PDA

View Full Version : Bedding and Cage Questions

LilPaige
10-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey Y'all:wave123 I have a 9 week little grey guy named Simon, as some of you know. So I've had him in his cage for about 3 weeks now and I've been using blankets to line his cage and to cuddle in. Well these things are starting to stink! I wash them daily, but it seems after a few hours of replacing them they smell horrid, and I'm washing and replacing all the time. I want to know what I should use as bedding in the bottom of the cage? I used to use timothy hay for Alvin my older squirrel, then I replaced it with Care Fresh. My hubby says I should go back to the timothy hay for Alvin and also use it for Simon as well. I thought I should ask more experienced people. So what do you all think?
Also while I'm here I am trying to get Alvin ready for release. I am starting to leave him outside in his cage all day, and bringing him in at night. He doesn't have a nest box, he sleeps in a puppet on his hammock. I want to get him used to a nest box and wanted to know if I should put it in the bottom of his cage or if I should hang it in the top? How big should a nest box for one squirrel be?
And finally what do you think about Alvin(7 mo. old) and Simon(9 wk. old) ever getting along? We have introduced them and Alvin just could care less. He's not interested in Simon at all. Simon seemed curious at first, but would rather just go about doing his own thing. I would like for them to be able to get along, but it's probably wishful thinking. I would like it if I didn't have to release Alvin alone. It would be great if he could have a buddy, you know? I was kinda hoping also that when I had a release cage outside they would share it. Not locked in it, but come and go as they please.

pamela lee
10-07-2007, 12:37 PM
If I were you I wouldn't worry about introducing them since Alvin is already ready for release and Simon still has about a month. I used newspaper (not the shiny colored pages) in the bottom of Peanuts cage. He still had his favorite blankies to sleep in. I made him a nest box that he loved. Here's a picture of the nestbox and the nestbox in his cage.

LilPaige
10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Just a little info on Alvin. He's not exactly ready for release yet. He's just now being introduced to the outdoors. I think it might be another month before I can actually let him go. He's really domesticated and he's not really afraid of other animals. I'm trying to get him used to outdoors and then I'm going to have to "wild" him up.

pamela lee
10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Just a little info on Alvin. He's not exactly ready for release yet. He's just now being introduced to the outdoors. I think it might be another month before I can actually let him go. He's really domesticated and he's not really afraid of other animals. I'm trying to get him used to outdoors and then I'm going to have to "wild" him up.
Oh okay. Well I just had the one squirrel, so someone else will have to tell you if their too old to try to make them be friends. I think it's great that you're going to be releasing them. It will take time, patients, love and courage on your part. Good luck, I hope it works out.
Pamela