PDA

View Full Version : Yes - Cheese is Good

Rhapsody
10-20-2007, 01:30 PM
I have read a few threads about squirrel owners not knowing that CHEESE can be given to their squirrel's as a TREAT, therefore, I thought I would bring this thread to every ones attention - as I do not know this either. :dono

Cheese is Good - Milk (by its self) is Bad

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7174

thundersquirrel
10-20-2007, 02:01 PM
what do you mean, milk by itself? cow's milk is ALWAYS bad, unless it's heavy whipping cream.

and cheese- even though it can be used as the occasional treat, i don't plan on giving it to my squirrels. it doesn't seem like a nutritionally sound or natural kind of treat.

i'm sorry if this seems like a downer, but i don't want a bunch of people giving cubes of cheese or milk-added formula to their babies everyday. :dono

Rhapsody
10-20-2007, 03:19 PM
what do you mean, milk by itself? cow's milk is ALWAYS bad, unless it's heavy whipping cream.

i'm sorry if this seems like a downer, but i don't want a bunch of people giving cubes of cheese or milk-added formula to their babies everyday. :dono

Milk by its self means just what it states - Straight MILK...... and not milk in cheese.

And - NO... I too would not want people to give cheese to their pet squirrel every day, that is why I said "As a TREAT" for treats are not given every day, but occasionally.

4skwerlz
10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Cheese is a good calcium source, also rich in protein, fat, Vit A, and Vit D (if it's made from fortified milk). Since cheese is, in effect, partially "predigested" it is easier on the tummy than plain milk. People with lactose intolerance can often eat cheese with no problem.

Sounds like a very healthy snack to me. Maybe someone else can weigh in though. I would stick to white cheese to avoid the artificial orange coloring.

Mountain Mama
10-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Isn't cheese concentrated milk?

4skwerlz
10-20-2007, 05:53 PM

It is concentrated in a sense. The milk solids are used, leaving behind much of the water. That's why it's higher in protein and fat than plain milk.

Rhapsody
10-20-2007, 09:49 PM

From the link I posted above.......

Most real cheeses have a good calcium-phosphorus ratio. Also, since the lactose is "predigested" to a certain extent, they are more digestible than, say, milk.
Like yogurt, cheese would seem on the face of it, to be a healthy treat for squirrels.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
10-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a good snack TREAT..Ill give Bean..some see how his highness likes it..lol..Good idea Rhap!:thumbsup

Abi
10-26-2007, 06:15 AM
I've actually made cheese a couple of times - the process itself isn't too complicated... you just need to have the right conditions for the cheese to mature... and of course, you can use a wide variety of animal milks to make your own cheese... plus either renin (which is the by-product from a sheeps stomach) or freshly squeezed lemon juice (strained to remove all the bits = paper coffee filters are superb for this purpose :D) which is the key ingredient in cheese making.. :)

The first time I made cheese, I used a full pint of pasteurised milk and ended up with just enough cheese to put on a piece of toast...... ;)

Of course, during the process, you can add extra things to make it more nutritional... for a really good cheese - Guinness and Cheddar is just *woooow!* :D

Just unsure of what to do with the whey.... :)

And for the lactose intolerant, soy milk cheese made with lemon juice - ideal! :D

FLUFFYTAILNUT
10-26-2007, 06:51 AM
I've actually made cheese a couple of times - the process itself isn't too complicated... you just need to have the right conditions for the cheese to mature... and of course, you can use a wide variety of animal milks to make your own cheese... plus either renin (which is the by-product from a sheeps stomach) or freshly squeezed lemon juice (strained to remove all the bits = paper coffee filters are superb for this purpose :D) which is the key ingredient in cheese making.. :)

The first time I made cheese, I used a full pint of pasteurised milk and ended up with just enough cheese to put on a piece of toast...... ;)

Of course, during the process, you can add extra things to make it more nutritional... for a really good cheese - Guinness and Cheddar is just *woooow!* :D

Just unsure of what to do with the whey.... :)

And for the lactose intolerant, soy milk cheese made with lemon juice - ideal! :D
:::::Oh my word:::wow...thats awesome..I dont think id waste the effort to make CHEESE....WITH PuBLIX 2 minutes from my house..lol
I bet it is good...
I gave bean some provalone...cted like I gave him a turd..lol...like yeah right..
I aint eaten THAT...
Hee, hee..silly....spoiled squirrel!!!
:peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace :peace

Rhapsody
10-26-2007, 06:59 PM
We were having PIZZA for dinner tonight and Max ate a piece of the crust with cheese on it - and he LOVED IT!!