PDA

View Full Version : Orange diarrhea?

MsOakley
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
I posted a benebac question a few days ago about my poor Archie, who developed diarrhea when I started him on solid foods. I cut out sweet potato as someone said it can be a problem. Could it be the carrots? It's gotten worse and is now mushy, not formed, and orange. I gave him about 1cc of benebac this am. He's about 200 grams. Should I repeat a dose tonight? Usually diarrhea occurs more in the younger ones. He's 8 weeks. Any advice?

Mars
10-17-2007, 09:19 PM
okay time to take a step back. Think as with a human child that's not feeling well and let's go back to a bland diet. I would remove all but the rodent block for now and put baby just on formula. I would include organic live cultured yogurt in the formula for probiotics. Benebac is an excellent product when it leaves the factory but depending of shipping, storage and time spent on the shelf it can end up being pretty much worth less by time you buy it. If you wish to add an additional probiotic beyond the yogurt I would head for the health food store's refrig section and look for a Natren product call Mega dolphilus or ask the clerk what they recommend. If this doesn't clean up his stool in about 48 hours it's time to back off to pedilyte to flush his system and start over bring him back up on fromula slowly. Babies can dehydrate quickly with diarhea so I would suggest filling his water bottle with pedilyte for now. You can also add bioplasma to your formula twice a day. When things get back to normal I would suggest introducing new foods slowly - one at a time and waiting a day or two before offering something else new. This way you can keep track of what maybe causing the problem. I do not offer fresh fruits to weaning babies as they seem to be most likely to cause problems. I start with dried fruits. Banana chips are well liked so are dried cranberries.

Hope this helps :)

hazel
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Once a day dosing is fine. You can also cut back on the amount you're giving, I think. I use Probiocin which is a veterinary version of Benebac. It suggests giving 3/4cc to a 10 pound animal. I usually give 1/5cc to a squirrel. You should start seeing improvement each day now. I'd go back to just Esbilac and after a couple of days begin reintroducing solid foods, but only give one new solid food per day so that if he has a sensitivity to something you'll know what it is.

MsOakley
10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the guidance. I meant to post this in non life threatening but I goofed. I don't think it's severe enough yet to qualify for this category. Thank goodness!

MsOakley
10-19-2007, 10:47 PM
It seems like Archie's system can't handle orange vegies. Once I cut out carrots and sweet potatoes his diarrhea subsided. Go figure?

hazel
10-19-2007, 11:03 PM
:thumbsup Glad he's better!
When he's 100%, try reintroducing the orange veggies one at a time. I'm sure he'll be able to have at least some of them.