PDA

View Full Version : Injured baby flyer

ConkerChild
10-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi there!
Conkers mom again :) I was brought two more baby flyers last night. One is in good shape and the other looks like he was caught by a cat. I have him on esbilac alternating with pedialite. He was a little dehydrated. He has a broken leg and a few puncture wounds. I have a great vet but won't be able to get him in until Monday. I have him 1/2 on 1/2 off a heating pad but was wondering if you have any suggestions to keep him more comfortable. Thanks for your help! You are such a blessing!!

ConkerChild
10-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I can make some calls. Is one antiobiotic better than another for cat bites?

jules
10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
REHABBERS HELP!!!.....Can ConkerChild use Cefa- drops, if they can not get ahold of a vet today??? :dono They have them on hand. I know cat bites are treated with Baytril, but I don't know what Cefa drops are. :dono

I got some info on cefa-drops:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/cefadroxil-cefa-tabs-and-cefa-drops/page1.aspx

Don't know too much about them myself!:dono
Looks as though it wouldn't hurt to use, especially in the circumstances!

ConkerChild
10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm not having to much success with phone calls so I will go ahead and try these drops. They were originally subscribed for one of our gray babies that had an abscess. Thanks!! I'll keep you posted :)

jules
10-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Looks as though it should do the trick!:thumbsup

Cefa-Drops are indicated for the treatment of skin and soft tissue infections. Broad spectrum antibiotic. Cefa drops are used in both dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including skin infections, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia, and bladder infections.

Jules. :Love_Icon

4skwerlz
10-20-2007, 10:57 AM
This is from the Medication Chart for Rats:

CEFADROXIL
BRAND: CEFA-DROPS
FORT DODGE
10mg/lb BID, PO (twice a day, by mouth)
.20cc/lb for 10 to 30 days
Bactericidal, broad-spectrum antibiotic. Great to prevent infection after surgery or injury, for urinary tract infections, or secondary infections. Works well in combination with Gentocin. Pineapple-Orange flavored — most rats love it. Relatively inexpensive. Prescription needed.

ConkerChild
10-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all your help!! He's sleeping in his basket now :)

darrakm
10-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Im going to PM you the contact information for someone in FL who has saved flyers that really no one would have thought would make it. I think he uses TriMethSulfa. Please contact him for info and advise.