PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Duffo
10-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi, I'm new here :) Glad I found this site 'cause I have a particular interest in squirrels, prairie dogs and marmots. Well anyway I'm all the way from the equator, Singapore in particular and there are only two species of squirrels that can be found here, the plantain squirrel and the slender squirrel. And we can't keep squirrels as pets, really sucks. But anyway some do keep captive bred ones illegally and I'm trying to look for one. mjs I'll have to read up more though, see ya'll around :crazy

FLUFFYTAILNUT
10-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi, I'm new here :) Glad I found this site 'cause I have a particular interest in squirrels, prairie dogs and marmots. Well anyway I'm all the way from the equator, Singapore in particular and there are only two species of squirrels that can be found here, the plantain squirrel and the slender squirrel. And we can't keep squirrels as pets, really sucks. But anyway some do keep captive bred ones illegally and I'm trying to look for one. mjs I'll have to read up more though, see ya'll around :crazy
Oh..yeah...
Lots and lots of research...squirrels are alot of work....
Very time consuming...and most dont like being pets..there are a few special..ones..
Maybe a hampster ?
Alot easier..to take care of..and when your busy..it doesnt matter if they come out of thier cage..
EVERY day.....
Just a thought..
ANd welcome to the squirrel board!!!!
Im Rachel...........................................: peace :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

pamela lee
10-31-2007, 08:27 AM
:Welcome :wave123 Glad to have you join us. You know I'm gonna have to ask...got any pictures? I've never seen a Plantain or Slender squirrel. Are they similar to any of the squirrels in the U.S.?

Bravo
10-31-2007, 09:02 AM
:Welcome Good to have someone here from that area. Yep, we love pics. :thumbsup

Are you originally from that location or working there?

Duffo
10-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi all, well firstly, yep I am originally from Singapore. I was considering keeping either a prairie dog or a squirrel. Hm I thought keeping squirrels are about the same as keeping chinchillas? Well the squirrel population here is pretty scarce for the slender squirrel. The plantain squirrel has adapted to city life and is relatively more common than the slender squirrel, but the squirrels in general are not as easily spotted as those in US. I only spot about one or two daily, sometimes none at all, really sad :( I also wanna learn more about squirrels, so I was wondering if the book Squirrel Animal Answer Guide by Richard W. Thorington, Jr., and Katie E. Ferrell would be a good investment? Haha anyway, in singapore we are only allowed to rear fish, certain species of birds, dogs, chinchillas, hamsters, rabbits, certain species of frogs, turtles and cats. It's really restricted here so most have to resort to keeping exotic animals illegally. Well I don't know if the squirrels here resemble those in US 'cause I'm not really sure about the squirrels there. There are many species that can be found in US right? How do I upload the pictures here? Thanks, sorry for the long post :peace

P.S. does anyone know about the website scary squirrel world? Are they really against squirrels or is it just a joke? :thinking

Duffo
11-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Okay here's the pictures. The one on the left is the slender squirrel, the one on the right is the plantain squirrel.

TexanSquirrel
11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
:Welcome

Illegal is bad!

pia
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
:Welcome

are you sure about wanting a "pet" squirrel?

i see you are "only" 16...........
hope you learn that they are better of as wild, in freedom....
(unless they are hurt or orfan or something...)

anyway, :Welcome

4skwerlz
11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Squirrels are not a good pet for a young person. They live 20 years and need constant, expensive care. What will happen to the squirrel when you go to college, get a job, get married, have children, move away....? You will never be able to take a vacation.

sparky
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi,

the plaintain squirrel looks a lot like a prevost squirrel. You can't help but love squirrels.

Sparky

Mars
11-01-2007, 04:38 PM
:wave123 :Welcome :wave123

philomycus
11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Very cool looking squirrels !! :Welcome

Duffo
11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks. Well yeah, I understand they are better left in the wild, and I wouldn't go to the extent of capturing it & the squirrel will probably die after a few days. But I will take the squirrel in if it is an orphan. But of course, as I mentioned earlier I will have to read up more on rearing them. :thumbsup Yeah and those squirrels are smaller compared to the US ones i think. Anyway I am a responsible owner and I will carry the responsibility no matter what it takes. I've also decided to skip the idea of rearing a squirrel because I'm settling for a prairie dog ;) But I find it really interesting to learn about squirrels so I'm gonna stick around here and find out more :D

pia
11-02-2007, 05:46 AM
isnt prairie dogs wild animals too??

will they be happy in captivity ar become good "pets"??

sorry, but dont understand why you want a wild one so bad....
not sure the animals agree.....?

Duffo
11-02-2007, 06:59 AM
They do make good pets. I read up on them. They are affectionate in nature esp. if you bond with them since birth. It's not that I want a wild one so badly, I just have a particular interest in them. Also, prairie dogs are still targeted by hunters and every pd someone brings home would actually be a pd saved. I don't see the harm in keeping a captive bred one if you can provide a good and healthy lifestyle for it.

SquirrelsinSingapore
07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello fellow native,
I don't have pet squirrels but i do feed them daily (i try to) at at park in my area. Theres a family of them, cute plaintians. So like you, i also know I cannot pet a squirrel, so maybe its good they can have their wild life, their freedom to roam, ample sun, and I can see/feed them as and when I liked. Disappointment yes, but it also isn't too bad a deal.

So you already have a pariedog?
I was considering taking a plaintian too unfortunately living in our high rise hdbs it is very unrecommended to keep squirrels, n its illlegal too i suppose. People with pet squirrels are complaining they chew on furnitures and cables, the only good vibes is that their pee n poos are tiny poddles compared to cats and dogs' one...

I should think parie dogs makes good subsitutes, yah?
How r your encounters with plaintian squirrels here at sg so far?
:wott

Hear from you soon!

Ronda
07-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Hello and welcome! You will find lots of great advice and really good stories of squirrels and their humans here. I am glad you are trying to learn all you can before you find yourself with a squirrel or prairie dog... knowledge is ALWAYS a good thing. Prairie dogs are native to where I live.. we have several colonies very close by, they are such social animals with very interesting habits. Do they have rescue/rehab organizations there? It would be a great way to get some hands on knowledge if you were able to volunteer.

Ultra Peepi
07-13-2010, 10:39 PM
:Welcome hi. this is a great place to learn before you leap. :)