PDA

View Full Version : NEED URGENT HELP FOR YOUNG SQUIRREL!!!!

squirrelluvr
11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
i have found a young squirrel about a month or so ago. he has been doing very well until today. My 13 year old daughter came home and she found one of our cats in her room looking up at where the squirrel usually stays for pretty much the whole day. when we found him his heart was beating very fast but he calmed down soon after that. so we fed him some cashews and he went to drink some water after eating. soon after that he started to shake profusely and has been doing so since then. they seem like little panic attacks and seem to be getting worse. is there anything that i can do? PLEASE REPLY QUICKLY

Mrs. Jack
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Keep the cat out of the room for starters. Sounds like your squirrels protective instincts are kicking in and he's sensing predator.

what is his full diet? besides the cashews?

Wendi
11-08-2007, 09:58 PM
I was wondering, did he have contact with the cat before?, or was this the first time he had seen it?, is the cat normally allowed near him?, I believe that animals communicate with each other even cross species, your kitty might have been terrifying him for a long time and he had no place to go, he just needs time,give him lots of love and reassurance and he should be fine.he'll probably have nightmares for awhile. good luck

thundersquirrel
11-08-2007, 11:26 PM
the worst that could happen is him going into shock. this can be easily remedied by placing him on a heat source and keeping him in a safe, cozy, QUIET environment. give him some kind of nest.

:Welcome to the board.

squirrelfriend
11-09-2007, 06:22 AM
This sounds like seizures from Medabolic bone disease. Keep him on a heating pad set at low half under the cage. He needs a Full spectrum lamp PRONTO! Some calcium suplements are needed as well. Prime calcium suplement for birds is good liquid calcium (with calcium only) can be bought at your local drug store. Leafy greens contain calcium and should always be given to him. Read up on MBD in the specific ailments section on this board. Anyone keeping a squirrel needs to know about this. If he doesn't get enough calcium and sunlight he will die. Keep us posted on his progress. Best of luck to you both.

philomycus
11-09-2007, 07:27 AM
This sounds like seizures from Medabolic bone disease. Keep him on a heating pad set at low half under the cage. He needs a Full spectrum lamp PRONTO! Some calcium suplements are needed as well. Prime calcium suplement for birds is good liquid calcium (with calcium only) can be bought at your local drug store. Leafy greens contain calcium and should always be given to him. Read up on MBD in the specific ailments section on this board. Anyone keeping a squirrel needs to know about this. If he doesn't get enough calcium and sunlight he will die. Keep us posted on his progress. Best of luck to you both.

:goodpost

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
OMG!! I was thinking the SAME thing when reading this post! :eek: How old is your baby, and what is its diet? We have to get your baby the help it needs SOON, or it will be too late. As stated..FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING MUST be given NOW, and a lot of Calcium in it's diet. We'll help you through this all the way, just make sure you follow all the instructions. MBD is a terrible disease that causes seizures, paralysis, and eventually death. If treated soon enough, it can be reversed, but will take time and effort. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound "harsh" or 'alarming" but we sure don't want anything to happen to your precious baby. :Love_Icon This is a very important issue, and must be addressed immediately. I'm SO glad you found us! :wott Please tell us all the details, and we will get you through this! :thumbsup :Welcome
HEY..I found this Calcium suppliment..and BEAN..my grey..LOVES it...Walmart carrries it..hurry go get it..and the FSL...oh..dont want your baby...to suffer...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Also make sure what ever nuts you do give everything needs to be unsalted!

LittleBabySquirrel
11-10-2007, 09:14 AM
How is the squirrel doing today?