PDA

View Full Version : Release.....in late NOVEMBER?

AvianWondersTLC
10-16-2007, 12:04 PM
PeeWee is about eight weeks old. I've been so caught up in keeping him alive and healthy that it just occured to me yesterday when he will likely be ready for release. That's pretty d*mn intimidating. He's going to have to learn to find food and survive on his own in the dead of winter at a time when food is harder to come by. I'm quite concerned about that. I have a HUGE enclosure in the back yard. I intended to put him there once he's old enough to first be introduced to the outside. No, I swear..I am not picking it apart now trying to find excuses to keep him. I can't keep him. I have no right to keep him unless he's handicapped in some way and I know that. But if I put him in the enclosure until...say....February or March, will that screw up his ability to be released or do I simply have to release him when he 'comes of age' and accept it, period?

island rehabber
10-16-2007, 12:16 PM
PeeWee is about eight weeks old. I've been so caught up in keeping him alive and healthy that it just occured to me yesterday when he will likely be ready for release. That's pretty d*mn intimidating. He's going to have to learn to find food and survive on his own in the dead of winter at a time when food is harder to come by. I'm quite concerned about that. I have a HUGE enclosure in the back yard. I intended to put him there once he's old enough to first be introduced to the outside. No, I swear..I am not picking it apart now trying to find excuses to keep him. I can't keep him. I have no right to keep him unless he's handicapped in some way and I know that. But if I put him in the enclosure until...say....February or March, will that screw up his ability to be released or do I simply have to release him when he 'comes of age' and accept it, period?

I have released many squirrels in early-to-mid November, up here in New York state and they do fine because I see them months later. I don't see why in South Carolina PeeWee could not be released in November. So long as there are some green leaves left (especially maple leaves, and they are usually the last to fall) so they can make a nest, they'll be fine. See how he does out in your big enclosure, then let him come and go as he pleases for a few days. He will make the choice. :)

thundersquirrel
10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
yeah, you definitely want to do a soft release- meaning you give him a safe warm home that he can come back to through the winter. you also could give him food and such to make sure he's alright.

AvianWondersTLC
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow, you're releasing in late November in Upstate NY..... don't I feel stupid now!! Compared to that, we don't HAVE winter!

island rehabber
10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow, you're releasing in late November in Upstate NY..... don't I feel stupid now!! Compared to that, we don't HAVE winter!

Well, slight correction AvianWonders: I'm releasing in mid-November in DOWNstate New York, which has a maritime climate which is much warmer than say, Albany or Buffalo! I don't think Gabe, my northern neighbor, would release so late. :)

AvianWondersTLC
10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, slight correction AvianWonders: I'm releasing in mid-November in DOWNstate New York, which has a maritime climate which is much warmer than say, Albany or Buffalo! I don't think Gabe, my northern neighbor, would release so late. :)
Yeah IR.....but slight correction and all!!! :poke I've still got the a/c running in the house. It was 87 degrees today! I finally resigned myself to go ahead and part with those three boxes of sweaters I haven't seen since I moved here. Maybe it's not as cold at 'upstate' New York... but it's......cold up there woman!!!!! You know yourself, winter ABOVE the New Jersey line is far different than below it. I'd probably die from the cold if I lived up there. You're a lot tougher than I am.