PDA

View Full Version : Refusing formula/9 wks?

AvianWondersTLC
10-26-2007, 10:31 AM
If their eyes open around 5 weeks then that makes him nine weeks old. Yesterday he refused more than 6 cc's of formula all day long. Thus far today either my pleading worked or he just smelled it so long that he ate 9 cc's.
He's eating solid foods and he's cracking nuts beautifully on his own as well. Obviously, this is how we're going to start the weaning process. How on earth can I be sure that he's getting enough food in the beginning if he won't let me feed him? Going from 20+ cc's of formula at a time down to a few nuts, a cheerio or a grape?! How much solid food does it take to keep one of these guys full?

4skwerlz
10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
The weaning is starting, but it's better if he continues to take formula twice a day for a few more weeks. Make sure the formula is very warm. Also try adding some yogurt or baby rice cereal to the formula.

Baby's first food should be Monkey Biscuit or Rodent Block. It's very important that they learn to like these, so they must be introduced early. First foods should be easy to eat: no peels, strings, or shells.

Some other good first foods:
Yogurt
Cheerios
Grapes (peeled and cut in half)
Watermelon cubes
Apple (peeled)
Carrot
Greens
Raisins
Sweet potatoes
Mushrooms
Wheat bread soaked in formula

AvianWondersTLC
10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Okay..... got the full spectrum bulb.. he's had that for weeks AND 1/2 of his enclosure is slid over in front of a 36"x87" window every day. He looks so funny stretched out to "tan" himself in the sun.
Foods he's eating.....
cheerio's
broccoli
cucumber
apple
grapes
pumpkin seeds
pistachio's in the shell
almonds in the shell
sunflower seeds
squash
oranges
pecans from the tree where he'll live
acorns
-Contents of our Cockatoo's food-(pellet/seed/nut& fruit mix....there's ALL kinds of stuff in that he's been eating. He's had foods in his cage for about ten days. He stopped playing with it and sucking on it and started eating it about five, six days ago.

Water is a problem. He just doesn't seem interested in it. I've put in for him a drip bottle and a bowl of water AND I've tried to give him water from the syringe. Two drops is about all I can get in him and he jumps, shakes his head and rubs his face with his hands. I've tried all three sources with water warmed to formula temp as well..no deal.

Mars
10-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Try adding a few drops or juice to sweeten his water. Not flavor it just enough to sweeten it. Is it city water? the smell of the chemicals maybe the problem. Try bottled spring water. :)

Buddy'sMom
10-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Just a couple of thoughts from our experience (with one squirrel):

DON'T give up on the formula!! He may be totally balky -- then suddenly suck down 10 or 20 cc. No way to predict. I know you will get frustrated when he clamps his mouth shut and totally refuses -- but then he will suddenly "love" it again. Then not. :shakehead

Same with the solids -- one day they are yummy and the next day beneath even a sniff. Just keep offering them. When he gets hungry, he will eat.

Some of them seem to go for the water right away and some don't. If he is taking any formula, and also if he is eating juicy fruits, veggies, he might not need any water yet. As near as we could tell, Buddy did not drink a single drop of water until he went outside. Then, suddenly, he loved to take nice long drinks of water.

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

thundersquirrel
10-26-2007, 12:05 PM
have you tried covering his head?

he's at the age when he can really see and analyze things. it can be quite distracting. it's possible he's too worried about his surroundings to eat.

so try making a little "cave" for him out of a towel, and put it on your lap. while he's in the "cave", he won't be as distracted and he might be more willing to eat.

hope that helps. :)

LilPaige
10-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey:wave123 I had an early weaner(sounds funny, I know) too. He started refusing at about nine weeks like yours. I have to say though offer it to him everyday at least a couple times a day. When he goes several days and still refuses, that's when you know he's over it. Sometimes Simon would refuse and sometimes he would eat at least 8 cc. To me having him take that little bit was like winning one of our many food battles. I've read on this board fall babies seem to wean early, so he'll be okay.

Sciurus1
10-28-2007, 12:56 AM
HI, I have seen pictures of a squirrel that was given salted pistachio nuts in the shell, and it caused his hair to fall out, and made him very sick. Also, too many sunflower seeds can negatively impact the liver and shorten the life of a squirrel. My girl when she was young couldn't handle them at all, choked on the shells so badly, I stop giving them to her. Now I am glad I did, for then I didnt' know they could effect the liver. She is now 11 , and still doing well. The rest of the list looks pretty good! Try to introduce more greens while he is young, for many have high calcium levels. Fresh Organic blueberries are good too for calcium, no frozen though, it can make him sick. Other fruits are good, but in the wild not as much available. There is also a concern if they get to like the local fruit trees that your neighbors will not get to like them for eating them. If you have the only one, well then that will work out well if released. if not well most fruits and berries are good to give a squirrel to eat, but be balanced, not too many, just one small piece a day would likely be enough. Check out one of the lists the rehabbers post on this site for a more complete list of good food for squirrels. What they are given to eat when they are young and get used to, they are more likely to continue to accept when they are adults. Sounds like you are doing a really good job! Best wishes, Sciurus1

4skwerlz
10-28-2007, 08:36 AM
The sunflower seeds are very unhealthy--they are very high in phosphorus and cause calcium loss. Nutwise, you are better off with almonds and pecans.

Here's the dietary list in case you haven't seen it:

Basic Diet for Pet Squirrels (Revised 10/7/07)
-Rodent block, monkey biscuit, or another complete rodent chow should be the basis of the diet (Harlan Teklad 8640, Mazuri, and LabDiet 5001 are three good ones.)
-A hard boiled egg (with shell) provides protein, calcium, PLUS one of the very few dietary sources of Vitamin D.
-A slice of orange or other citrus will aid calcium absorption.
-Natural foods: acorns, magnolia cones, pine cones, branch tips, mushrooms and fungi, dandelion greens can be gathered and given as part of the diet.
-Antlers, tree branches, and cuttlebones provide vitamins, minerals, and keep teeth from overgrowing. All squirrels need to gnaw!
-Natural sunlight or a full-spectrum light (at least 30 min/day) is essential for calcium absorption to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease, which can be fatal.

In addition to the items listed above, feed a variety of foods listed below—Don’t feed too much of any one food

Healthiest Foods (high-calc/low-phos)—Try to include at least 1 or 2 of these foods in your squirrel’s daily diet.
collard greens, mustard spinach, papaya, turnip greens, tofu (w/calcium sulfate or Nigiri), fresh parsley, beet greens, dandelion greens, Chinese cabbage (bok choy), looseleaf lettuce, figs (fresh or dried), kale, valencia oranges, chicory

Other Healthy Foods—Nutritious but not as high in calcium.
yogurt (low-fat, plain or fruit flavored), mushrooms (very high in Vitamin D), green cabbage, watercress, endive, grapes (cut in half), celery, green beans, red cabbage, crabapple, radish, swiss chard, pear, persimmons (native), apple with skin, pineapple, winter squash, watermelon, honeydew melon

Healthy Treats
avocado, cucumber, cherry, romaine lettuce, strawberry, broccoli, apricot, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, cantaloupe, summer squash, seedless raisins, pumpkin, zucchini, alfalfa sprouts, peach, asparagus, banana, sweet potatoes

Nuts—One or two per day maximum, perferably in the shell.
Ripe brown acorns*, whole roasted pumpkin seeds, and almonds are the best nuts calcium-wise. Hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, English walnuts, pecans, pistachios, and peanuts are next. Avoid cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed kernals, and pine nuts! They are very high in phosphorus and will cause calcium loss.

Note: Beans, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and spinach contain oxalates and phytates, which decrease the calcium absorption from these foods. Although dairy foods are high in calcium, because of their phosphorus levels they are only moderate calcium sources.

*Can be gathered green; they will ripen inside.