PDA

View Full Version : pox help

Wendi
10-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I got my first pox baby (about 6 weeks old) this summer, I didn't know what it was at first, I went to 2 vets, they had no idea, not until he had more of them was I able to i.d. it, by this time he had been in a cage with his step sister for already 10 days, so they were attached to each other already I tried keeping them seperate, but that was horrible , they cried and it broke my heart, so I kept them together , she didn't come down with the pox intil 5 weeks being together, a damn mosquito got in there?? I don't know? , but her case wasn't as bad and it cleared up so much quicker than his(because she was older). they are both doing great now, his are taking longer to go away, but he's definitly out of the woods, here's what I did,
As soon as Pox is identified, try boosting the babies immunity with a natural herb mix called Host Defense, 2 to 4 drops , 2X a day depending on age, I also add a capsule(opened) of Echinasia to there formula, liquid benedryl at night 2 to 4 drops also, to help them sleep and stop scratching off scabs, Amoxicillin, when pox start scabbing and pussing,for secondary infections. Betadine baths everyday when possible or with a q-tip or cotton ball. Clean bedding daily. It seems like a lot of work, but it's worth it! Good luck.

TexanSquirrel
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Sounds like you and Mars need to get together!

ConkerChild
10-30-2007, 02:20 PM
They caught squirrel pox? I've heard about it and it sounds really bad, if you catch it and start treating it early does it leave any permanant damage?

pamela lee
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Mommy2kc's Fox squirrels had squirrel pox. Their story is in the nursery under Cracker & Oliver. They are doing wonderful now and look great.