PDA

View Full Version : How 'Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm...

finetoons
11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
...After They've Seen Paree?

I have two late summer babies about 11 weeks old now who are thriving, thanks to all you folks. I keep them in a cage (with a nesting box) on my screened-in porch. I let them out to run around the porch for several hours a day. Today the female figured out the doggie door (that was locked and blocked) and had a taste of real freedom for a while. Then she knew it was feeding time and came back.

I hate to keep them cooped up in the cage all the time (it's only 4'x3'x2'), but if I give them full reign of the porch, they could figure out the doggie door again and be out on the town (actually, just out in the nicely wooded backyard).

I'm told by a local rehabber that this is a soft release and is the most ideal situation for these guys. I tend to agree. I think they'd be happy with a choice to go outside, learn the lay of the land, and then they would know where to come to get food, shelter and a good night's rest. Or am I giving them too much credit?

They are pretty much weaned. They can crack nuts...from almonds to filberts, acorns, and the mother of all nuts, walnuts. They hate the monkey and rodent blocks (typical adolescents). They get a better variety of vegetables than my kids.

What do you guys think? Would you keep them couped up all the time in a small cage through the winter, or would you give them more playing room and the potential opportunity for independence (as if they could override instinct...lol).

I'm interested in all opinions.

island rehabber
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm told by a local rehabber that this is a soft release and is the most ideal situation for these guys. I tend to agree. I think they'd be happy with a choice to go outside, learn the lay of the land, and then they would know where to come to get food, shelter and a good night's rest. Or am I giving them too much credit?

My opinion is exactly what the local rehabber said -- sounds ideal to me! :thumbsup
Don't think you're giving them too much credit....they are perfectly hard-wired to be squirrels. All you need to do is assist them. :)

finetoons
11-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks so much, IR. Your advice means a lot. I've been keeping up with you and elvis and the presby's et.al...I have a feeling you know what you're doing!

Isn't it funny how much TSB has calmed down lately? Not too many orphaned babies this time of year, I guess.

TexanSquirrel
11-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Good luck with them! Sounds like they are getting ready to be big squirrels now! :crazy

thundersquirrel
11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
eh, we have our slow seasons. i think a lot of people are wrapped up in the daily grind right now....we're kind of in between holidays, but thanksgiving will bring lots-o-fun!

i agree with IR- sounds like you do too, but i like to add my support. :D