PDA

View Full Version : Trapping and Killing Squirrels!!

auntannmarie
06-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, My neighbor has trapped and killed at least 8 squirrels in his backyard because one got in his house. (He also trapped that after it was release - I tried unsuccessfully to save)
I need to know if this is illegal and what enforcement organization do I contact to turn him in to.
After my husband told him we called the health department for the bird - the cage disappeared.
Since he's been doing this for 3 summers now - I absolutely have to put an end to it once and for all.
Please help.
Ann Marie

Secret Squirrel
06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Try calling your local police ands the news station or a letter to the editor of your local paper.......call today!!!!!!

:Welcome Buy the way welcome!!!!! We need all the squirrel lovers we can get!:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Alaskan Squirrel Cam
06-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Better yet, call the local Fish & Game department for the state to find out what regulations there is for trapping or hunting squirrels. He may be doing this out of season, if there is a season or not following the correct trapping laws.

bob

http://www.thesquirrelcam.com

thundersquirrel
06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
i'd call the humane society, too. squirrels are not considered a pest species, and they do have laws to protect them, but i'm guessing that the laws vary depending on where you live. :dono

you might also want to call a rehabber, because rehabbers generally know about laws regarding squirrels in their area, and they might be willing to help you relocate some of the squirrels if it turns out your neighbor can't be stopped. :(

finally, ask island rehabber. she's on here, and you both live in new york, and she's a licensed rehabber, so she'd probably be the most knowledgeable one for your situation. you could PM her about it.

good luck. let us know what happens!

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
http://nwco.net/08-AppendixBNuisanceSpecies/8-12-Squirrels.asp

Legal status in New York:
Gray and fox squirrels are protected game species, with set seasons (the "black" squirrel is actually a gray squirrel that's just darker). Red and both flying squirrels are unprotected. From ECL 11-0523:

"7. Whenever black, grey and fox squirrels, opossums or weasels are injuring property on occupied farms or lands or dwellings, they may be taken at any time in any manner, by the owners or occupants thereof or by a person authorized in writing by such owner or occupant."

island rehabber
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
http://nwco.net/08-AppendixBNuisanceSpecies/8-12-Squirrels.asp

Legal status in New York:
Gray and fox squirrels are protected game species, with set seasons (the "black" squirrel is actually a gray squirrel that's just darker). Red and both flying squirrels are unprotected. From ECL 11-0523:

"7. Whenever black, grey and fox squirrels, opossums or weasels are injuring property on occupied farms or lands or dwellings, they may be taken at any time in any manner, by the owners or occupants thereof or by a person authorized in writing by such owner or occupant."

It figures!!! New York thinks anything that doesn't drive a BMW is a nuisance species -- at least metropolitan New York, anyway!!! Grrrrr.....:madd
Ann Marie, I do know that there are "humane nuisance control experts" available in our area and I will try to find some names for you. These are specially trained nuisance control people who will not use poison and who carefully relocate the animals to areas even better than where they were. Of course they cost money, so that may be a deterrent to your lovely neighbor.....what we need to find out is if it is legal for him to TRAP SQUIRRELS WHO ARE NOT IN HIS HOUSE.....therefore not "injuring property or lands or dwellings....etc etc.". Grrrrr......!!!!

Mrs. Jack
06-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I found this website for a company that serves New Jersey and Staten Island, and it seems squirrels are considered a 'pest' animal... They do mention that it's illegal to poison them... I don't know, this co. says it removes them and then repair and modify the home to keep them out. My problem with it, is it does NOT say what they do with the animals after they "safely remove" them, and that leaves me deeply suspicious.

Flanker
07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
What a despicable scumbag that neighbor is, who has been killing squirrels – such adorable, defenseless, innocent, innocuous animals! I don’t have to tell you everybody what I would do to that scumbag. Legal or illegal, there is never (barring maybe such unique, rare cases as rabies) a justification to kill squirrels.

The laws in existence that allow killing of squirrels, however narrowly they are defined, make no sense whatsoever. THESE LAWS MUST BE CHANGED!!! Killing of squirrels must be made illegal everywhere.

The one, sufficient reason to make it illegal, is that squirrels are simply adorable animals. How does one justify banning the killing of cats, and squirrels not? Just because someone arbitrarily labeled them respectively domestic versus wild animals? From the point of view of ecology, squirrels are incomparably more useful than cats are. I read somewhere that squirrels plant more trees than the humans do.

We, the squirrel-lovers MUST protect our adorable animals from the scumbag-bandits, as that neighbor. He is lucky he is not my neighbor!

Squerly
07-05-2006, 07:40 PM
What a despicable scumbag that neighbor is, who has been killing squirrels – such adorable, defenseless, innocent, innocuous animals! I don’t have to tell you everybody what I would do to that scumbag. Legal or illegal, there is never (barring maybe such unique, rare cases as rabies) a justification to kill squirrels.

The laws in existence that allow killing of squirrels, however narrowly they are defined, make no sense whatsoever. THESE LAWS MUST BE CHANGED!!! Killing of squirrels must be made illegal everywhere.

We, the squirrel-lovers MUST protect our adorable animals from the scumbag-bandits, as that neighbor. He is lucky he is not my neighbor!

Wow Flanker, I don't know if your somebody I really admire or if your just WAY out there. (Or maybe I just just admire people that are way out there.) :dono

How does one justify banning the killing of cats, and squirrels not? Just because someone arbitrarily labeled them respectively domestic versus wild animals?
But I do un"cat"agorically agree with you on this...

vovere
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
The "despicable scumbag" may be trying to protect his family from house fire and protect his garden from death by a thousand holes, plus from their yard from being planted one thousand oak trees that are hard to remove. I caught couple squirrels so far. One died from stress overnight in the cage while i was gonna drop him off 10 miles away the next working day. The other one is in the cage with food and cover from rain and will be dropped off 20 miles away tomorrow in a safe location.

The one, sufficient reason to make it illegal, is that squirrels are simply adorable animals. How does one justify banning the killing of cats, and squirrels not? Just because someone arbitrarily labeled them respectively domestic versus wild animals? From the point of view of ecology, squirrels are incomparably more useful than cats are. I read somewhere that squirrels plant more trees than the humans do.

vovere
01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Good info for you:

"A depredation permit is not required when capturing any nuisance furbearer or squirrel causing property damage within one-hundred yards of a home."

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/control.html

Hi, My neighbor has trapped and killed at least 8 squirrels in his backyard because one got in his house. (He also trapped that after it was release - I tried unsuccessfully to save)
I need to know if this is illegal and what enforcement organization do I contact to turn him in to.
After my husband told him we called the health department for the bird - the cage disappeared.
Since he's been doing this for 3 summers now - I absolutely have to put an end to it once and for all.
Please help.
Ann Marie

SammysMom
01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
This board is dedicated to appreciating and helping squirrels. Maybe we could try to find someone in your area who can help you wit your squirrels rather than just removing them and possibly separating them from young babies. Are they harming your home? There may be steps that you can take to discourage them without harming them.

Garden71
01-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Good info for you:

"A depredation permit is not required when capturing any nuisance furbearer or squirrel causing property damage within one-hundred yards of a home."

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/control.html

:trollsign:banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick

Nancy in New York
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
:trollsign:banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick :banstick

I agree, however his profile says he has some squirrels.........so for now....we wait and see if he needs help.

Garden71
01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
I agree, however his profile says he has some squirrels.........so for now....we wait and see if he needs help.

He needs help alright....:skwredup

island rehabber
01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
vovere? Let me understand something....
You're a new member. You dig up a SEVEN-YEAR-OLD thread and start spewing things like, you caught a squirrel and let it die in a trap, then caught another, are leaving it in a miserable trap to suffer and then you will drop it off twenty miles away with no nest no shelter and no source of food?
You, sir, are NOT the kind of "human" we enjoy or allow as a member of this Board. You're out of here.

And by the way? There is an excellent HUMANE TRAPPER in the NY metro area named Jim Horton who knows how to remove squirrels from an area and bring them to wildlife rehabbers who can safely re-introduce them to the wild. You could learn a lot from someone who DOES IT CORRECTLY.

"

sid'smommy
01-27-2013, 10:45 PM
I know vovere is Lithuanian for "squirrel".... But, I think you might be confused. Did you mean to say "Jeffery Dahmer" ??

HappyLittleSquirrely
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
He needs help alright....:skwredup
Lolz!!:rotfl

Nancy in New York
01-28-2013, 07:06 AM
I know vovere is Lithuanian for "squirrel".... But, I think you might be confused. Did you mean to say "Jeffery Dahmer" ??

I've said it before.
At least Jeffrey Dahmer ate what he killed.:shakehead

sid'smommy
01-28-2013, 09:21 AM
I've said it before.
At least Jeffrey Dahmer ate what he killed.:shakehead
Yes, soooooo true .... (I just threw up in my mouth a little):sanp3