PDA

View Full Version : Top Teeth

caseyjazmin
11-18-2007, 03:40 PM
At what age do babies get their top teeth? Mine still has only his bottom teeth.

4skwerlz
11-18-2007, 04:43 PM
At what age do babies get their top teeth? Mine still has only his bottom teeth.

About 8 weeks. How old is your baby.

caseyjazmin
11-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing he is about 7-8 weeks. also he won't eat bananas or strawberrys but he will eat it in the baby food.and he will try to eat nuts.Is this normal?

4skwerlz
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm guessing he is about 7-8 weeks. also he won't eat bananas or strawberrys but he will eat it in the baby food.and he will try to eat nuts. Is this normal?

Hi Caseyjazmin,

Since you're a new member, hope you don't mind if I go ahead and give you the usual grilling....:D Seriously, it helps if we can get all the info about your baby.

How did you get him?
What have you been feeding him?
How is he caged or housed?
Do you plan to release him, overwinter him, or keep him?
Any other concerns besides his teeth?

At 7-8 weeks he should just be starting to chew on some solids. His top teeth would be barely starting to erupt. This age is critical for their health, so it's great you came to TSB for help. You won't find better advice anywhere.
And BTW, :Welcome to TSB.

TexanSquirrel
11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
:Welcome

Mars
11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
:wave123 :Welcome :wave123

caseyjazmin
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
My husband owns a lawn service and he accidentally cut down the nest.we left the nest there for a couple of hours and the mother never came back.i have been feeding him KMR milk replacement for kittens.and been wheening him to baby food.I got the advise of a good friend who has taken care of squirrels before.He stays in my bathroom i have a towel and a heating pad in there along with a stuffed dog that he sleeps with.I am hoping to keep him but if he decides he wants to be free than i will let him go properly.And i know nibbling is normal but he only nibbls when hes hungry.He is eating 18mls every 4-5 hours i keep trying to give him solid foods but he wont eat it i have even tried acorns that i have opened and are soft.Is this because of his top teeth?

Mars
11-18-2007, 10:01 PM
How long ago did he open his eyes? Relax, don't rush things. Believe me they grow up fast enough as it is. Try to limit his first foods to dry foods he can practice holding such as cherios, banana chips and rodent block. If his teeth are just coming in he is teething and just like a human child maybe a bit fussy. I won't be too worried yet about the top teeth yet. If how ever they don't show up in another week we can have a better look. :)

caseyjazmin
11-19-2007, 08:12 AM
he opened his eyes about 3 weeks ago.What made it so special was I was the first thing he seen or heard.Also I put a fleece blanket in with his bedding.and i always make sure that there are no loops in the towel so he don't get hurt (if there are any I always cut them off.)I don't like shaggy towels.

4skwerlz
11-19-2007, 08:48 AM
he opened his eyes about 3 weeks ago.What made it so special was I was the first thing he seen or heard.Also I put a fleece blanket in with his bedding.and i always make sure that there are no loops in the towel so he don't get hurt (if there are any I always cut them off.)I don't like shaggy towels.

Hi CaseyJazmin,
As mentioned Esbilac formula is closer to mom's milk. He will be on formula for several more weeks at least, so it's probably worth it to try to find the Esbilac. You can buy it at Petsmart, some feed stores, or get it from your vet. I would also say that living in your bathroom will probably not be an option much longer. If you're going to release him, he needs to be exposed to more environmental stimulation, and if you keep him, he can't live in the bathroom forever. Don't worry, I'm going to alert our rehabbers that you need advice on feeding, caging, and release vs. pet. They will help you sort everything out!

Good job so far!:thumbsup

caseyjazmin
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I already have a cage for him he is just too small to go in it right now. and as for relasing i am letting him make the choice.If he does want to be free i will contact the sacntuary thats here i just wanted to care for him myself.i thought i was doing good and asking a question on here from other people that have babies.I really don't need a releasers help until Thomas makes that choice.:thinking :thinking :hurt

island rehabber
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
:WelcomeCaseyJazmin and thank you for caring for this little squirrel! You're getting some great advice here, and thanks for answering our questions so far because that's how we can best help you. At eight weeks your little guy can be enjoying almonds and walnuts if you 'start' them for him, cracking them a little, as well as nice green veggies like kale, spinach, chickory, mustard greens that have lots of calcium in them. (Squirrels need a lot of calcium, as you will see when you read our threads about Squirrel Nutrition. ) I will also reiterate that Esbilac puppy formula is the best for baby squirrels and the KMR may cause serious digestive problems.
What are your long-range plans for this baby? We can help you raise him to release, or find a good wildlife rehabilitator for you when he's ready to be released, or assist you with long-term care of him which gets quite involved. Whichever, we're here to help and we love pictures. :)

caseyjazmin
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I want Thomas to make the choice of being free or not.If he wants to be free than I will introduce him back into the wild.If he doesn't than i have a 6 ft cage made of galvanized steel (with no sharp edges.I filed them down to a smooth finish).It has ramps that he can walk or climb on, and i have branches to put in there(many trees in my yard and my husband has a lawn service so its no problem getting them).

island rehabber
11-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Whoops -- CaseyJazmin I just posted almost at the same time as you, and you've already answered my question. :)Anyway, don't feel overwhelmed by all the info around this place, just go through at your own pace and you'll find lots of great suggestions for keeping your squirrel happy and healthy. :thumbsup