PDA

View Full Version : cow's milk conundrum...

finetoons
10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
OK, I get it...don't feed the babies cow's milk. I've been following that advice religiously along with many of the other recommendations made by you wonderful squirrel people. But what I don't understand is this:

They LOVE the whipping (heavy) cream
They LOVE the yogurt
and they even LOVE the esbilac.

But aren't those all made from cow's milk?

GhosTS
10-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Esbillac is not Cows milk.Thats why we use it as the formula for the babies.

Heavy cream and Yogurt is not the staple diet.

Too much of Heavy cream WILL cause severe diarrhea.Its only used to increase the fat level of the formula.Not given to the squirrels straight.And only used in small amounts.

Yogurt has the yogurt culture ( Lactobacillus + other useful bacteria for digestion ), and its also partially digested.So squirrels doesnt have a problem with digesting it.This also should only given as a treat.Not as a main part of the diet.

When they are babies their only diet should be Esbillac or Fox Valley formula.They are specially formulated.They are NOT cows milk.

Hope this will clear things.

4skwerlz
10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
When they are babies their only diet should be Esbillac or Fox Valley formula.They are specially formulated.They are NOT cows milk.

They are made FROM cow's milk, but they are not just cow's milk. The controversy is between folks who take milk from a carton and add stuff to it to increase the nutrition, versus the prepackaged formula, which is made from cow's milk, but has a lot done to it/added to it that you cannot duplicate in your kitchen.

finetoons
10-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing them any harm by giving them other milk products. They really -do- love that extra splash of cream with the esbilac.

thundersquirrel
10-14-2007, 09:29 AM
also, i believe someone mentioned before- the key problem is lactose. heavy whipping cream contains no lactose, but other milk products do. that's what upsets the digestive system.