one around today. Each day she navigates worse & worse. I'm sad . . . May try the laundry basket idea. :(

You have to be bold and quick. The tiniest hesitation and they're gone. The laundry basket is an excellent idea. Two-person job definitely. I doubt you injured her further.

Try not to feel bad; whatever's wrong with her is not your fault, and you're trying as hard as you can to help. Sometimes it's just not possible....:grouphug

Topsy
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I did not know about the eye contact. Have decided not to try to pick up Topsy as I can't visualize quite how to do it without getting bit. Do you know those pole grippers to get cans down from the top shelf? That is what I have & a friend of mine once picked up a live rat with it. Just a possibility.

At the end of today, I rented a "live trap." It looks so unfriendly, I can't imagine anything wanting to go into it. Will put it out tomorrow, I expect to catch a few of the other mischievous guys first. The next 3 days we expect snow, then high winds & rain storms. Not good squirrel/people weather.

This may not be the same as the "have a heart trap" that was suggested. (?) I borrowed a laundry basket, but the earth is so uneven back by the fence - kind of a rough, uneven, wildish area, leaves, debris. I realized that unless the basket is put on level ground, she will sneak out. So I am rethinking that one. Your prompt messages so encouraged me. I feel better now. We get really attached to our little critters, don't we? They make us smile. One day at a time.

Critter_Queen
11-30-2007, 10:32 PM
That's probably the right trap.

If you can't use the basket, do you have a thick bath towel you could use? If you can get it over her WHOLE BODY, as close to the middle of the towel as you can, it will be easy to immobilize her without being bitten. If you get her completely under the towel block her exits from under it by GENTLY pinning her to the ground under it. With GLOVED hands, reach down on each side of her upper arms and FIRMLY wrap the towel around and under her head, shoulders, front paws (should be under your fingers) and middle of her body. As you pick her off the ground, bring her backward onto your lap which will fold the bottom part of the towel under her tail and hind legs.

I don't think she will have the energy to fight you much. Don't be afraid. I've been bitten before and it's not the worst thing. :D I really think you can towel her if you can get a good shot at getting it over her.

Good luck.

Oh, and don't pick her up with those grabbers...she'll be a lot more gentle than you think...just hold her firmly and keep her eyes/face COVERED. :thumbsup

Topsy
11-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Critter Queen,
1. When I first toss the towel over her, does that somewhat subdue her or does she get panicky?
2. If she is covered, will I recognize head side from tail?
3. How do I separate her from the towel? Or can I just place her in towel into the cat carrier & she will work her way out after I close the door?
Thanks.

atlantasquirrelgirl
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Topsy, do you have access to a havaheart trap. It will make this job less stressful for you and the squirrel. They have them at Home Depot and Lowes.

Topsy
12-01-2007, 12:04 PM
yesterday I rented a "live trap" from rental business. Is it the same as "have-a-heart"?

4skwerlz
12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
yesterday I rented a "live trap" from rental business. Is it the same as "have-a-heart"?

It is probably the same. Anything should work.

You should "practice" with the trap to make sure you know how to adjust it. You can adjust how much weight it takes to make it shut by bending the bar that holds the door open. You don't want it to shut too soon, or too late. You usually only get one chance with a trap, if he gets out, then he won't go back in. Good luck.

Topsy
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Just caught a squirrel with the trap I have, so that is encouraging. Wrong squirrel, of course. He panicked as I approached & then I remembered to go get a towel & cover the trap - it did help calm him down, like you all said. It was funny how fast he BOLTED out when I opened the door.
Yes, the adjustment for weight is pretty primitive on this trap. I have about 1/4th inch adjustment area to play with, so that could be a problem. I have learned a lot from all you squirrely people & have been enjoying reading some of the other threads. I think the trap is the best way to go for someone like me who has never handled wild animals & is timid - I wish I would have gotten it sooner like was suggested. I'll keep you posted . . . . . .

atlantasquirrelgirl
12-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Good luck. Not sure what you baiting it with, but they love sunflower seed.

Topsy
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Dear friends, I had just about given up, plus I began to go through a moral dilemma about her having to live in a cage. It does bother me, but she won't make it on her own. After catching 5 other squirrels, I now have her in the live trap in my living room. The particular rehab person in town is not available to talk to until later in the day. So, if you could help me get her comfortable --she was all wet & looked so small today.

I have covered the live trap with a fleece blanket. She is mostly calm, but gives warning noises if I try to peek at her. I borrowed a heating pad & it is under part of the cage. So she can move away from it, I think. I have it set on the 3rd heat setting (four is the highest.) Too warm? I can drop food into the cage, but there is no water container in there yet. I pushed a piece of fleece blanket in for her & she charged me. So I am hesitant to put a water dish in just yet. Have had her about 1 &1/2 hours. Poor thing. I want to take the blanket off & get her all squared away, or is it better just to leave her alone for awhile?

Buddy'sMom
12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Congratulations!! You are doing great!

She will settle down best if she is left alone -- poor thing doesn't know you are there to help her.

Heating pad might be a little warm on that setting, but it depends how much is between the pad and the squirrel, and how cold the room is. The idea is to give her soothing warmth. So maybe 1 or 2 would be enough.

You may be more able to put something into the cage once she goes to sleep. In the meantime, if you think she might be thirsty, you could give her some grape halves or slices of apple that you can slip between the bars. But if she only has to stay until you get her to the rehabber tomorrow, she might be ok without water -- she would normally be sleeping now anyway, not wandering around looking for a drink.

Quiet and dark will make her more comfortable -- she will probably curl up in her piece of fleece and go to sleep.

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Mars
12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Put the heater on low. And it should be fine. :) Instead of water in a bowl, for now perhaps a water rich food such as fresh apple would do nicely. Just keep her warm and quiet and let her rest. She is terrified and does not understand you are actually trying to help her.

Topsy
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Dear friends, I had just about given up, plus I began to go through a moral dilemma about her having to live in a cage. It does bother me, but she won't make it on her own. After catching 5 other squirrels, I now have her in the live trap in my living room. The particular rehab person in town is not available to talk to until later in the day. So, if you could help me get her comfortable --she was all wet & looked so small today.

I have covered the live trap with a fleece blanket. She is mostly calm, but gives warning noises if I try to peek at her. I borrowed a heating pad & it is under part of the cage. So she can move away from it, I think. I have it set on the 3rd heat setting (four is the highest.) Too warm? I can drop food into the cage, but there is no water container in there yet. I pushed a piece of fleece blanket in for her & she charged me. So I am hesitant to put a water dish in just yet. Have had her about 1 &1/2 hours. Poor thing. I want to take the blanket off & get her all squared away, or is it better just to leave her alone for awhile?

Topsy
12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Opps, sent that msg twice. So nice, you were so quick. I got a little water in along with small piece of pear & apple. She is quite active in there now(4:15pm here) perhaps thinking it is time to get back to her home before dark. I hope she is fixing her blanket. She was not on it prior as it was not over the heat. Several times she makes a sound like teeth chattering or purring of some sort. Any one recognize that? Will she begin to startle less & less?

thundersquirrel
12-03-2007, 06:37 PM
how large is the cage she's in?

she is a wild squirrel, but she will calm down. all her life, she has had to be constantly ready for danger, even when her environment is safe.

now, when she feels that life-threatening danger is so close, she's likely to be freaking out a bit.

don't speak around her; whisper. avoid eye contact. give her food and water, but don't bother going near her yet. she'll need a night of warmth, quiet, and rest. this will calm her down.

keep in mind- wild animals will ALWAYS try to hide injuries from you. they don't want you to see them as an easy target. her condition may be far more serious than we thought, and you did the right thing in catching her.

so for now, keep things dark, and quiet, and warm. all she needs is some time. ;)

squiggs
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow this is intense, please keep us posted on what happens next. Thank you for caring so much about this lil furbaby, we need more people like you. Good luck, grapes and watermelon have lots of water in them so does star fruit:thumbsup

Topsy
12-03-2007, 07:01 PM
The cage is a standard live trap - I am guessing for squirrels & rabbits. Of course, small - but food at one end, heat at far end & blanket piece in middle. There is a layer of several sheets of newspaper between the heat pad & cage then on top. The house is comfortable, but not too warm. I have it covered with two lighter weight blankets, she is still frequently moving around (gnawing on the bars?). The TV is on low. I could move her upstairs, where it would be quieter yet - but again the move would disturb her. Rain & high winds last night & again tonight. How she has managed is really something.

thundersquirrel
12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
well thank goodness you were there to save her. thank you. :bowdown i know it's hard to rescue animals, because you see them suffering and upset and you wish they would understand you're trying to help. it can be frustrating. :grouphug

try to keep every side of the cage covered except for one little part (preferably the door would be uncovered). hopefully she'll think of the one part as the only exit, and if YOU seem to be on the other side of that exit, she'll feel better where she is and calm down.

Topsy
12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
All's quiet now - 8pm & thanks for all the tidbits of information & encouragement. I do so want to peek at "furbaby", but will REFRAIN myself. I may slip out as soon as the store opens tomorrow - they do have Bach Rescue remedy. Would it be OK to spray her food with it? You're the best! This was stressful ! Would never have gotten this far without you all! :grouphug

Critter_Queen
12-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Just want to quickly say YAY!!!! I'm SO GLAD you caught her!!

Good JOB!! :grouphug :wahoo

Critter_Queen
12-04-2007, 06:45 AM
All's quiet now - 8pm & thanks for all the tidbits of information & encouragement. I do so want to peek at "furbaby", but will REFRAIN myself. I may slip out as soon as the store opens tomorrow - they do have Bach Rescue remedy. Would it be OK to spray her food with it? You're the best! This was stressful ! Would never have gotten this far without you all! :grouphug

Just spray it in the air over her...don't put it on the food specifically...you want her to breathe the mist in. (and a slight mist in the face won't hurt her). :)

Buddy'sMom
12-04-2007, 07:57 AM
:wave123 Hope you and furbaby had a quiet night! She is probably going to be really surprised at where she wakes up this morning. :tilt Do let us know how things are today. :)

Topsy
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes, the little sweet one was quiet all night. She is all dry and fluffed up now. She likes the heating pad. I have the trap/cage half uncovered now with a big fir bough next to it so she can get the tree smell. It seems like she smells good, is that true? When I would lift the blanket to peek at her, a pleasant smell came out. (Maybe her fur is full of bark & pine smells.) I just sprayed a fine mist of the Bach's Rescue on both of us. I try to talk fairly often now, so she gets used to some noise. My house is quiet.

At about 1pm today, I bring her to the rehabbers. Anything in particular, I should ask them? I hope they will inform me of her progress. There is another gray squirrel at the rehab, so I am glad Topsy will have a potential companion.

thundersquirrel
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
i'm so glad she's calmed down! great job! :thumbsup

i'm not sure why she smells good. usually squirrel urine isn't a pleasant smell, but maybe she hasn't peed enough to start smelling funny. i personally love the smell of baby squirrels.

when you see the rehabbers, ask them to keep in touch. ask them if she can be released back into your yard. other than that, i'm not sure. if they volunteer for an organization, you could donate some money to go towards any vet bills the squirrel may have. no pressure, but it's always appreciated. :Love_Icon

your squirrel is an adult; they'd be crazy to mix her with another squirrel, unless the two squirrels were healthy and had a very large cage to roam and lots of food. but i'm sure they'll be able to smell each other, that might help.

thanks again for doing this! let us know how it goes.

Buddy'sMom
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
It's good that you are both calmer today :) . Good thinking to give her a "tree" to bring some of her world into your. :thumbsup I hope you have a smooth transfer to the rehabber. Covering the cage while transporting her might keep her calmer. And a spritz of Rescue Remedy (for both of you :) )

You are doing a great job! And a wonderful thing for her!

atlantasquirrelgirl
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Regarding the smell, squirrels are neurotic about keeping themselves clean. I've also notices that Peanut has a floral smell, and she lives outside in her own nest. I don't know why they smell so good, either.

Topsy
12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Topsy went to the rehabber on Tues afternoon. I got all teary, but it was the best thing - she just didn't have good land-legs anymore. I was pleased with the woman rehabber - she seemed so kind. What was best of all, was a very large fenced area in the backyard where eventually Topsy can live while she stays there. At least she would feel semi-wild. In Oregon, she can't be kept as a pet. (Too bad, she would make a good pet, very sweet.)

I can call next week to see what the diagnosis is. The rehabber felt that she may not see well & there was swelling by one eye. But she was pleased with Topsy's weight. She also accepted the fir branches I brought along to keep near her two squirrels in rehab. No, they won't be put together - the other one is healing from a cat attack.
So, almost end of story for now, but will let you know what I am told next week. :thankyou for all your wonderful help - amazing that there is such a place as "the Squirrel Board" - who would have ever thought . . . . I will continue to read in here so I can get info about my other grey friends.

Squirrelfriend: Topsy is referred to as "Miss Tipsy" by my neighbor. I think we should set up Mr. Tilty with Miss Tipsy. :Love_Icon Sounds like a good match to me!

Buddy'sMom
12-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm glad you felt good about the rehabber you took Topsy to -- it still must have been very hard. We understand how they grab ahold of your heart :Love_Icon . Come here any time you want to talk about her -- or your other little friends -- or to just keep up with all the other stories here! The pictures will make you smile! :thumbsup

Let us know what the rehabber has to say about Topsy! We wish her the very best! :Love_Icon

LynninIN
12-07-2007, 09:59 PM
:thumbsup Excellent job saving Topsy. :wahoo

I'm admit now that Topsy is save that I giggled like crazy over the 6 other squirrels you caught. :)

Topsy
12-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I think there are only 6 that live around here. It WAS funny how fast they ran out of the trap. But one squirrel I felt bad about: it tried to dart in, grab a nut, & dart out. It was sucessful the first time, but the second time the trap came down right on his face. I have wondered ever since if it broke his nose. That had to have hurt.
Glad someone enjoyed the adventure with me. :)

island rehabber
12-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Fantastic job, Topsy -- you're amazing! Thank you for caring so much and please don't leave us -- keep us updated and share the fun!! :thumbsup:):thumbsup

Topsy
02-09-2008, 12:37 AM
:thankyou Hi you all -- I miss all of you at the Squirrel Board so I am going to have to get back on here. Topsy is at a rehabbers and since they determined she is non-releasable, she will go to a more permanent home in a nearby small town.
She will be in a large outdoor enclosure with branches to climb, dirt to dig & with several more non-releasables.
After the adjustment, I think she will be happy as long as she can dig dirt & bury nuts. She sleeps in her squirrel box & has a good appetite, & loves digging around in the wood shavings on the ground. I'm told the shavings also provide a soft landing in case she loses her balance and falls.

Thank you so much for being there when I needed you! :bowdown You were all so gentle & encouraging. I have other wild squirrels to feed & want to learn more about the greys from your web site here. I guess it's THE END of story for now - thank you for the precious memories! :Squirrel

Lady Squirrelly
02-09-2008, 08:59 AM
I am so glad the sory had a good ending bor sweet Topsy.

You did a wonderful thing caring for her that much.

Please hang around and visit us regularly.

:grouphug :grouphug