PDA

View Full Version : Bringing home baby..new mom ??'s...

brighteyedgypsy
11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
We are picking up our baby flying squirrel today. We've been waiting a while for her. We have lots of fruits and nuts on hand cause we eat alot of those ourselves in this house. I know that almonds are a no-no. What about pistachios? I also plan on feeding her Esbilac puppy milk while she's still on the syringe. I'm a full time student so I will get to take her to class with me in her bonding pouch. I can't believe the day is finally here!! If I can figure out how to post pics I will when we get home this evening. I have been reading squirrel pages non stop since we learned we were finally getting one and I've picked up some useful info. But I want all the info I can get. What are the best fruits for her? nuts? is gerbil mix what she will eat when she's older? Are there better options than what I've already read? Of course I'm sure the breeder will give info too when we go to pick her up. Were driving about 2 hours to south texas to get her. We will be home around 4:30 Central time. We plan on getting a female, is there one gender that makes a better pet than another? The breeder says no. I would eventually like to have a female and a male. Looking at all these pics of babies, I'm getting pretty clucky! :wahoo

brighteyedgypsy
11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Well I just found Gammas Boy post with all the baby info, which I copy and pasted on a doc on my desktop...one of the best I've seen about baby squirrels and I've been lurking alot! Any info will be greatly appreciated though! Thanks:Love_Icon

thundersquirrel
11-04-2007, 09:39 AM
hi! :Welcome to the board!

let's see here.....ok, keep in mind i'm not a flying squirrel person, i'm a fox/grey/red squirrel person. but i'll try to help until someone more flyer-oriented comes along.

these guys can eat a variety of things. has this flying squirrel been weaned? usually squirrels should have some kind of base multi-nutritional food- like rodent blocks or monkey biscuits. they also need plenty of leafy greens, some fruit (not too much), some nuts, and of course, water.

and i know you didn't ask for this, but i have advice; hold her while she's young. handle her as much as possible. this is the time when she's most impressionable. take advantage of it- create games with her, cuddle her, stroke her, etc..

oh....and post some pictures for us!!! :D

sarahraney
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I am getting a flyer in 3-4 weeks. Good luck with your baby, tell em how it goes!

TexanSquirrel
12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
:Welcome

cr8zyanimalgirl
12-30-2007, 07:44 PM
:Welcome and I have to tell you anything but chocolate and onions is what they can and will eat. I have had my first 2 since 2004 and I was sent 2 beautiful babies last Thursday and I have to tell you they are the wonderful animals. One word of advice LOVE THEM and PLAY with them the more you do the more they will LOVE you!!!!!!!!