PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel w/ possible broken front, right paw or shoulder...

ocean.cookie
10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
So, yesterday, I found a squirrel who was trying to get away but couldn't. Every time she would try to get up she'd fall over oto her right side. She never really put any weight on the paw, but did use it as we were feeding her the milk replacer for kittens and water. She's eating nuts as well, and is adjusting just fine, but I'm extremely concerned about her leg.

We don't have the money for a vet (who will most likely say put it down, anyway) and I don't know what I should do.

Should I leave it alone?

Attempt to splint it?

Just not sure at all. Please help me out here.

Buddy'sMom
10-06-2007, 12:46 PM
:Welcome and thank you for wanting to help out your furry friend!

A few questions for info that will help our rehabbers better advise you:

1. Does this look and act like an adult squirrel?

2. Was she able to hold the nut with both paws to eat? Or leaned down to nibble it on the ground?

3. Is she still free outside or have you got her in a cage or carrier of some type?

Many times wild squirrels have what seems to be a bad injury to a paw or leg, but after some quiet time, they are ok or on the way to recovery. The falling over when she put weight on it may be a sign of a more serious injury, though -- is she still acting the same way today?

If she is in a cage or needs to be caught for treatment, it would be better for you to find a licensed rehabber (animal rehabilitator) in your area -- they are trained to help wildlife (vets may not be). If you click on the Rehab Information and Locations forum, you can look for someone there. If you have no luck, let us know -- our rehabbers have other lists and directories to consult.

:grouphug