PDA

View Full Version : parvo

littlebluehen
10-12-2007, 10:25 PM
can baby squirrels get parvo?

TexanSquirrel
10-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't know. It would be good to find out though.

:Welcome to TSB

Do you ask out of curiosity or is there a sick baby in your life?

littlebluehen
10-13-2007, 10:37 PM
im asking because my daughter was raising 2 orphend squirrels, and they became tired and dehydated, lost weight in a matter of 2 days and where being fed on time . they would not t or drink . and i hav raised a squirrel before. and was able to let her go in the yard. she lives a normal squirrel life and has babys of her own. but the ones my daughters was trying to raise died. we where very upset about it. and she thinks maybe it was parvo. but i dont think so.thank everyone for your response. and help to find out the nswer to my ?

TexanSquirrel
10-14-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm sorry no one else has responed to your thread. That's not typical of the squirrel board...I really wish I could tell you yes or no but I don't know. Sorry.

Pam
10-14-2007, 03:20 AM
:wave123 littlebluehen. Sorry to hear about the baby squirrels your daughter was raising. :grouphug

I found some info on how parvo is transmitted, but it would not allow me to copy because of copyrights... "Parvovirus is specific to dogs alone and cannot be transmitted to humans or other pets of a different species."

Here's the link if you'd like to read up on Parvo.
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Hope this helps.

GhosTS
10-14-2007, 04:50 AM
What do you feed them.Thats my main concern.Just in case..:)

Gabe
10-14-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't believe rodents can get parvo. If you tell us what they were eating, how often, how old they were and the progression of their illness we can probably tell you what went wrong.
Although you had success with your squirrel it is not always that easy to raise a squirrel.

island rehabber
10-14-2007, 06:10 PM
I've only heard of dogs and raccoons getting parvo....never any type of rodent.

littlebluehen
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
thank you all for replyin with concern to my quistion the baby squirrels where fed kittin formula and they had hair. and i think about they where about eight weeks old . the one i raised did really good. and was tured out to be free.