PDA

View Full Version : i just dont know

allenmssy
11-16-2007, 09:00 AM
i have a baby about 5 to 6 weeks old and my boyfriend wants to buy a farret cage.. but i think that he might be able to fit through the bars in the cage so im not sure what kind of cage to get for him...my step dad says that we need a cage made with screen instead ot bars but im not sure if i like that idea.. please help me.. i dont want to get the wrong one... i would hate for him to get out..

pamela lee
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
I used a bird cage while Peanut was young. When he was 3 months old I moved him into a large ferret cage.

Critter_Queen
11-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I agree with Pamela. Small wires for babies like yours...and when they are beyond weaning and almost adult size put them in a larger ferret cage (or similar type).

Lady Squirrelly
11-16-2007, 02:50 PM
This in interesting to me because when I had my first squirrel, (Screech), the vet advised against ferret or bird cages because their feet would slip through and get caught because there was not enough (cross bars) to grab on to.

My cages are all heavy wire With 1X2 openings on the sides and top and 1/2X1 for the bottom, ramps and shelves. Jack runs up the sides across the top (upside down) and all around. I had the big one (originally for Screech) custom made.

Now that I have found the board (Thank goodness), I have wondered about this. So many of you seem to use the large ferret cages.

My original cage maker has passed away and I am not really pleased with the wire one the ones I have been able to find.

How many people use the ferret cages? Are you happy with them? Do they have problem running around on the sides of the cages? Do their little feet ever slip between the bars and get hurt? How do you deal with the big doors and keeping the semi wild ones from popping out when you do not want them to?

Advice welcome. I have 3 babies (Bruiser, Lady, Little Man) just opening their eyes (today) and will need another cage pretty soon. They will be released in the spring along with Grouchetta and Doll.

Mars
11-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I make all my own caging. Check here post 11 & 12 for ideas.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362&highlight=cage+plans

Lady Squirrelly
11-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks Mars for the link.

I will show it to my son. For Christmas he is going to make me an inside cage for the 3 babies to use until Spring and a large outside release cage for all 5 of my darlings.

TexanSquirrel
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
How big are the spaces between the bars in the cage he wants to get?