PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get a squirl in florida?

Shinook
10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Hello i am trying to figure out where i can adopt a baby Grey squirrel at in Florida

Anyone have any suggestions?

TexanSquirrel
10-30-2007, 05:00 PM
:Welcome

As I'm sure several others on this forum will tell you, squirrels do not make the ideal pet. They are sweet and adorable as babies, but soon they grow up and want to be free. It is very rare for a squirrel to decided it wants to be a pet. The 'pet' squirrels you will read about here are the exception to the rule.

Flying squirrels, however, are a different story. They make great little buddies are are very cute. If you really want a squirrel, that's the way to go.

:Welcome again to TSB! We're glad to have you!

pia
10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
:Welcome (and what they sayd..)

more fun to give FREE squirrels nuts;)

Shinook
10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
The reason im asking is because the baby squirrel i found last year was what got me interested in them but i just couldn't afford it last year and now i can. Also how old do you have to be to get a rehabilitated licenses .

FLUFFYTAILNUT
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
The reason im asking is because the baby squirrel i found last year was what got me interested in them but i just couldn't afford it last year and now i can. Also how old do you have to be to get a rehabilitated licenses .

THEY demand alot of personal time....and alot of money..fresh vegi's..which are wicked $ now...
EVEN on the week ends when its time to be with your buddies..girl friends boy friends....FRIENDS...period....
and big cages...are very costly..over 200...smackaroo's...
You might be better off with a hampster..
Just a thought.......................:peace
:thumbsup :thumbsup
oh..and welcome to the SB!!!:Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

thundersquirrel
10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
hey there shinook! :Welcome

that's cool you found a baby last year- what happened to it?

to get a license, you usually need to be 18 years old. it's state law that dictates, however, so you may want to research florida legislation.

still, if you become a rehabber, you commit to raising, caring for, and releasing wildlife. so if you get a license, keep in mind that you wouldn't be able to keep any unless they were unreleasable.

however, i agree with the previous comment- you should call your local rehabbers and ask about unreleasable babies! these babies may have neurological problems, could be blind, partially paralyzed, or something along those lines, but TOTALLY healthy otherwise! it would be so kind of you to literally save their lives by taking them in.

Shinook
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
The Female pinkie I found last year i took to a rehaber, her brother was dead way before i found her.... Poor lil guy was eaten alive by ants :'( I Don't know how shes doing i might have to go back and visit the lady who took her in and ask. I will look into the unreleasable baby squirrels though :)

thundersquirrel
10-30-2007, 08:47 PM
thank you! :bowdown it would be so nice to know that you saved a baby from euthanasia...nothing is worse for a rehabber. :shakehead

Shinook
10-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I know how they feel i had to have my cat put to sleep cause he lost a fight to cancer and was going blind :'(

Shinook
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Fluffy, i have a garden fresh veggies all the time, also i can afford a cage also, I don't have a girlfriend so i pretty much have all the time in the world

thundersquirrel
10-31-2007, 01:14 PM
shinook, here are some central florida rehabbers and centers that you could call about finding a non-releasable baby.

since rehabbers prefer releasing, just be very kind and flexible with anyone you talk to. make sure they know you're hoping to save a squirrel, not steal one away. hehe. :thumbsup

Florida, Central region (Deltona)..... 407-324-0647
Laura Seckbach Finn, Fly By Night
Wildlife Species: bats (only)

Florida, Central region (Gainesville)..... 352-472-7626
Deborah Cottrell, West End Animal Hospital (Veterinarian)
petvet@westendanimal.com
Wildlife Species: insectivorous bats

Florida, Central region (Gainesville, all North FL)..... 352-371-4400 (24 hr helpline)
Leslie E. Straub (director), Florida Wildlife Care
fwc@afn.org
Wildlife Species: assisting with all native wildlife,
all species large and small
Comments: North Central Florida's largest wildlife center
covering 11 counties, handling all wildlife issues; conservation of
native wildlife and habitat through education, rehabilitation, and study

Florida, Central region (Longwood, Orlando region)..... 407-461-1056
Carol McCorkle (CVT), The Avian Reconditioning Center, Inc.
wildwoods2@aol.com
Wildlife Species: birds of prey
Comments: we accept raptors from other facilities and focus on reconditioning
birds after rehabilitation and training orphaned birds of prey to fly and hunt prior to release
back into the wild; also focus on wildlife education

Florida, Central region, Marion County (Ocala)..... 352-236-2121
Silver Springs Park, Wildlife Department/Vet Clinic

Florida, Central region (Ocklawaha)..... 352-288-6754 (24 hours)
Tish Hennesy, Foundation for Environmental Awareness (director)
eldon@floridafolks.com

Florida, Central region (Ocoee/Winter Garden/Geneva)..... 407-292-5232 (Nancy), 407-656-3709 or
407-570-7153 (Laurie), 407-349-2889 (Diane)
Nancy Michalko, Laurie Stogsdilll, Diane Mansen, EarthAngels Wildlife
Caracal@aol.com (Nancy)
MsBobcatt@hotmail.com (Laurie)
Wildlife Species: squirrels, raccoons

Florida, Central region (Okeechobee)..... 863-763-4630
Sue Arnold, Arnold's Wildlife Rehabilitation Center,Inc.
suarnold@strato.net
Wildlife Species: all species accepted

Florida, Central region, Orange County (Maitland)..... 407-644-0190
Dianna Flynt or Drew Bickford, CVT, Audubon of Florida Center for Birds of Prey
dflynt@audubon.org"
Wildlife Species: raptors only
Specialty: native raptor rehabilitation, care, management and cage design, especially Bald Eagle.

Florida, Central region, Orange County (Orlando)..... 407-568-5138
Debbie Helsel (Assistant Curator), Back To Nature Wildlife Refuge
info@btn-wildlife.org

Florida, Central region, Orange County (Orlando)..... 407-737-0015
Thomas Rudge, Tom's Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
trudge@cfl.rr.com
Wildlife Species: small wildlife, birds, squirrels, etc. (but can refer others)
Comments: Webcam at dove1.camarades.com/

Florida, Central region, Pasco County (Dade City)..... 352-518-9443
Mary Rich, Nature's Classroom
bethy1965@aol.com
Wildlife Species: native animals
Specialties/Knowledge: Mammals and birds of prey
Comments: I am also a zookeeper at the educational facility above

Florida, Central region (Sebring)..... 863-385-2770
David & Karen Wrede, Wrede's Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, Inc.
Wildlife Species: raising of baby deer

Florida, Central region (Webster)..... 352-793-3094
La Guardar Inc. Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center
JungleJudi@aol.com (Judi Carter)
Comments: fax 352-793-8792

Shinook
10-31-2007, 09:01 PM
any suggestions on how to make your parents care enough to let you get a squirrel, I mean im 17 and i take care of my moms damn guinea pigs(meaning she don't do crap and i do it all....).?

TexanSquirrel
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
aww Come on, piggies are fun! And adorable!

Shinook
11-01-2007, 09:07 AM
well unfortunately my moms a Bi#$# and cute dont work on her :/

her guinea pigs cause major flys >.>

anneke
11-01-2007, 09:32 AM
any suggestions on how to make your parents care enough to let you get a squirrel, I mean im 17 and i take care of my moms damn guinea pigs(meaning she don't do crap and i do it all....).?

So you have experience with pet care and dealing with needing to take care of them daily, even when you don't really feel like it- that's a good thing.

When you go on a job or college interview, it's helpful to think on what the interviewer is likely to ask and have answers prepared. In that spirit, you have 2 hurdles to clear. Mom and the Rehabber.

Now, if you are you going to moving out soon, then the question is can you find an that allows pets.

If you are going to be staying at home, then we move to plan B and the questions that your mom might have. For example, do you have a job that allows you to take care of a pet of your own without funds from your mom? From what I have gathered reading alot of threads here, squirrels need a very large cage and a squirrel proof room where they can stretch their legs- would your room allow for a cage and squirrel proofing? What happens if it gets sick and needs to see a vet?

When I brought in the darling Lilly, I didn't know the lifespan of a chippie. I have seen ranges of 2-8 yrs. So, I had to think on how I would be managing her over a considerable period of time..Squirrels live as long as 20 yrs in captivity (or so I have read and I hope someone will correct me if this is incorrect). This means you have to think long and hard about what that would be like for you- to have responsibility for a wild thing till you were 37-

If I was a rehabber, some of the questions I might have for you...What other pets have you had? Where are they now? Why a squirrel and not a (fill in the blank alternate pet)? Tell me about the care and feeding of a squirrel? Where will you be living over the next 5 yrs (and if at home, I would want to clear the squirrel coming your way with your mom- it's her house ). Would you be willing to come help and learn more about the day to day care/feeding?

Others might have some other kinds of questions for you to anticipate.

thundersquirrel
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM
when i was twelve, i wanted a rat. i begged my parents for a while. finally i wrote a persuasive essay on why i should have a rat. they finally gave in.

Shinook
11-01-2007, 11:52 AM
im thinking about just doing and not telling cause my mom isn't that mean,..

thundersquirrel
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
woah woah, i don't like this idea. if mom turns out to say HELL NO, then where will that squirrel that you've already committed to end up?

really, at least, you should use that as a VERY last resort.

Shinook
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Im about to tell my mom to f^#@ off and that i will do as i please....

TexanSquirrel
11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
That's only going to put your mom on the defensive and make her more likely to refuse you....

Shinook
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
lol yes but negoations are not really working >.>

scoobysnack
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
WOWZA... I have a child your age and ummm WOW... can't imagine her ever tellin me to go do that!

Doesn't sound like you are in the best situation to take on something as demanding as a squirrel. In a few more years you'll be out on your own and you can definitely do as you please.

I'd suggest though, maybe thinking about the suggestion you plan to make to your mother, that is... if you are at all dependent upon her for food, shelter or other conveniences. I know if my little darlin ever said that to me, she'd be wondering where her next meal was coming from.:rotfl

Shinook
11-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a part time job i make 10.50 an hour. I just cant move out until after my surgery and after im 18

scoobysnack
11-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I have a part time job i make 10.50 an hour. I just cant move out until after my surgery and after im 18

What kind of surgery?

Shinook
11-01-2007, 01:58 PM
surgery on my chest i have pectus excavatum :/

scoobysnack
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
You may want to wait until after you've recovered.

Scooby is my first squirrel. My dog brought her to me as a pinkie. I have to tell ya... our world kind revolves around her to a large degree.

I'm planning our first vacation in many years for NEXT October and I'm already prepping my family for her care. This requires keeping them in contact with her so she accepts them and my daughter who will be 18 + by then to stay here and give her lots of attention.

I've told my child she can do that or come to KY with us for a week long carriage driving event. I know which she'll choose LOL

It's a long long term committment. These little ones can live a long time.

Also.. as far as what kind of pets they make. You kinda play their games. They don't really conform to most people's ideas of "fun". I find Scooby hilarious and a joy. But if I wanted something to snuggle and carry around with me I'd have to look for another critter. SHe wants to run and play and eat and hide stuff then run and play some more. When she decides it's bedtime she abandons me and heads for her comfy nest.

Just some stuff to keep in mind.

Prayers for your surgery and a quick full recovery!

anneke
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Does that approach usually work for you?

thundersquirrel
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
i'm sorry you relationship with your mom isn't great. :(

i'm thinking the same as others, though- you may want to wait to get a squirrel. between surgery, an angry mother, and not having your own place, it doesn't sound like the best environment.

that doesn't mean, though, that things won't change- if you can get better, move out, and have plenty of time and room for a long-term (and unfortunately, expensive) commitment, then it'd be great to get back into it.

as a rehabber, we ALWAYS have squirrels around, and my mother and i usually spend at least three hours of work on them daily. buying food, preparing it, cleaning the cage(s), handfeeding several times a day (if they're young or impaired), washing bedding, playing (at least half an hour if it's a lone squirrel), and keeping an eye on. that's just routine- sometimes they need veterinary care or extra help with something.

so it's a big decision, but we're here to help you figure stuff out. :thumbsup

philomycus
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Yes go tell her that b/c you are obviously much smarter than she at your incredibly wise age.

I really don't like where you're taking this thread. Please show some maturity on this board. Using that kind of attitude on this board no one will help you.

Shinook
11-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Obviously u don't understand my mom only cares about herself,..... which isn't a good thing so don't barge in here thinking you know why u wanna tell her to F^&% off when u don't know half of it..........

That was a response to philomycus......

anneke
11-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Obviously u don't understand my mom only cares about herself,..... which isn't a good thing so don't barge in here thinking you know why u wanna tell her to F^&% off when u don't know half of it..........

Still curious...this approach works for you?

Shinook
11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Sometimes it does.

anneke
11-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Sometimes it does.

rofl! Well, if it works sometime, I can see why you would continue to use it.

So, why do you want a squirrel of all the furry critters out there?

Shinook
11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
There different and a bit more of a challenge to take care of and there so cute XD

TexanSquirrel
11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Good luck with the surgery. You should definately wait until after your surgery because you won't be able to take care of a squirrel right after it...

anneke
11-01-2007, 08:44 PM
There different and a bit more of a challenge to take care of and there so cute XD

They are all that and more. Have you thought about talking with some local rehabbers and apprenticing? In my state that's the route to getting a license. Don't know what the process is in your state.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Oooooh...kay..on that note...have a great night....eekkk...
I hope your surgery goes well...
:peace
And are able to find what you are looking for...Shinook..:osnap :peace :peace

Rhapsody
11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Every time I read the Title to this thread I think.......... "Stand Under a TREE"

:dono - it worked for ME - :dono

thundersquirrel
11-02-2007, 11:34 PM
haha good point rhapsody!

or walk around the woods after a hurricane. although a lot of those babies should go back to mom.

Rhapsody
11-02-2007, 11:43 PM
or walk around the woods after a hurricane. although a lot of those babies should go back to mom.

You know I NEVER thought about that until you said it....... and I live in Florida right by the woods.
I think I will have to take a walk thru the woods this year after any hurricane or severe thunder storm.

:( "My Heart is SAD thinking about all the Lost Babies after a Storm" :(

Any helpful ideals as what to do if I come upon some babies and there are nest near by? - other than keep babies warm and wait to see if mom returns?

Orlanth
11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Shinook, if I wanted a pet rodent I would need look no further than a rat. They are very intelligent, friendly, dont require much looking after and can surprise you with what they can do.
Its because the idea of a rat is so mundane people dont see what excellent pets ratties make. Squirrels are more dynamic, but that is not a good thing, ratties are more interactive.

If you do get rats make sure it a same sex pair, rats should never be alone. Also get them from a rescue or owner, never from a pet shop.

Shinook
11-03-2007, 12:55 PM
the one i found last year was after a hurricane, also there was a squirrel near the babie that fell victim to a car :/

thundersquirrel
11-04-2007, 01:02 AM
well, last year can't be changed, and it sounds like you did the right thing. but if that happens again, it is a nice idea to do the following.

get a shoebox of some kind and a heater you can put outside. put the babies in the box with the heat and leave the area alone- it's best if you can watch, but only from a distance. leave the box there for a few hours or until dark, and see if mom comes.

if a baby is injured/emaciated/following you around, it's likely mom is dead and you don't have to deal with the mom-check. but if mom is alive, she will frantically search the area for her babies, and will retrieve them even if they smell like humans. momma squirrels LOVE their babies. :Love_Icon

Shinook
11-04-2007, 02:45 AM
i read about that unlike birds who are like yuck humans your on your own lol XD

thundersquirrel
11-04-2007, 09:41 AM
yeah, birds are bad when it comes to that. also, touching them removes the natural oil on their wings that keeps them dry. just a fun fact. :)

anneke
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
yeah, birds are bad when it comes to that. also, touching them removes the natural oil on their wings that keeps them dry. just a fun fact. :)

I'm going to have to do some checking now, because I thought this was a myth. I know with parrots raised in captivity, there are some breeders who do co-parenting- the parents accept it and their babies back who they continue to feed.

anneke
11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
i read about that unlike birds who are like yuck humans your on your own lol XD

What did you think about the rat idea?

It's true that they are wicked smart and can be very affectionate, too. They can travel around with you in a pocket, etc.

Shinook
11-04-2007, 09:53 PM
nah that reminds me of what my mom feeds her snake >.>

anneke
11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
nah that reminds me of what my mom feeds her snake >.>

<gulp> okay, that would be a problem.

Rats, mice, gerbils and hamsters all off the option list~

What other animals are in the house, btw?

Shinook
11-04-2007, 11:11 PM
a bearded dragon and guinea pigs......

anneke
11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
a bearded dragon and guinea pigs......

and the snake?

Frankly, I don't see most people just handing a animal they have rescued over to an unknown entity- What do you think about apprenticing with a local rehabber?

Shinook
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I could look around and see if a rehaber would allow that.

macytree
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
What did you think about the rat idea?

It's true that they are wicked smart and can be very affectionate, too. They can travel around with you in a pocket, etc.

I know you're not talking to me but I saw the coolest hairless rats at the pet store the other day. I am tempted to get one when we release hunny, but I promised my hubby i wouldn't bring home anymore pets. They were so adorable and sweet though.