PDA

View Full Version : Indoor/Outdoor Squirrel

brkamb
10-13-2007, 07:06 PM
9/26 I rescued a 5 week (so “sayeth” the vet) baby grey. The past week I took him outside. He will climb a little but he is mostly listening. Today I left him outside. Two hours later my husband and I walked outside, we called for him but he didn’t come. We went inside and soon heard him scratching at the door. It was a successful release and recapture. I know the risk of him being outside and domesticated. The squirrel IS afraid of animals. I love the squirrel but he does have natural instincts of survival. He has free roam in the house also. I’m worried. Will he be able to go outside during the winter (our coolest day has been 83)? If he wants freedom will he have enough time to find a nest? And if he stays in the house during the winter will it mess up his hibernation cycle? Has anyone been thru this!?

pamela lee
10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
He is probably only 8 weeks old now. Which IMO is way too young to be outside on his own. He still needs to be in a cage. If he's a Grey squirrel, they don't hibernate, but they do need a nice warm nest box to sleep in. He still has about a month before he will be old enough to release. Even though he has natural instincts he would still be dependent on his mom at this age.

brkamb
10-18-2007, 12:15 PM
What is IMO?

pamela lee
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Sorry. IMO is In My Opinion.

brkamb
10-19-2007, 10:25 AM
O, I'll have to remember that.:)
The squirrel must be older because he doesn't need a heating pad to stay warm anymore. I still have him on a high fat, high calcium milk. He is almost full grown. He scavages thru the day and when he is ready to come inside is on own our screens making a racket. I stay at home so I keep an eye on him. I've never heard that greys don't hibernate. My husband said he has ran apon 10 to 15 grey squirrels in a hallowed out trunk sleeping before. He is a timber scout.:dono