PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Wants to be Released

sleepless
10-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi All! First of all, you guys have been of so much help to during my 'Squirrel time of need' -- I can't thank you enough.

Ozzy has always been very precocious -- he was peeing on his own by 5 weeks, pooping by 6, and at 8 weeks he REFUSED to drink formula anymore -- wouldn't allow it near his mouth. (Thankfully he is eating and drinking fine)

We have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a pig at our house, so the only time he has been out of his cage is during feeding (the other animals are just waaaay to interested in him when he's out not to mention I don't want him to get comfortable around them), and now that he isn't drinking formula anymore he is pretty much staying in his cage (the cage is 4 feet high, 3 feet wide, and 2 feet deep with lots of shelves and tunnels). (I have tried to hold him a few times and he kind of allows it but is incredibly skittish and I'm too afraid he'll take off and get lost.) However, I have been dragging his cage outside every day so he can get some sunlight and get used to outside noises.

Today he is roughly 9 weeks and I feel I need to start getting him ready to be let go (when I say this I don't mean I plan to leave his cage door open today after the going away party. I just know there are steps I need to take to make sure he is self-sufficient and want to start implementing them so he'll have a better chance of survival in the wild).

Currently, his nest is a cardboard box on one of the top shelves of the cage and I've put 2 fleece blankets in there -- but I'm thinking that isn't something he can build himself in the wild so do I need to remove the blankets and put more natural items in his cage so he can build one himself? If so, what items should I put in there?

And should I stop chopping up veggies for him and buy squirrel food and pour it on the floor of the cage so he can get used to foraging?

Anything else you guys can think of to help me with this?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Mars
10-14-2007, 02:48 PM
First How far north are you? It's getting very late in the season to be thinking about releasing now. :)

sleepless
10-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm so glad you brought that up because its one of my concerns but forgot to mention it in the post.

I live in Eugene, Oregon and the past few days it has been sunny and beautiful - about 60 degrees. Our winters aren't that harsh and we have a few more months of mild weather with the chance for lots of rain.

Since we don't have any shelter outside (no patio cover) I've only been dragging Ozzy's cage out during the sunny times. I should also let you know we live in a neighborhood full of squirrels, cats, dogs and kids and have a HUGE backyard.

I was thinking when he was ready to be released I was thinking of locking all of our animals in the house, dragging Ozzy's cage into the backyard (because of our dogs the other neighborhood cats don't come in to our backyard) and leaving his cage door open so he can move at his own pace -- does this sound good?

And please know the only reason why I'm thinking of doing all this so soon is because it has become very clear to me that while some squirrels can become pets, Ozzy is all wild and it hurts me to see him all alone in a cage day after day. However, I want to make sure he has the skills he needs to survive out there -- which is why I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Mars
10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
THey need fresh green leaves for building nests and time to store food for the winter. And they need time to establish a territory before they can do either. I would think about wintering. We can help you figure out how to do this. Or help you find a rehabber who is wintering in your area. It can be done either inside or in a well protected and shelter cage outside.

sleepless
10-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Darn it -- I didn't even think of that. How long does that process usually take?

And if I am going to be wintering him I'd rather he not be alone. If there are any other rehabers wintering in my area would it be possible to put the squirrels together in the same cage?

Is it normal for a squirrel to be born as late as Ozzy was?

Mars
10-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Darn it -- I didn't even think of that. How long does that process usually take?

And if I am going to be wintering him I'd rather he not be alone. If there are any other rehabers wintering in my area would it be possible to put the squirrels together in the same cage?

Is it normal for a squirrel to be born as late as Ozzy was?

If your leaves are changing and starting to fall, it getting way to late to release. I just sent 7 late babies to winter with another rehabber as she has a larger cage available than I do. So it's not odd at all. Most late babies winter in with their mothers.

It's easier to put babies together while they are still on formula but not impossible later. The cage needs be large enough not to be crowded and there most be enough warm nest boxes to go around and plenty of food and water stations.

Release timing - babies go out into the release cage for about a week or so to aclimate to being outside. When they are comfortable and fully established within the cage I open the release door (small 4"x4" door near the top) and they are allowed to come and go as they need to. It can be several weeks in the spring before they move out and are on their own. I support feed until they disperse on their own. In the fall I make arrangemnts to winter and release after the leaves are unfolding in the spring. :)

4skwerlz
10-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I believe Eugene, Oregon, is climate zone 8a, which is the same as Dallas, Texas, so would cold temps still be a factor? Also, couldn't Sleepless build Ozzy a nice wooden nestbox and fill it with dried grass and leaves? One more thing, I believe the predominant trees there would be evergreens. If all this is true, would that change anything, Mars?

Oh, also, Sleepless, yes in a mild climate squirrels can be born anytime of the year.

Mars
10-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I believe Eugene, Oregon, is climate zone 8a, which is the same as Dallas, Texas, so would cold temps still be a factor? Also, couldn't Sleepless build Ozzy a nice wooden nestbox and fill it with dried grass and leaves? One more thing, I believe the predominant trees there would be evergreens. If all this is true, would that change anything, Mars?

Oh, also, Sleepless, yes in a mild climate squirrels can be born anytime of the year.

The temps are not really the main factor. It's the food supply and shelter. Hanging a nest box may invite another stronger squirrel to move in as with poor Joey.